Hobibox homepage replaced

i just visited the hobibox homepage and i found it to be the japanese version of it not the english one does that mean they have taken there other english one down to update or a more sinister reason ? well hoping its only being updated LOL

Actually, you’re redirected from Hobibox Europe’s main page, to Hobibox’s Japanese page. It could go either way, but it doesn’t sit well with me.

I hope so too, but why not put something up in English saying, “We are currently updating our website. We thank you for your understanding and will now redirect you to our main site.” Or something equally inane that people put up?

If it does what does this mean for the game, Shield Gun Warrior Sakigake was it not? Part of it is already in English I thought?

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 02-16-2004).]

I have lost any hope and faith in Hobibox. Sadly, i’ve been expecting this to happen … ~~ sad…

But…if it were PeachPrincess or G-Collections, oh my … ~~…let’s hope the day never come …

[This message has been edited by Noirbo (edited 02-16-2004).]

There’s a link on the redirection page that says [per excite translation ]A HOBIBOKKUSU company guidance site is from here. That linked page appears to be “under construction”. Don’t know if it means anything, but let’s hope this is just a web site rebuild. It seems odd that the parent company would just pull the plug without any kind of notification, but then it’s strange they didn’t include any explanation in the redirection either. I couldn’t find any news on the web about Hobibox Europe’s demise.

Remember the total lack of communication dealing with the game for such a long time? Given that it might not be amazing if they just vanished without any warning. However, let’s hope that is not the case.

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 02-16-2004).]

quote:
Originally posted by SCDawg:
Remember the total lack of communication dealing with the game for such a long time? Given that it might not be amazing if they just vanished without any warning. However, let's hope that is not the case.

Hey! You're making sense! You're not allowed to do that. How dare you confuse me with the facts!

In all seriousness, this does not look good for any projects they were working on. I suppose the real test will be what happens with all the titles they have already released. Given that - so I hear - their last few game releases have been haphazard and buggy, so that the gameplay was adversely affected ... and there was no patch ... this bodes ill for the future of any game they had announced.

Weren't there others that the company had announced that proceeded to drop off the face of the earth? That just were never mentioned again? Like, one was some kind of magic school simulator or something?

grumbles yes, they announced alchemic girl years ago, getting me very excited, and then completely failed to ever mention it again.

Which did drive me to make my OWN magic school simulator (Charm School) but I STILL wish someone would release the original one - I really wanted to play that!

Sulk. And still no legal english Princess Maker either. THe bishoujo world hates me.

I’ve learned long ago to try and not get overly excited about any game announcements. Doesn’t always work though…

That sucks, I was hoping to play Sakigake too But if you think about it, they haven’t had any communication with the fans in a while and when was their last release?

I do not even heard of this company prior to Sakigake, I take it then it has been quite a while since they released a game?

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 02-18-2004).]

now Peter or Lamuness havent posted anything on this yet and they seem to know about what is happening with Sakigake as of the update they gave when they spoke to the ppl in Japan about that game so im guessing if anyone would know one of them would well im hoping at least LOL as neither of them have said anything i still dont want to hazard a guess of why they took there english sight down…

sorry but i dunno whats happening…i don’t even pay much attention to hobibox europe (or japan) myself…

quote:
Sulk. And still no legal english Princess Maker either. THe bishoujo world hates me.

The beta version is legal...
quote:
Originally posted by Benoit:
The beta version is legal...

Actually it's sort of a gray area. I don't think the beta version was ever released officially in the US. And the fact that it's a "beta version" at all brings up all sorts of other questions...

A good friend of mine downloaded his beta version of the game from the website of the company/person who was developing it. So I would think it’s legal. :confused:

quote:
A good friend of mine downloaded his beta version of the game from the website of the company/person who was developing it. So I would think it's legal. :/

Depends on when he got it and from which company. Even then, it's a little goofy. Um, let's see if I can find it...
http://princessmaker.maison-otaku.net/interview.html

This is an interview with one of the guys I'm guessing held the license at the time. According to it, he had the license until March 2002, but you can read what he says about downloading the beta version.

quote:
Me: Very understandable. Next question, although it was never intended
to get out and be played and discovered by people in the beta stage,
what do you think about the popularity and 'cult status' of the
unreleased game?

Tim: I'm very happy that people have had the opportunity to enjoy
Princess Maker 2. I mean, that was my whole goal. I wasn't even sure
that we were going to make any money off it. I was, I just wanted
people to be able to play the game. I wanted everybody else to enjoy
Princess Maker 2 as much as I have. That being said, I am now
contractually obligated to make sure that nobody can get copies of the
pirated version of the game. My contract very specifically says that
Intercorp is supposed to distribute the game and as the sole remaining
US rights holder it is my job until 2002 to make sure that there are no
illicit copies floating around on the internet. Alright, to protect
Gainax's copyright and Intercorp's copyright - even though they are
bankrupt and the trustee for the state of Florida won't return my
calls. I have to live up to my terms.

If it was up to me, I'd put it on the internet and sell it myself, but
uh... I can't do that. So yeah, I'm very happy that people have the
opportunity to play and see the fine game. But just be aware, that if you
got the game on your website, I have to tell you to shut down. Take the
game off the website. After 2002, I have no rights anymore, so I can't
tell you what to do. But uh, so... but until March 2002, I'm afraid,
please don't pirate the game. Anyway after that, you're still not supposed
to pirate the game.

So that means that even now, it's still illegal? Or what?
?_?

EDIT: Though I would still like to know the legality of the beta version, I now say...
Screw this! Lord Khyron(the good friend I referred to) just passed me the game again, like a year ago to replace the bootleg I had! I now can play Princess Maker 2 again! And it's legal, folks, because I have a mint copy of the JP Saturn version! [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by Benoit (edited 02-24-2004).]

My guess is that the beta English version is still considered illegal. You’d probably have to dig through all the copyright information to be absolutely sure.

But the main point is that you do need to check around a bit before automatically assuming something is legal to download. For instance, when they announced that they were no longer pressing Season of Sakura, quite a few people immediately started claiming that it was now freeware and can be downloaded freely. But JastUSA still had the copyright, they just stopped producing the original version to bring out the one in the Jast Memorial Collection.

quote:
So that means that even now, it's still illegal? Or what?
?_?

Um. That's what the post says.

Just because HE can't go after you for it after March 02 doesn't mean the copyrights expire, just that his contract rights do.