Import services in Japan

Hello all, hope everyone is having a great summer

I have a question about the import service in Japan where they will buy certain items for you with a fee (like 20% of the total). I knew a place called Anime & Comic Japan but they seem to be inactive right now. If anyone knows any other places or sites, it will be greatful if someone can post them~ Thanks in advance.

quote:
Originally posted by hotsuma:
Hello all, hope everyone is having a great summer [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

I have a question about the import service in Japan where they will buy certain items for you with a fee (like 20% of the total). I knew a place called Anime & Comic Japan but they seem to be inactive right now. If anyone knows any other places or sites, it will be greatful if someone can post them~ Thanks in advance.

You might want to try JIGS, http://jungle-scs.co.jp/en/ , as they used to offer a finding service for items. Sometimes they couldn't find what you wanted, but I do recall they used to at least let you email them to see if they could find something for you.

Also, try:
http://www.crescent-shop.com/

Thanks for the sites, guys, I appreciate the help

Yeah, I, as well, was using ACJ until they went dead (at about April of this year)… Currently, I’m using the services of Akibado), as JIGS doesn’t seem to do bishoujo orders…

there’s also www.celga.com they help you bid on yahoo!japan auctions. you’ll be surprise what you can find there.

[This message has been edited by burnout (edited 08-21-2003).]

Hey, olf_le_fol, how is the service of Akibado? Are they reliable and did you deal with them before? Any info would be appreciated, thanks~

I ordered from them a dozen of times and so far, I don’t have any reason to complain about their service.
It’s to be precised I only deal with them via email, sending to them what I exactly want (title or name of the product, manufacturer, product code, price, URL where the product is advertised, etc.)

Sounds good enough, I contacted them and got the reply from them so I guess I’ll try their service, thanks everyone again for their help ^_-

Uh… J-List?

http://www.jlist.com

quote:
Originally posted by Made in DNA:
Uh... J-List?

http://www.jlist.com

Dunno if that applies here...
Do they accept orderd for items that are not in their catalog?
For example: If I want to buy a japanese bishoujo-game that even Himeya doesn't hold in their catalog, is there any means to ask J-List to get if for me?

quote:
Originally posted by Unicorn:
Dunno if that applies here...
Do they accept orderd for items that are not in their catalog?
For example: If I want to buy a japanese bishoujo-game that even Himeya doesn't hold in their catalog, is there any means to ask J-List to get if for me?

There is no catalog and you can request special orders. If you happen to stray outside of what they usually carry (toys, magazines, figures, DVDs, photobooks, snacks, some traditional style items, etc) you are looking at a more difficult time of course. But it never hurts to ask. The worst they could say is 'Sorry'.

Games aren't their thing really. But the original question wasn't game-specific. Moreover, I just checked all those other sites, they can't touch J-List. They're giving it a good try perhaps, but...

Best regards,
Made in DNA

[This message has been edited by Made in DNA (edited 08-28-2003).]

shrugs
I’m using Akibado for all of my bishoujo needs (games, magazines, anime and merchandise) and I have no complaint about them. I can even order from them items that are sold in Comicket!!!
As for JList, the only fact they want paiement in US$ is a big no-no for me, as I’m from France, thus would lose from the conversion Euro → $ → yens, since they’d apparently convert the yen price into $ to give me an estimate and I’ll have to exchange Euros into $…

quote:
Originally posted by olf_le_fol:

"Comiket"

J-List goes to Comiket twice a year.

"thus would lose from the conversion Euro --> $ --> yens, since they'd apparently convert the yen price into $ to give me an estimate and I'll have to exchange Euros into $..."

What on earth are you talking about? What's the difference? You still have to convert. You lose out on E to Y too. Or are E magic money?

Made in DNA

quote:
"Comiket"

But do they take orders for it?
quote:
"thus would lose from the conversion Euro --> $ --> yens, since they'd apparently convert the yen price into $ to give me an estimate and I'll have to exchange Euros into $..."

What on earth are you talking about? What's the difference? You still have to convert. You lose out on E to Y too. Or are E magic money?

As far as I can tell, JList accept payment in US$. Meaning that if I buy stuff in yens, they'll convert it into $, meaning I may lose in the rounding and the operation (I doubt they use the exact official rate at the second of the conversion, nor would round it other than to the upper cent). To pay in $, I'll have to convert my money (Euro) in $, thus losing again in the process (the bank/post/Paypal always have a rate worse than the official one).

Hi, we will always be happy to try to get anything that’s not on our site. There is no way to guarantee anything, and if you ask for something that we don’t have distribution for, then it can be quite hard to get. DVDs, manga, and photobooks are quite easy to order through our distributors, but doujinshi are by their very nature a very different animal since they’re out of print the moment they are released for the first time. I think the reason you don’t see companies continuing with their “we will find anything for you” services is that it’s impossible to even attempt to do this, it’s just too difficult to keep it up and running.

quote:
[quote] Originally posted by Made in DNA:
[b] "Comiket"

But do they take orders for it?
quote:

As far as I can tell, JList accept payment in US$. Meaning that if I buy stuff in yens, they'll convert it into $, meaning I may lose in the rounding and the operation (I doubt they use the exact official rate at the second of the conversion, nor would round it other than to the upper cent). To pay in $, I'll have to convert my money (Euro) in $, thus losing again in the process (the bank/post/Paypal always have a rate worse than the official one).

[/b] [/quote]

Sticking with one exchange rate is to your benefit and ours. If the prices keep changin day to day, then you don't know when to buy. What if you buy something today for $18 and the next day it's $16? Don't you feel ripped off? You know where you stand with J-List. They don't play games with you.

Moreover, just because J-List lists in dollars doesn't mean you are losing out in the process cuz the price that was in Japanese yen was never available to you in the first place. Remember, you aren't in Japan. You can't expect things for a yen price.

Furthermore, just because some sites list in Japanese yen, DOESN'T mean they accept Japanese yen. Don't be fooled. Read the fine print.

Your whole ideas about "loss" is all in your head. Get away from the conversion thinking, and start thinking about whether you simply feel the product is worth the money to you or not. After living in Japan for 5 years, I can tell you, converting will simly cause you more trouble than it's worth. Start thinking "Is it worth X dollars to me?" If yes, buy it. If not, don't. Treat dollars as your own currency, as an extension of your normal self. You will understand what I mean when you can do this.

Value is everything. Price is nothing.

Made in DNA

quote:
[quote] Originally posted by Made in DNA:
[b] "Comiket"

But do they take orders for it?[/b] [/quote]

Have you ever been to Comiket? If you had, you would never ask such a question. I think it's pretty audacious to ask a question like that.

There are HUNDREDS of dealers in 4 to 5 rooms at a convention center that is the size of a VERY LARGE shopping mall.

I'll tell you what, I'll pay your airfare to Japan and back if you come here first, go to the Winter Comiket in December, and buy me the 10 most wanted doujinshi on my wish list.

You only have one day to do it.

If you can't do it, you have to pay your own way.

You should feel lucky that companies like J-List even gave other companies the idea of performing the services of offering doujin at all.

Made in DNA

[This message has been edited by Made in DNA (edited 09-08-2003).]

quote:
Sticking with one exchange rate is to your benefit and ours. If the prices keep changin day to day, then you don't know when to buy. What if you buy something today for $18 and the next day it's $16? Don't you feel ripped off?
No, because I know how to play with exchange rate. I've been buying overseas for over a decade; I know to follow the exchange rate to decide when to order and when to pay, thanks you.
quote:
Moreover, just because J-List lists in dollars doesn't mean you are losing out in the process cuz the price that was in Japanese yen was never available to you in the first place. Remember, you aren't in Japan. You can't expect things for a yen price.
Are you kidding me? I know how to count, thank you, and have access to many ways to import from Japan, with more or less cost or inconvenience.
quote:
Furthermore, just because some sites list in Japanese yen, DOESN'T mean they accept Japanese yen. Don't be fooled. Read the fine print.
Who do you think I am? A newbie? I know the prices of the items I buy, I have the detailed bill for what I'm buying and I'm sending the money in yens; can you explain me how possibly the company doesn't accept paiement by yen?
quote:
Your whole ideas about "loss" is all in your head. Get away from the conversion thinking, and start thinking about whether you simply feel the product is worth the money to you or not.
It's true if JList was the only way I have to have the products I'm interested by. But it's not the case; if through JList I can have some items at a higher price than through another way, don't you think it IS a loss?
quote:
Have you ever been to Comiket? If you had, you would never ask such a question. I think it's pretty audacious to ask a question like that.
I don't want to turn this into a flamewar, but did you even read my question? Yes, I've been to Comicket, even if once. And so? There's a difference between taking orders and NOT being able to fulfill them (which I can understand because I went to Comicket and regularly ask to friends who go there to try to get stuff there) and NOT even taking orders for the Comicket.
quote:
I'll tell you what, I'll pay your airfare to Japan and back if you come here first, go to the Winter Comiket in December, and buy me the 10 most wanted doujinshi on my wish list.
Blah-blah-blah. I don't remember asking for anything impossible like the example you're giving. I asked IF they would TRY to get items, because I DO know stores who would, so save me your superior attitude, okay? Save your "you should feel lucky that companies like J-List even gave other companies the idea of performing the services of offering doujin at all" because:
1) I don't remember asking for doujin (I happen to know a bit how the doujin market works, thank you). I'd rather try with Toranoana than JList or any other "general" stores, anyway...
2) I DO have alternative to JList, so I think I have the right to compare JList to every other way I use to get my different stuff from Japan and not to order from JList if for everyone service they can provide me I can find another way which is cheaper or less inconvenient for me.
3) I don't remember complaining, just explaining why I don't use their service.

Honestly, if you're a PR for JList, the mere fact that you used such a condescending tone to deal with myself, whom I consider a potential customer, is enough for me not to want to deal with you, ever.

Mommy has asked me to play nice, so I’ll ask you this with all gentlemanly intention and honest curiousity:

If you did not want to start a flamewar, why bother to flame J-List from the very beginning?

Listing J-List was legitimate. They import. Someone asked, I offered up. If the original poster had been you, I could understand how you felt, but in this case, it wasn’t. If you disagree with J-List currency policies, okay, that’s fine. Understandable. There were plenty of other places offered up, and since as you say, you are no newbie. So why flame?

Offered up respectably for your submission,
Made in DNA