Game series that died but shouldn't have...

1 more to add…

WING COMMANDER and don’t tell me the Arena Arcade game on XBox live is a Wing Commander game, it’s not IMO.

I grew up on Quest for Glory(or rather Hero’s Quest as it was originally called). I agree about the fifth one being lackluster in comparison. A lot of that has to do with the fact they were attempting to make it a multiplayer platform, then decided to scrap that idea but keep the system ‘as is’. Then again, I suppose you can’t really say the QFG series ‘died’ considering the Cole’s had a set plan from the beginning, and completed it. Speaking of which, there is actually a remake of QFG2 currently in beta stages as well.

I would have liked to have seen more Shadow Heart titles, personally. Or some more games in the Planescape setting.(Planescape: Torment was brilliant, but it barely delved into the twisted depths of the Planescape setting.)

I also agree with Shadowrun as well… I loved the SNES version, and ended up playing the Sega version.(Though it was a bit or a let down.)

It’s always sad when gems end up under appreciated and forgotten by the masses.

EDIT:

Another game that came to mind that I really wish they had continued, was Dungeon Keeper. I was so looking forward to the third one until EA canned Bullfrog, and Dungeon Keeper 3 was lost to the winds.

Ooh Quest for Glory. O_O;; I remember that series. I never finished 3 and never really played 2, but I did enjoy the titles. :slight_smile: 4 was really good. That was the first RPG series I’d ever played.

Oh, and another one: Gabriel Knight series. It was pretty cool… but it was never continued. Though, Jane Jensen’s working on a new game now: Gray Matter.

Alundra!

I loved the first part and then the second was… totally unrelated! :shock:

I really would have wanted to know whether Alundra and Meia meet again (favorablky in 2d), but instead I got a story of a bitchy 3d-pirate-princess… :cry:

Dragon’s Lair and Space Ace should be added to this list. Campy as hell, but awesome concepts in gameplay - 1983 technology here.

Dragon’s Lair
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLgF_kQT6wA

Dragon’s Lair 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv5D-lrIOgc

Space Ace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v0f9L1lIi0

Oh, yes I always thought Lunar needed even more. A Silver Star Story anime would have been awesome…
GHALEON… (John Truitt) I miss you…!! lol

With Working Designs gone, in case anyone is interested and for my nostalgia’s sake; I uploaded my english Lunar SSSC’s cutscenes to youtube in the new High Quality format…
[meaning you need to go to your youtube account and set your video quality preference for High Quality if you haven’t, to get the most out of these videos…]
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p … 1B69419CB0

It’s too bad Working Designs were unable to release the PC version of Lunar in english… It was supposed to have the highest quality graphics/cutscenes of the bunch (or so I read on wiki)…

Lunar Eternal Blue- For me was a great game that i really hoped they would continue the Series on. Lunar Silver Star Story a Prequel was Enjoyable as well… but i never got to see another Lunar Game Series come out.

Japan released Magic School Lunar for Game Gear, then Saturn as Magic School Lunar Remix or Remake. Few years later, Japan and America released Lunar Dragon Song for DS. I really wanted Lufia sequels, Battletoads, and River City Ransom.

MORTAL KOMBAT !
We need more ninja clones…

No just kidding.

But seriously : Megaman (2D… and the real one, not the shitty ones like those on GBA, …).

Oh ! And I really miss Resident Evil… :cry:

Not dragon’s lair since a new opus is under dev ^^

Esh’s Aurunmilla

http://www.dragons-lair-project.com/games/pages/ea.asp#
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTl_2pjFIbk

A few cabinets of this reached Italy and me too.
It was cute, but I’ve never cleared the game, therefore I don’t know if it’s really “Games series that died but shouldn’t have” material…

Let’s see… apparently, any game Sid made will eventually get a new sequel. Sid’s company will be republishing Colonization using a modded Civ 4. They are even naming it: Civilization 4: Colonization. It will be a stand alone product, so you won’t need to have any Civ4 to play it.

Colonization fans are rejoicing— and Alpha Centauri series fans are wondering when he’s going to get around to doing Civ 4: Alpha Centauri , and if it will be before the fan group gets AC modded in Civ 4.

That’s a cool site there. I totally forgot about the existence of Time Gal and Ninja Hayate. Glad someone out there still remembers 'em.

Legend of the mystical ninja for SNES was one of my favorites~

Everyone knows the Lunar series ended on a high note with Eternal Blue. There was never a terrible game called Lunar Dragon Song for the DS. Nor was it ever given a mediocre translation. People who try to convince you of its existence, or show you pictures/gameplay, are obviously lying. I mean it. Really. :evil:

Near the beginning of this thread, someone mentioned the NES game Shatterhand. I didn’t know in 1990 that it was a de-licensed game, and that the original version was based on the tokusatsu series Tokkyuu Shirei Solbrain.

It’s been at least six years since the last Lufia game. If the series were brought back now, it might suffer from being buried for so long.

Finally, the previous poster mentioned Mystical Ninja. That would be one of the four Ganbare Goemon games released in English. Sadly, this is one area where Konami has seriously failed (see also: Gitaroo Man – which got eclipsed by other music games, the late arrival of Rock Revolution, Parodius, the differences between Beat ‘n’ Groovy and Pop ‘n’ Music, and the even greater differences between Brooktown High and Tokimemo). And there’s been no new Ganbare Goemon games since 2005.

I’m confused, are you saying I have crappy taste in my love for mystical ninja? :? (I was only aware of the English SNES release)

If so I take no offense, it wouldn’t be the first time I loved what everyone else calls a crappy game :lol:

sigh

Square-Enix never delivered on a FF7 remake. Maybe next console generation? :frowning:

[b]Hearing this reminded me how boss a full blown remake would be[/b].

And of course there was that tech demo from years ago.

Back! Back, foul necromancer!

As long as we’re necroing 2 year old threads, I’ll just chime in and say that it’s a shame that the Kino’s Journeys games were never brought over.

Arise zombie thread!!

Shadow Hearts. I’ll admit 3 was silly, but I still found it entertaining. If possible I would’ve wanted to see how things would continue from the good ending considering how 2 ended Yuri gets to go back in time presumably to ensure the good ending happens, but that aside I really would’ve wanted to see the storyline continue into World War 2 and I wanted to see what the next Valentine family vampire would look like.

Another I wish hadn’t died would be Arc the Lad as I enjoyed the trilogy. It’s a shame the PS2 sequels weren’t up to par with the original three.

On a side note, I think this would’ve made an interesting series if it had been allowed to continue:

http://www.blisteredthumbs.net/2011/03/ … /#comments

Ogre Battle 64 It never got an proper follow up, the rest of ogre battle games is kinda just a FFT knockoff but with more crappy character unit graphics and only on handhelds.

I wanted to use all my units in a fight instead of just 5 or 9 something vs npc’s 30 something.

Valkyria Chronicles, Yeah i know 2nd and 3rd is on psp but as far as I concerned, I think SEga is doing their best to kill the series, they promised the 2nd would be on console instead of handheld if they sold good amount, they went back on their words so I haven’t bought anything else from Sega. Pity coz I enjoyed skies of arcadia. Played it like five times already.