G-Collections survey

Hi guys !!
Go to G-Collection and answer the survey.
Looks like they are thinking about
releasing a DVD game or is that to much to hope for??

Thomas

The last thing I hope they think about doing is releasing a dvd game. A dvd media windows game, I can handle, but not a dvd game…

I wonder what the net connection questions are about. They couldn’t be thinking about online distribution could they? Or perhaps they are thinking about enhancing their site.

prays really hard

DVD version of Fortuna.

keeps praying really hard

I did their survey.

The net connection is anyone’s guess… But the disconnection question might be hinting at some sort of online download activity. Maybe demos or trials?

It seems that they are thinking about releasing a game on DVD… shudders
Don’t have a DVD drive.

Hehe looks like someone needs to upgrade

A DVD drive is not a needed upgrade. They are still expensive enough and not needed to play today’s games.

Expensive? Meh. You can get a cheap one for 60 dollars or so, at least around here you can.

Plus there are a few games that are out on DVD that are worthy enough to be bought. And in the next year or two, you’ll see a pretty big increase in DVD games as there will be games coming out that are of Doom 3, HL 2, and Halo 2 quality. Farcry for example, although I think that’s on CD. But eventually people won’t stand for the five CD or more sets.

------------------
精神 の 神

I don’t buy PC games, only bishoujo games.
Games belong on consoles.

Besides, you’re basically asking me to shell out for a new PC here, just so I can satisfy your demand for me to get a DVD drive. :stuck_out_tongue:

Haven’t tried a DVD game yet, but this old computer of mine actually has a DVD drive in it, so I guess I could always give it a whirl…

quote:
Originally posted by Benoit:
A DVD drive is not a needed upgrade. They are still expensive enough and not needed to play today's games.

One word: Myst.

2 other words (or is it 4 or 5 )

Far Cry, Unreal Tournament 2004

I don’t like mindless FPS games.

one word… obsolete…

How old IS your computer, anyways? All the computers I’ve bought for the last 10 years or so CAME with DVD drives, for about the same cost as a CD drive.

No offense, but I’ve been sorta surprised that PC titles are still coming out on CD’s. Can’t remember the last console title that I bought that was CD.

Oh, and PC’s are for games. Consoles are for inferior games. PC games have the potential to be far superior to any console game… because PC’s are far superior to any console.

Oh, and yeah. Not a big fan of mindless FPS games myself.

quote:
How old IS your computer, anyways? All the computers I've bought for the last 10 years or so CAME with DVD drives, for about the same cost as a CD drive.

What the hell? You must have been smoking stuff. 10 years is way off.
And at the time I bought my PC, 6 years ago, DVD itself was still fairly new.
quote:
Oh, and PC's are for games. Consoles are for inferior games. PC games have the potential to be far superior to any console game.... because PC's are far superior to any console.

I can't believe you said that.
PCs were never designed for games, while consoles are. Every time a console comes out, PCs need some time before they have caught up. This in itself is proof enough. Consoles change every 5 years. PCs have to be upgraded at least once a year to be able to play the last games. Expensive. Of course, since they don't stop evolving, after some time they are a bit more powerful than the latest console.
Console games most often are far more enjoyable since they are original and focus on gameplay. On PC there's barely anything original, it's mostly FPS and strategy games. They spend too much time on the graphics and developing for new hardware each time.

Consoles are designed for games, that's their strongest point.

quote:
Originally posted by GnatB:
one word... obsolete...

How old IS your computer, anyways? All the computers I've bought for the last 10 years or so CAME with DVD drives, for about the same cost as a CD drive.

No offense, but I've been sorta surprised that PC titles are still coming out on CD's. Can't remember the last console title that I bought that was CD.

Oh, and PC's are for games. Consoles are for inferior games. PC games have the potential to be far superior to any console game.... because PC's are far superior to any console.

Oh, and yeah. Not a big fan of mindless FPS games myself.

GnatB is correct, DVD drives have become almost standard for new pc systes on sale now, except for the barest of entry level systems.

If not, then you can find a DVD drive online for 50-70$ US, if you shop arround online, which is a little more than G-Coll and PP charge for a new release, anyway. DVD burners are a little more expensive, but even they are becoming more and more common.

Some developers are starting to hint that more DVD releases are on the way, despite widespread complaints from the gaming community. COMPUTER GAMES MONTHLY, a pc gaming periodical, put out a demo DVD instead of the usual CD a few months back, and was met with a storm of angry letters.
Personally, I have a DVD+-ROM/R/RW/CD/R/RW drive. I use a small form factor system, so I wanted my optical drive to be as versatile as possible. I bought it online for 130$ Cdn (approximately 95-100$ US). Money well spent, if you ask me.

I've also found it somewhat ironic that there are people who will spend 600-800$ for the latest video card, but will not spend a fraction of that for a DVD drive.

PS. Consoles and Pc attract different gamers, so the games are different. Console games tend to be button mashers, or "twitch" games, whereas Pc games tend to make you think more. Different strokes for different folks, Benoit.
I would like to point out that Consoles are just starting to get on the online gaming bandwagon, where PC gamers have been playing for years.

I also think that it is time to upgrade, Benoit. A six year old computer is pretty old, by PC standards.

Pss. I also think that FPS games suck.

[This message has been edited by kmusky (edited 06-20-2004).]

quote:
Originally posted by Benoit:
Consoles are designed for games, that's their strongest point.

True, true, butr computers have often showed themsleves to have some advantages to console games. Like, a bug in a console game cannot be fixed, unless I'm wrong? (no pro of console games), and you cannot add new stuff to the game thagt may be released. But on the other hand, computers need to be updated quite more frquently than any console for the game to be playable on it... :/

Just to make this discussion more interesting, one of the biggest buzzes at this years electronic entertainment expo (E3) was a new gaming console…designed to play PC games.
Apperently, the creators will not make the consoles themselves but will licence out the technology to anyone interested. There are aready several companies onboard, including gaming PC builder Alienware.

No word from microsoft about this, but it’s interesting that Playstaion3 and Gamecube2 have been announced, but no Xbox2…

For more info go to http://www.discoverconsole.com

[This message has been edited by kmusky (edited 06-20-2004).]

quote:
Originally posted by kmusky:
No word from microsoft about this, but it's interesting that Playstaion3 and Gamecube2 have been announced, but no Xbox2...

Actually, there has been word of the Xbox Next. They say they're aiming for a Christmas 2005 release around November. Here's an article on it at IGN. Xbox Next

------------------
精神 の 神