Game editor position

Hi, we’re looking for a few people who are dedicated to bishoujo games and who will be able to help us get some of our future games ready for release. We’ve had some good news from the companies we work with and will be moving forward again on several of the titles that had been on hold due to programmer scheduling problems. If you’re an extremely dedicated bishoujo gamer who is willing to take a title and work with it until it’s ready to be released (including both editing and thorough testing), we’d like to talk to you. Of course it is a paid position for qualified individuals. Please contact webmaster@peachprincess.com.

I am going to envy anybody who applies for this offer and is gets the chance to test LMM.

* Thinks about getting a greencard *

quote:
Originally posted by Unicorn:
* Thinks about getting a greencard *

Why? I don't think it would require you to be on-site. I mean, look at Lamuness-san and his work on Brave Soul. Hmm, tempted to apply myself except I'm not exactly sure what skill set is required, I wouldn't be able to tell if I'm qualified or not.

But besides the great opportunity it affords someone, the news that they're moving forward on several titles that have been on hold sounds great to me. Excuse me while I go and have a geeky moment of joy... [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]

well, I’d say one of the requirements is that you have to know both japanese and english at a fairly decent level. You need to correspond to both japanese and english source codes if you ever run to problems, which happened in Brave Soul when some of the files are so badly translated I had to fix it myself using the japanese source as reference

for other requirements, go bug Peter…

ADD:
Unicorn, this cannot possibly be your full-time job. Only take this is a side-job or something. So don’t even think you can get a green card because of this ^^

[This message has been edited by Lamuness (edited 06-25-2003).]

quote:
Originally posted by Lamuness:
Unicorn, this cannot possibly be your full-time job. Only take this is a side-job or something. So don't even think you can get a green card because of this ^^

Nope. I just got today in the renai-Yahoo-forum one of those at-random-ads promoting the 50000 greencards a year-lottery when I read one of olfs posts there.

But seriously, I don't think I am yet qualified for that job. My japanese still isn't good enough, even if it has improved significantly during the last 6 months. So, see you in two years or so...

Peter et al,

You might want to at least post minimum requirements as to what you are looking for in terms of an editor.

I mean, Lamuness said an applicant should be competent in both English and Japanese. But what about coding languages and whatnot as well?

Yeah Peter, you might wanna post what the qualifications you need. I wonder so Lamuness how much hours per day did you pour on brave soul

Don’t worry Unicorn-san, you’re not the only one. I’m pretty confident in my English language and coding skills, but my Japanese is pretty bad and I’ve never even looked at Japanese source code. Man, over 12 years of Japanese language courses and I’m lucky if I don’t get slapped during my conversations. I think my parents should have asked for their money back…

…I’d love to, really I would, but I don’t know jack about Japanese (other than a few odd phrases like “kono ore-sama” and “baka-ou-sama”). But the “holding down two jobs” part is the real killer X_X

Have fun, whoever gets it! Don’t forget to write!

Oh, and Peter–thanks for the information :slight_smile:

Definitely want more information. If it’s a job dealing with code and translation of actual Japanese, I’m very out.

If it’s a QA/Testing job, I’m very in. Or rather, as a hobby programmer myself, I’m very good at being bullheaded and running things over and over again to track down where something strange happened, and I have, sorry to say it, a better grasp of English and conversational language flow than most people who end up writing the final dialogues in these games.

… have I mentioned that I spend all my time lately adding sprites to my lovely, lovely, wonderful game that you all want to play when it comes out? grin

quote:
Originally posted by ekylo:
Don't worry Unicorn-san, you're not the only one. I'm pretty confident in my English language and coding skills, but my Japanese is pretty bad and I've never even looked at Japanese source code. Man, over 12 years of Japanese language courses and I'm lucky if I don't get slapped during my conversations. I think my parents should have asked for their money back...

Wow, 12 years of language courses and you think you still haven't been fluent? Are you being honest or are you being kenson [humble]?

Hi, just to clarify, no Japanese would be needed since the game(s) are already translated, although not edited properly yet in some cases. And you’d work from your home – we are already a very virtual company, with tendrils in Nagoya, Gunma, San Diego, Canada, Sweden, and Italy. Gotta love that Internet :slight_smile: Bascally, we’ll be giving you the game engine and files to edit, and you’d take a couple of months to work through the games and endings, testing things and getting them ready for release. You’d have to take responsibility for that title, so it’s something you have to concentrate on (not just fluffy "beta testing). Please reply to me off list if interested.

quote:
Originally posted by Unicorn:
Nope. I just got today in the renai-Yahoo-forum one of those at-random-ads promoting the 50000 greencards a year-lottery when I read one of olfs posts there.
You're on the ren'ai ML?!?! Howcome you never post there?
Drat, no I'll have to watch what I post there as well... [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/rolleyes.gif[/img]

So how many of you guys applied? I also have a bad feel working with something I like.

And yes I do love the internet. I worked for many clients that I never seen. I done many projects in languages I don’t understand (but said I done a great job). But one bad thing the internet had done to my work life. "You’re sick, you can still work at home. Bah!!!"

PS: Testing is not an easy job.

quote:
Originally posted by Peter Payne:
Hi, just to clarify, no Japanese would be needed since the game(s) are already translated, although not edited properly yet in some cases. And you'd work from your home -- we are already a very virtual company, with tendrils in Nagoya, Gunma, San Diego, Canada, Sweden, and Italy. Gotta love that Internet ^_^ Bascally, we'll be giving you the game engine and files to edit, and you'd take a couple of months to work through the games and endings, testing things and getting them ready for release. You'd have to take responsibility for that title, so it's something you have to concentrate on (not just fluffy "beta testing). Please reply to me off list if interested.

hmm sounds intresting, but HOW would one go about editing these files??? a hex editor? or they gunna be like them funky files that nekoneko used for SG an mizurio nscritp.dat type things?. If it dun reqire too much in the programming dept or out on the fringe skillz to edit files im up for it, (almost like a dream come true) i could work on em 24/7 XD an it'll be a better way to "waste time", basically in short whats the full details required for the job and special skillz and what u drink u reccomend for the longs nights of play....uhh work

TH

quote:
Originally posted by olf_le_fol:
You're on the ren'ai ML?!?!

Yep. I joined just days after you mentioned it around here for the first time.

quote:
Howcome you never post there?

First of all, because I have good manners. I wouldn't raise my voice, while all the grown-ups are speaking. Instead, I sit down and listen with awe.
Second: Because the random-ads annoy me very much, I don't visit the ML frequently.

quote:
Drat, no I'll have to watch what I post there as well... [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/rolleyes.gif[/img]

That's no bad idea at all, even if I wouldn't be there... [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by Unicorn (edited 06-26-2003).]

oh ya the other thing i forgot to add, is the posision perm or temp? or the occational title? and the rate of pay seems to be one of the fewer minor ques missed out oh an will the stuff work on windows XP that is the biggy thing ^^

btw who/what email address do one e-mail?? all? or jus the guy pimpin by the corner shop? or PP himself?

quote:
Originally posted by bokmeow:
Wow, 12 years of language courses and you think you still haven't been fluent? Are you being honest or are you being kenson [humble]?

Actually I'm just pointing out how stupid I am. 2 years in college, 2 years in High school, 8 years between elementary and high school at a local Japanese language school. I just have a real problem with languages. (Probably why I'm sometimes very literal, sometimes very anal about my language use.) Plus, growing up, I really didn't have anyone to practice with. All my fluent relatives lived on other islands, my mom spoke some sort of local rural dialect (which made no sense to me) and most of the bilingual kids I grew up with spoke Chinese!

Hmm, and Payne-sama probably opened up the "flood gates" since I'm guessing the language probelm was what was holding most people back. Now excuse me, I have to write an email... [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]

All inquiries and “applications” should go to Peter at peter@jlist.com

To answer some of TH’s questions, although Peter would be the best guy to answer them (ie don’t take my word 100% although I should be mostly correct). The position I believe (but pretty sure) is on a freelance basis, ie per title basis, ie you work on one particular title and only that title and when you are done you are done. The pay…well you will have to ask Peter yourself; that’s something nobody would post in the public anyways.

ADD:
Although I can’t possibly speak for every single game out there since every game is made differently, but you are most likely given pre-compiled files to edit and test which you can open with any text editor; I doubt a hex editor is needed at all. Here’s a good reference. If you know how to, for example, open a HTML document in notepad and edit the text but not mess with the html tags, then you are prolly good enough for the job, editing-wise. OS…I personally don’t know the exact answer myself, but I would assume any english-based windows OS (except 95 I would hope) would do fine. No MACs please…

Disclaimer: This is entirely my personal opinion and observation. Peter may or may not agree with what I say :stuck_out_tongue:

…but I am speaking out of my experiences with BS though.

[This message has been edited by Lamuness (edited 06-26-2003).]

Actually, I sent my request for information to the webmaster@peachprincess.com address Peter mentioned at the top. That’s what I get for following instructions…

I’m happy you guys reminded me about the ren’ai ML, I have my settings so I don’t get every single message and sometimes I forget to go read through them. I’m still reading messages from last month…