Has an anime ever moved you to tears?

The problem with the manga was that it just started getting ridiculous.

Wow, Narg, I bow to your psychoanalytical skills… m(-.-)m

I cryed when Spike died at the end of Cowby BeBop. But, more to the point, anime in general nevers fails to engage me emotionally. Here’s one way of looking at it: you go see a live-action movie and while you might get caught up in the characters momentarily, you know that Martin Downey, jr. is not really Ironman and that as an actor, he has a life outside the movie. But with anime the character really is that character (even tho you may distantly be aware that what you’re seeing are just cartoons and that the voices are being provided by some seiyu in a little box somewhere. When something happens to that character, the effect seems more real. To put it another way, Scott McCloud in his book: Understanding Comics, shows how a cartoon has more power to engage the interest of a viewer than does a more representational drawing.

This may just be me, but I always feel sad after watching anime–even the funny ones. There is a long tradition in Japanese art of mono no aware, the melancholy contemplation of the fleeting beauty of things, and I think this is apparent in anime, as well as what you might call “high” art.

Buying spoiler tags

Hey Narg another thing I thought of while watching Scrapped Princess:

There’s another aspect to the whole CZ, Zefirys Conflict… Basically that in the course of the show Zeffy was able to overcome her programming (Helping Pacifica save Shannon from Natalie’s Brainwashing.) While CZ was unable to.

At least that’s my take on it

Agreed.

[spoiler]I believe the Peacemakers were designed to strictly obey their commanding authority, so that they couldn’t be controlled by the alien invaders. Of course the aliens ended up having the controller of the Peacemakers betray humanity (Celia Mauser), so that turned out to be a bad idea in the end (unlike the Dragoons, who were loyal to humanity itself - not a central command).

So it was Celia Mauser who prevented Cz from being happy. :frowning:

Yet technically, maybe Cz did break her programming. She was supposed to kill Shannon… but she didn’t. For that moment when she allowed herself to die, Cz overcame her programming enough to let Shannon kill her.

I like to think that Cz died with a smile on her face… at least she knew Shannon would survive.[/spoiler]

While this thread is going a bit off the purpose it was intended for, I can’t help but chime in some more regarding Scrapped Princess.
I’m not sure if you remember, but when the history of the “ancients” is being told, it is revealed that the Dragoons were so powerful that they were a threat to both humans and the enemy. That is why they added in the need for a Dragoon Knight as a controller. However, adding in the human element of the Dragoon Knight also weakened the power of a Dragoon. That is why the Peacemakers were created, and also explains the safeguards built in to them. One other point: Cz was not required to kill Shannon. The only thing she was truly required to do, like all the Peacemakers, is make sure the Providence Breaker was eliminated. Since they were all “locked out of the system” and unable to return to the world, the fight in space had no real purpose; it was just a continuation of previous hostilities. This makes Cz’s death all the more tragic.

True… especialy the fact that Bando or Rando (I don’t remember) didn’t die after being cut in half…

The end was really sad… or depressing.

About Sutepri, I was more moved when Fulle crawled desperately back to Pacifica, and especially afterwards when Shannon found him and said “Someone should tell him that, wherever he wanted to go, he’s not able to go there any longer, or his soul will not know rest.” Then, when Pacifica cried, without knowing why, when the bath locker key fell from her pocket.