Ignorance about bishoujo games

Yeah, that Christian thing was just a pure generalization. And don’t get me wrong, I used to be one, I still consider myself to be slight, I don’t like to be affiliated with organized religion though. But why I say Christians, is primarily of their view on homosexuality. It’s weird and makes no sense. I had these three friends, total hardcore Christians. I wouldn’t say they hated gay people, they just didn’t accept them. Though, all my other friends, a lot who are Christian or Catholic, don’t care if someone’s gay or not. So yeah, what I said was just pure generalization. And don’t we all need to be generalized now and then? If we’re not, then how can we see our weaknesses?

------------------
精神 の 神

quote:
Originally posted by SCDawg:
Treat him like a child who is telling you all about why someone is a bully for stopping his bullying?

No, ignore him. "Smile and nod" is a reference to nodding and smiling, as if you were paying attention.

Anything to the extreme is bad. Balance is the key. You shouldn’t take the bullshit that the Pope says these days as Christianity’s views as a whole. Many of us don’t agree with what he says.
I accept homosexuality. A good friend of mine is gay, but I accept it. My opinion still is that it’s not natural, but I accept that they are that way.

EDIT: I just posted. I think you might like it.

[This message has been edited by Benoit (edited 05-29-2004).]

quote:
Originally posted by Nandemonai:
No, ignore him. "Smile and nod" is a reference to nodding and smiling, as if you were paying attention.

I thought it was a reference to patronize him, like you might a bully that complains about bullying.

No, “smile and nod” means just what it says. It means that it’s time to stop arguing with him since he says the same things over and over. Once he says them over again, we just smile and nod, because we’re really not listening anymore.

I just looked at his profile and it would seem that he is a 16 year old high school student. Probably one of the reasons why he tries to justify his position, and possibly the cause of his immature character that I see in most teenagers these days.

… I’m away from the board for some weeks, trying to concentrate of putting my last strong effort into doing a good work of the very last school assignaments, and then when I get back, once again a heated debate against the ignorant and the pirates have started O_o.

Well, about the debate against the pirates, i don’‰t think much can be doen about them. I think they at least should be told of the consequences of their actions, but after that, there isn’t much more you can do since pirates often think in circles or prefer to close their minds to any “outside interfence”… But still, you seem to be doing a good job so far, guys ^_^. Ganbatte, minna-san! lemon-ganbatte-dance

quote:
Originally posted by bishounen_blue:
No, "smile and nod" means just what it says. It means that it's time to stop arguing with him since he says the same things over and over. Once he says them over again, we just smile and nod, because we're really not listening anymore.

That is the first time I have ever heard "smile and nod" simply mean that, truly the first time, normally when I have heard it someone is saying it in a similar way to the idea of damning with faint praise. Kind of making fun of without being entirely obvious.

I have no clue who Kado¬ô is, is it one of us?

But we seem to have a new fighter in the mix against Virgo’s rather limited vision on pirating.

By the way, the way he is acting, I give him two days before he gets nasty or just ignores us, since I think it is not yet time for the “smile and nod” treatment, this might get interesting before it is all over.

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 05-29-2004).]

I feel that the discussion is getting quite complex. It’s getting too complicated for me… Oh well, I’ll still try to participate, just like I did now. Good luck guys.

I’m Kado¬ô. I usually just read the forums and don’t participate on them.I didn’t had time to register here. But after reading what Virgofenix said I got really pissed off!
Anyway I think that there is no way to make that guy see that what he is doing is incorrect! Bastard. Let’s wait for his next replies…

Your forums don’t acept the “¬ô” thingie on the UserName.

Kado¬ô

[This message has been edited by Kado (edited 06-01-2004).]

Welcome to these boards Kado¬ô.

quote:
Originally posted by SCDawg:

That is the first time I have ever heard "smile and nod" simply mean that, truly the first time, normally when I have heard it someone is saying it in a similar way to the idea of damning with faint praise. Kind of making fun of without being entirely obvious.

When I use it, it is a rather strong insult. Not kind at all. It basically means not only do I think there is no way he could be right, but also I consider it a waste of my time to continue paying attention to him.

I don't use it very often, it's not very nice.

[Edit: bishounen_blue was basically right on the mark.]

[This message has been edited by Nandemonai (edited 06-01-2004).]

quote:
Originally posted by Nandemonai:
When I use it, it is a rather strong insult. Not kind at all. It basically means not only do I think there is no way he could be right, but also I consider it a waste of my time to continue paying attention to him.
My favorite obscure insult is a line from a Star Trek episode
quote:
What the Klingon has said is unimportant, and we do not hear his words.
Not many people remember McCoy's clarification.
quote:
I just called the Klingon a liar.
I used it for something DaveE said once and was surprised that he missed the reference.

For a guy claiming to have such high intelligence, he’s really dense sometimes, not to mention having a short memory span… sigh

Intelligent? lol. If he is intelligent why can’t he understand that stealing is wrong?

Kado¬ô

Okay not that anything he has said makes loads of sense but explain this to me if you can he at one point said, somethning about for everyone of us there are three pirates but then they are still the minority? Correct me if I have not heard of some new math existing but if they outnumber us three to one aren’t they the majority?

That makes what about the 10th time he contradicts himself in the same or a follow up post?

Not to mention the sudden claim of his being a boy genius.

He’s arguments are becoming laughable actually, or maybe I am just tired.

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 06-02-2004).]

Just to protect the not-so-innocent - the DaveE I was referring to is Dave Endresak, a former admin of this board and now an occasional irritant on GC and other b-game forums. He is on record as a staunch opponent of piracy and has no connection to the current debate on the optigamer board. That discussion is hopelessly mired in personal ethics, IMHO. You’re dealing with someone who hasn’t the faintest idea of lawful behavior and doesn’t understand that some people adhere to higher standards.

Well true, and someone that is now trying to flaunt perfect scores on tests as a sign that he is more intelligent then all of us put together so his point must be right. In a strange way this is becoming even more fun when it comes to reading his responses, he is getting flustered and will soon just stop replying which I am surprised he is still doing to be honest.

Sorry somehow got a quote of my previous post here and just deleted it.

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 06-02-2004).]