Game editor position

quote:
Originally posted by Lamuness:
Personally I have no idea how Peter will select the most suitable candidate...

underaged applicants...good point....but then this "job posting" technically (at least the best of my knowledge) was only shown here on this BBS, peapri's main page, and the newsletter. All these spots "technically" shouldn't have any minors lurking around anyways....

Looking at the people who received replies from Mr. Payne so far, I believe that programming experience is one of the qualfications.

The underraged problem is actually quite serious. While technically you're supposed to be 18 and up to lurk around these boards and buy these products, you never know if you'll encounter some weird state law that pins more responsibilties on the companies for enforcing the over 18 restrictions.

If I'm in Mr. Payne's shoes, I would require whoever I hire to send proof of age (copy of driver's license, other photo id, birth certificate, etc.) along with signed copy of the confidential agreement.

and with the internet and graphic/photo editing software HOW by any chance is anyone gunna know its a fake or not? i think its put to the fact if ur underaged an caught he WONT be held responsible for it kinda thing, also i’d be afraid to “leak” such personal information across the net/s-mail y’never know WHOS gunna tapinto ur e/s-mails an stuff so that kind defeats the object ^_^;

jus a thought nuttin more nuttin less XD

EJ

quote:
Originally posted by TraitorHunter:
and with the internet and graphic/photo editing software HOW by any chance is anyone gunna know its a fake or not? i think its put to the fact if ur underaged an caught he WONT be held responsible for it kinda thing, also i'd be afraid to "leak" such personal information across the net/s-mail y'never know WHOS gunna tapinto ur e/s-mails an stuff so that kind defeats the object ^_^;

jus a thought nuttin more nuttin less XD

EJ

Actually, by proof of age I meant snail mailing a photocopy of driver's license, birth certificate, etc. not foolproof against tampering, but not as easy. The idea is to demonstrate that the company has taken every reasonable step to ensure it's not hiring a minor for an adult's work. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

If you’re going to pay someone, you generally have to request an SSN/TIN for tax purposes, yes? Most adult webmaster programs do so, anyway. I’m not entirely certain if there’s an easy way to plug in an SSN and find out someone’s age, but it seems like a possibility, at least.

… As for me, I got an initial response and then haven’t heard anything since.

I continue pushing my game towards release, writing up all the endings…

quote:
y'never know WHOS gunna tapinto ur e/s-mails an stuff so that kind defeats the object ^_^;

That's what encryption is for.

quote:
Originally posted by Ecchifan:
Looking at the people who received replies from Mr. Payne so far, I believe that programming experience is one of the qualfications.

It's not a formal requirement, but from what was described, it will help. Sort of like having the ability to resist the urge the throttle people on a regular basis isn't in my job qualification but it sure helps me to get through the workday... [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/tongue.gif[/img]

quote:
Originally posted by ekylo:
It's not a formal requirement, but from what was described, it will help. Sort of like having the ability to resist the urge the throttle people on a regular basis isn't in my job qualification but it sure helps me to get through the workday... :p

The trick is knowing when NOT to suppress that particular urge. You'd be amazed what kind of results you can get if you know when a good strangling or two will help "grease the wheels", so to speak...

quote:
Originally posted by Nandemonai:
That's what encryption is for.

HOW do u encrypt s-mail????? wut u do shove the thing into a crypt? or catacombes? =P

EJ

quote:
The trick is knowing when NOT to suppress that particular urge. You'd be amazed what kind of results you can get if you know when a good strangling or two will help "grease the wheels", so to speak...

Actually, I've sort of just given up on the whole suppression thing. It's much less stressful to just give in to the urge all the time...

And though it was slightly silly comment, you can encrypt s-mail. What do you think they were doing with all sorts of secret correspondence before e-mail came about? It'd just be a manual process instead of an automatic one but all you need is some sort of coding cipher that's shared between the parties.

I think everyone is looking into this way too deep lol.

Goes back to writing another damned essay.

quote:
HOW do u encrypt s-mail????? wut u do shove the thing into a crypt? or catacombes? =P
You can use a basic ROT-13...
More seriously, PGP was created for this purpose...

quote:
Originally posted by olf_le_fol:
[quote] Originally posted by TraitorHunter:
[b] HOW do u encrypt s-mail????? wut u do shove the thing into a crypt? or catacombes? =P

You can use a basic ROT-13...
More seriously, PGP was created for this purpose...

[/b] [/quote]

Read carefully. He said snail mail.

Actually, you can encrypt snail mail rather easily...mail floppy disks back and forth. Well...nowadays I'd imagine it might actually be cheaper to mail burned CDRs back and forth.

...or if you wanted to be, gee, I dunno, SERIOUS about it you could encrypt it, print it out, then use a scanner.

quote:
...or if you wanted to be, gee, I dunno, SERIOUS about it you could encrypt it, print it out, then use a scanner.

why scan it??? when u jus printed it out ?? but anyways aint that a lil overkill for s-mail??? i rather send 128bit encrypted e-mails

quote:
Read carefully. He said snail mail.
*shrugs* And? You can still ROT-13 your snail mail or PGP it! Of course, reading might become a nightmare, but... ^^;;;;;

Wow, what a lot of replies! I am sorry for not checking back in most recently. Just to state officially, we’ve got FAR MORE interested people in any best testing/checking of games work than we could need, thank you for everyone who has shown interest. The problem is, we’ll maybe get 2-3 games back from Will the rest of the year, and since I got about 25 interested persons from 10 different countries, obviously I can’t accomodate most people. I apologize in advance.

If it’s possible for anyone who is interested in working with us on the games to come to the San Diego Comic Convention held very soon, I’d appreciate it, as it would give us chance to talk. It’s not a requirement, but if you can come by I’d like to say hi and chat about various stuff.

Okay, back to my hard work. Gob! Gob!

quote:
Originally posted by Peter Payne:
Wow, what a lot of replies! I am sorry for not checking back in most recently. Just to state officially, we've got FAR MORE interested people in any best testing/checking of games work than we could need, thank you for everyone who has shown interest. The problem is, we'll maybe get 2-3 games back from Will the rest of the year, and since I got about 25 interested persons from 10 different countries, obviously I can't accomodate most people. I apologize in advance.

You really don't need to apologize, I think most of us realized there'd be a high level of interest for a limited amount of positions. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if the number of lemon-based homicides and soul dealings increases in the next couple of days... [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

quote:

If it's possible for anyone who is interested in working with us on the games to come to the San Diego Comic Convention held very soon, I'd appreciate it, as it would give us chance to talk. It's not a requirement, but if you can come by I'd like to say hi and chat about various stuff.

*sigh* Second year in a row that I really wanted to go to the Comic-con but couldn't. I swear, one of these days I'll start putting faces together with aliases... [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/tongue.gif[/img]

Well it is a pretty far trip for you isn’t it ekylo? Hell I live like 2 hrs away and I don’t think I’ll go

quote:
Originally posted by wanfu2k1:
Well it is a pretty far trip for you isn't it ekylo? Hell I live like 2 hrs away and I don't think I'll go [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/tongue.gif[/img]

Just a little. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img] It just means I need to plan and save up a bit more than other people if I want to attend. (Heck, I went to GenCon back in 2001, and that was much further!) Besides, it's not like there's all that many good conventions happening here...

ekylo, why no post ur self to america? to my noledge its the easiest an quickesty way there, btw u should stop complaining, i havent left england in 10 yrs long time ago an im now to bl00dy broke to do jackbobs =/

EJ

quote:
Originally posted by Peter Payne:
Wow, what a lot of replies! I am sorry for not checking back in most recently. Just to state officially, we've got FAR MORE interested people in any best testing/checking of games work than we could need, thank you for everyone who has shown interest. The problem is, we'll maybe get 2-3 games back from Will the rest of the year, and since I got about 25 interested persons from 10 different countries, obviously I can't accomodate most people. I apologize in advance.

If it's possible for anyone who is interested in working with us on the games to come to the San Diego Comic Convention held very soon, I'd appreciate it, as it would give us chance to talk. It's not a requirement, but if you can come by I'd like to say hi and chat about various stuff.

Okay, back to my hard work. Gob! Gob!

Wow. 25 applicants is definitely a lot of interested people. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img]