Large update about future releases from MangaGamer

Did we play the same Kirari route in Kira Kira? Because in the version I played, Kirari’s father attempted to kill himself and the family by setting fire to the house. Kirari went back inside to get the microphone, got horribly burnt and then died. Then she returned later, only it turned out that this was only a delusion of the protagonist’s, who had so far failed to accept her death. And you want Dear Drops to be less happy-go-lucky than THAT?

Kira Kira ranks in somewhere among the top ten most depressing eroges I’ve played and by all accounts Dear Drops doesn’t seem to have anything like that. Actually, that’s one of the reasons I haven’t bothered playing Dear Drops yet =p

Out of curiosity, what would be the other nine?

I don’t have a list, I just think it probably would be. Things that immediately come to mind, though:
Kimi ga Nozomu Eien
Pandora no Yume
Aster
Yukiuta
White Album 2 (still haven’t quite finished it but I already think it qualifies, aaargh)
Natsuyume Nagisa
Moshimo Ashita ga Hare Naraba
SWAN SONG
Mugen Kairou 2

I’m sure I could come up with several more than that if I thought about it.

First things. Russo_Turisto didn’t say that he has completed the game with all the rutes. He just say that he feeled a Happy-go-lucky feel from kirari. So far i know Kirari has two endings, It should be the first one. But anyway, having the game doesn’t mean you’ll complete all the rutes. If you don’t like some character then you may not look her rute or you could leave it to the end. Maybe that end is dreepresing, but if you don’t check her rute or if you only played the trial vercion you may think that all abouth her is just like Russo thought.

I meant the character of Kirari, not her route. And she’s alive in the True End, so yeah. Other than Kirari’s non-True end, KIRAKIRA is not really depressing to me. I get more depressed playing nukige (though maybe partially because I don’t like nukige :lol: ).

What I actually meant is that KIRAKIRA is about schoolgirls (and boys) who want to be musicians all of a sudden. DEARDROPS is about musicians, some of which just happen to be schoolgirls. That makes it more mature and less… well, childish. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, True End, my ass. Why do True Ends have to always be the happier versions? Kirari’s normal ending was what Kira Kira was all about. Myself, I hated Kirari’s character. That’s why Kira Kira is my favorite VN. It actually managed to make me depressed for the loss of a character I was initially relieved to see removed.

I agree that most of the value of Kira Kira is in Kirari’s normal end

Not always.Often the good ending is the happy versiÛn. Look to fate. UBW true ending was with just Rin, but in the good ending somehow you ended with saber too that why is good.

Because if you kill off the main heroine, you can’t make fan-discs and sequels and other off-shoots.

Sure you can (link)

HAPPY END DREAM XDAll of my rage

lots of announcements http://mangagamer.wordpress.com/2012/02 … -katsucon/
Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru
Magical Teacher
koihime muso physical release with full voice

Why even bother with titles like this?

Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru interests me

Screw all that, DEARDROPS got a release date!!!111!

Generally they’re cheaper to license, translate and release which means they need less sales to break even.
Selling 500 copies of a game to make a profit is far easier then selling 2000 copies to make a profit.

According to JAST too (Not sure if it applies for MG), sex-fest titles generally sell more then story based.
X-change 1 = Most sales for an English eroge
The Sagara Family = Most profit for an English eroge

That XC1 statistic was true, but it’s several years old. (If i remember correctly, one of PP’s releases was announced as being the highest-ever seller, then it was retracted with a statement that XC1’s lifetime sales still beat it - but it was selling much more rapidly. I think that game was Brave Soul.) I doubt it’s true anymore. And even if it were, XC1 has been purchaseable in physical or download format for … a few weeks shy of twelve years, apparently. With no interruption. It’s also FAR cheaper than Jast’s new releases at this point - hell, they want $11.95 for it now.

I’m curious where the Sagara Family stat came from, though … But in general,yeah, from what Peter has said, yarugee’s consistently outsold story-centric games. (I hope Demonbane bucks the trend, and i really hope Aselier does.) As for MG, I follow MG’s “top 5” chart: it’s dominated by h-centric titles. Granted, the most recent couple of games have been h-centric, and the listings should be dominated by recent games. But so is Kara no Shoujo, and it’s not up there much at all.

However, Score (the brand) seems to be one of the heavy backers behind Mangagamer. There have been several Score branded games released, one of them even in the initial batch of releases. So I think there’s more or less always going to be a new Score title in the works for MangaGamer, it’s only a question of which one. Sort of like how there’s always going to be a Da Capo game in MG’s release pipeline somewhere, it’s just a question of which fandisc.

Edit: OK, Score is a Nexton brand. However, of the Nexton brands, Score has the highest number of games released. So basically, what Lipp said - they’re cheaper and easier to do - combined with the fact that they have easy access to Score because Nexton is one of the drivers behind MG.

I bought XC1 for 7 or 8 dollars, actually. Could have been a limited time offer.

There’s an ad at J-list, that shows up often enough, which claims that Sagara Family is “The best selling Dating Sim of all time” or something like that. I haven’t seen it for the last 3 months or so, though.

I’m assuming Tokimeki Memorial is excluded from that calculation =P

Well, there’s also the fact that Sagara Family isn’t really a dating sim. So the ad is bogus in at least two different ways :slight_smile:

I mean, it’s clear enough what Peter meant - it’s the best-selling H-game in English. But it’s surprisingly wrong :slight_smile: