Future Games

Does anyone know by what process, which games are chosen to be translated into English? I would imagine it has a lot to do with how well the game sold initially, but I wonder do G-Collections or Peach Princess listen to requests?

I know there’s quite a few Japanese games, that I’d like to see translated to English.

generally we don’t take requests unless it’s by a company that we have already worked with, unless we ask for it…it’s not like we can make cold calls to any company we wish…

the main deciding factor would be foreseeing how the game will be sold HERE, meaning how the general public perceive/react to that product/theme. there are titles that we (and most of the people on this bbs would imagine so) thought would be a big hit but it didn’t turn out as well as we hoped to be (i wont say which titles). keep in mind the culture/mindset here is totally different than the one in japan. something that sells well in japan doesnt always mean it will sell well here too.

doing popular titles have its big hurdles such as the presumption (by the japanese part) that it will sell just as many as it is in japan (which is of course never the case) and therefore requesting insanely high and unrealistic license fees from us. believe me, we have tried that

Thanks for the quick reply!

The process makes much sense, and I can imagine it can be quite hard to predict which games will do well here.

That being said, is there any likelihood of games such as Shuffle or Kanon being brought here?

No. They are by companies that they don’t work with. They only work with Crowd and Will at the moment.

Plus, those games (I know only Kanon for sure, though) were very popular, which would result in expensive licensing fees.

Yet Kana, Crescendo, and the Do You Like Horny Bunnies games [ ] were popular too in Japan. I think Kana’s popularity was even on par with Kanon’s.

[This message has been edited by Dark_Shiki (edited 05-10-2005).]

quote:
Originally posted by Lamuness:
generally we don't take requests unless it's by a company that we have already worked with, unless we ask for it....it's not like we can make cold calls to any company we wish...
So just warm up the phone. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]
quote:
the main deciding factor would be foreseeing how the game will be sold HERE, meaning how the general public perceive/react to that product/theme. there are titles that we (and most of the people on this bbs would imagine so) thought would be a big hit but it didn't turn out as well as we hoped to be (i wont say which titles). keep in mind the culture/mindset here is totally different than the one in japan. something that sells well in japan doesnt always mean it will sell well here too.

doing popular titles have its big hurdles such as the presumption (by the japanese part) that it will sell just as many as it is in japan (which is of course never the case) and therefore requesting insanely high and unrealistic license fees from us. believe me, we have tried that

Then again some that didn't sell well there could sell here quite good.
quote:
Originally posted by Jinnai:

But who's gonna front the money to take that gamble?

quote:
Originally posted by Ecchifan:
But who's gonna front the money to take that gamble?

(Secretly taping into the vast resources that are Ecchifan's numerous bank accounts) Laumness mysteriously discovers the funding to translate PP BBS member's game requests for a full year!

Considering PP's translation rate, that equals what, 70% of one game.

To quote my little departing from G-Collections letter,

•Win the lottery and guarantee costs for minimum print runs of new games(this would be one of those last resort kind of things, mind you).

goes to Vegas. “Come on, baby, daddy needs a translation of Furumikake!!!”

That’s if they win more than expected. They can just slap it onto the cd if costs are that tight.

quote:

Yup! Like Brave Soul. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img]
quote:
the main deciding factor would be foreseeing how the game will be sold HERE, meaning how the general public perceive/react to that product/theme.

My advice? Forget those angst-filled, tear-jerker, OVERRATED games which are loved by Japanese for reasons connected to their unique society (remember the Crescendo and Kana flop [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/frown.gif[/img]... ).
Most Western (male) b-gamers seek only 3 things: amusement, variety and (female) exposed flesh. Therefore, give us relatively original games like Viper Paradice and Brave Soul or, if you don't want to risk your livehood, simply release sex romps gifted with great graphics and/or hot babes (story is optional in this equation, but it would be a nice bonus).
Even dark games are a sure bet, in my opinion, but choose carefully your "targets", in this case. Erogames like my beloved Saimin Gakuen -forgive my clumsy review, but I assure you that this game is a masterpiece!!!- are a great choice! Erogames like THIS... (Perhaps a courageous choice, but... LOTS OF FREE ADVERTISING GUARANTEED!!! -just keep close your best lawyer [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/tongue.gif[/img] [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/tongue.gif[/img]-).

quote:
...and therefore requesting insanely high and unrealistic license fees from us.

I don't know NOTHING of Economics (although my comprehension of Computer Science is even worse...), and I'm curious: what is/how much could be a "average and realistic License Fee"?
quote:
Originally posted by Baldo:

My advice? Forget those angst-filled, tear-jerker, OVERRATED games which are loved by Japanese for reasons connected to their unique society (remember the Crescendo and Kana flop [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/frown.gif[/img]... ).

[img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/tongue.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by Dark_Shiki (edited 05-11-2005).]

we need more games like season of sakura and kana. i would personally love to see kana oakeri translated. I like bishoujo games on the lighter side of the emotional spectrum and games that sometimes make you think as well and have a good story.

------------------
Please visit www.ladylita.com for a magical experience.

quote:

I don't know NOTHING of Economics (although my comprehension of Computer Science is even worse...), and I'm curious: what is/how much could be a "average and realistic License Fee"?[/B]

i can't say how much, but i can say that the companies will most likely ask for double to quaduple of what we have been paying for other (existing) games

so...getting a popular title in japan at double or more price when we can get 2 or more games with that amount of money, and with no solid guarantee that it will generate double or more sales here...there's no math here, but i think you get the logic

I wouldn’t mind if someone finally publish D.O.'s Kazoku Keikaku in english.

quote:
i can't say how much, but i can say that the companies will most likely ask for double to quaduple of what we have been paying for other (existing) games

so...getting a popular title in japan at double or more price when we can get 2 or more games with that amount of money, and with no solid guarantee that it will generate double or more sales here...there's no math here, but i think you get the logic

True.

I wish there would be more simulation games like True Love brought over... Unfortunatly i know that won't happen as long as the current situation exists.

[This message has been edited by Jinnai (edited 05-12-2005).]

Sigh…I wish some loli-ish RPG’s like Aselia and Sinfonia would be brought over… Unfortunately I know that won’t happen, well, EVER.

[This message has been edited by Dark_Shiki (edited 05-12-2005).]

Lesbians.

That’s what I want.

Never say never, Dark_Shiki. There is a lot of time for it to change. :slight_smile:

Aselia doesn’t seem too loli for this market, IMO.

[This message has been edited by Benoit (edited 05-13-2005).]