Large update about future releases from MangaGamer

Not really fond of the red “18+” label on the box.

What sort of stuff in there would cause Jast USA to bring out the censorship crew?

You would be a god if you did it…Just wait a few months for sales to go down.

i would rather have some reprints like the xchange r and 2r and the reprint of crescendo and random fandisks and 3 methods to conquer the world and its fandisk

Any rerelease with added content is more or less a no-go at this point. XChange R and 2R are Crowd games (strike one; Peach Princess hasn’t worked with Crowd in years, it seems like) that Peter already said he chose to pass on (strike two) because he wants to focus on new games. I don’t see that stance changing, which is why a Crescendo re-release with the added content is also highly unlikely.

3 Methods … I think given how long it’s been out, it’s very unlikely at this point. Especially since Jast just announced more than half a dozen titles, none of which were Crowd titles.

Sorry, but I just don’t see it happening. (Can’t honestly say I care too much about XC R/2R, but the added Crescendo content would have been nice to have.)

I hope they finish it soon. I’ve been waiting to buy a hardcopy of Higurashi forever.

Btw, I emailed Hendane about when they might have Higurashi/H. Kai hard copies in stock and they replied with:

Mayhaps their partnership is ending and MH now plans to sell them on their own site alone.

I doubt the partnership is ending. I mean, it might … but unless the relationship really wasn’t working out, that wouldn’t be a very smart move on MG’s part.

Probably what it means is the demand was significantly larger than MangaGamer was prepared for, and so MangaGamer isn’t sure when they’re going to have more copies to give them.

An interesting thing I noticed:

http://data.sankakucomplex.com/img/tmp/ … 38f47b.jpg

This ad claims that Sagara Family is “the best-selling hentai game ever released”. Now, all this means is at one time, it was a true statement; Demonbane might have overtaken it. But Sagara Family is definitely a nukige.

What exactly differentiates ‘hentai games’ from standard eroge? The name implies kichiku eroge or something similar, but does it apply to all nukige? Certainly, Sagara-san would be JAST’s most popular nukige but I thought the (decidedly not-nukige) XChange games, or at least one of them, was a good seller as well.

EDIT: Amazon has a category for them but since only two titles are listed, it’s pretty unclear. I guess it does apply to any nukige.

From the context of the ad you can assume they’re referring to nukige, but it’s likely that the ad predates Demonbane and likely a number of other JAST titles.

That add has been around for over 2 years(I think) They also have another one with Family project that says “Best eroge ever released”
[size=50]They also told me Ymk is a “EROTIC DATING SIMULATION”[/size]

Edit: Also it was never a “Best seller” in Japan

Once upon a time, XChange 1 was their best-selling title. (It was announced that Brave Soul had outsold it, but then this was retracted when the numbers were double-checked.) I doubt that has been true for some time. But it was the first game ever released as Peach Princess, and for a long time it was the cheapest. Especially in older days, when games like Tokimeki Checkin! still cost $50; they dropped prices across the board a few years ago. So for a good several years after it was released, its absolute sales were ahead of Peach Princess’ other products.

As for the term “hentai game” - it is simply the non-abbreviated form of “h-game”. It’s hard to say because nobody here uses the term anymore, but as I see it any game with explicit sex scenes and anime-style graphics (or any 3D eroge by a Japanese eroge company) is a hentai game. In exactly the same way that any h-ova, regardless of content, is called “hentai” - even things like the Koi Hime, or Pia Carrot, or Little Monica OVAs. (Koi Hime != Koihime Musou)

Hentai game is simply a synonym for eroge; those more knowledgeable about what “hentai” actually means in Japanese know the problems with this. But in the same way that “otaku” carries a different meaning in English than it does in Japanese, “hentai” does as well. Peter has simply chosen to use the more widely-recognized term in his ads. (He also continues to use Jast USA as his brand name, even though Jast has been dead for 10 years.)

After I posted I went and looked this up- it was, indeed (before the 1950s, according to Wikipedia) used in a similar way ‘ecchi’ (H) is used now. It went into disuse long before eroge were around though, which is why there’s no such thing as a ‘hentai game’ (with the odd exceptions, like the Amazon category I linked before) but you can still find references to older things under the term ‘hentai’/

In Japan, yes. There is probably no such thing as a “hentai game”. I can think of various game subtypes (like train molestation games) that might be termed “hentai games”, but they probably already have their own terminology.

I was talking about English usage of the phrase “hentai game”, and English uses of “hentai anime”.

Seems JList and ManagGamer have finally formed a contract for JList to distribute some of their games as hardcopies. I think this is a good start to get some recognition to MangaGamer and might even help bring more VNs over. What are some thoughts on this?

moar dating sims XD

The more the merrier

Was this cleared with the DoJ Antitrust and the FTC? Smells like an eroge monopoly. :stuck_out_tongue:

[size=1]No… it’s a not a monopoly. I’m totally joking.[/size]

I wonder … Can a market be so anemic that it is monopolistic because nobody wants to do business in it? :wink:

I think it’s just niche =P

A partnership with J-List is good, but if the primary goal is exposure, being limited to selling only on J-List would be a bit suffocating.