My 2004 Buys

Haha so that means it’s pretty close to being done. Good good we need more games

quote:
Originally posted by Peter Payne:
LMM will ship this year. I'm dedicated to getting this stupid game out of my hair!!

Wai! Wai!

quote:
Originally posted by Benoit:
Bad girl.
I see selling owned English games as bad for the English market.

[This message has been edited by Benoit (edited 08-11-2004).]

I always wonder at positions like this. In other (less precarious) industries people would SCREAM bloody murder at the mere implication that selling used products was somehow a bad thing. The entertainment industries would love to use DRM to tie us all to entertainment, so that we can't resell things we buy. That is one of the motivations behind XP's product activation, for instance.

As a society we have rejected this notion, as being too far out of balance in favor of the companies. When I buy something it's mine and I am free to do as I please with it.

But I also have a practical objection to this philosophy. At some point, the English market will not need this sort of propping up. Suppose this attitude is widely adopted. Then, when the market is more secure, people will decide they don't have to do this anymore. Then people will start selling used games when they weren't before, which will actually cause a depression in the market! In general, I think, artificial manipulations of this sort don't accomplish as much as one might expect.

quote:
When I buy something it's mine and I am free to do as I please with it.

That's not always true with software/games. If you read the EULA or similar, you would often notice that the product is licensed to you, and that you don't own it. You just purchased the right to use it.

This was done so that modification and piracy and such could be fought by the law.

quote:
Originally posted by Benoit:
[quote] When I buy something it's mine and I am free to do as I please with it.

That's not always true with software/games. If you read the EULA or similar, you would often notice that the product is licensed to you, and that you don't own it. You just purchased the right to use it.
[/quote]

They like to pretend this. I'm not a lawyer but I do know that these EULAs are full of crap; courts have taken a very inconsistent approach to how they've dealt with them.

My personal attitude is that I didn't read it before I bought it, so I'm not bound by it.

Heh… I’m such a packrat when it comes to my computer games that I don’t think I’d ever sell any of them off anyway. I have to keep an older system hanging around just in case the whim strikes me to want to play one of my older games. So I think my bishoujo games are safe.

I’m worried that I’ve become something of a bishoujo otaku, though… for the first time, I’ve suddenly found myself backlogged in new games that I haven’t had enough time to finish–and trying to decide which one to work on, or even whether to just go ahead and start the next one…

Welcome my brother to my world Hey at least you know, you won’t get bored stiff trying to find something you have played yet

quote:
Originally posted by Nandemonai:
But I also have a practical objection to this philosophy. At some point, the English market will not need this sort of propping up. Suppose this attitude is widely adopted. Then, when the market is more secure, people will decide they don't have to do this anymore. Then people will start selling used games when they weren't before, which will actually cause a depression in the market! In general, I think, artificial manipulations of this sort don't accomplish as much as one might expect.

I am not sure where I stand on such an issue,
I can see a slight benefit to perhaps selling or trading a game to someone that is interested but not familiar with these sites or perhaps only willing to pay half for their first game then they might become hooked and start paying full price, but the quesiton is how many would that apply too, and if they buy one half priced would they buy many others half priced instead or go the wrose route of pirating.

Under most software license agreements and court rulings, any product you buy is yours to legally resell to a third party as long as you give up all rights to the software yourself. That means destroying all backup copies and uninstalling hard disk images.

When people say they borrowed a copy from a friend, I wonder if that friend gave them the original disk and will stop playing the game until [if] it is returned or if they illegally continue playing with a backup copy? Assuming that is, that “borrowed from a friend” isn’t just a euphemism for “downloaded”.

quote:
Originally posted by perigee:
When people say they borrowed a copy from a friend, I wonder if that friend gave them the original disk and will stop playing the game until [if] it is returned or if they illegally continue playing with a backup copy? Assuming that is, that "borrowed from a friend" isn't just a euphemism for "downloaded".

Part of the problem is, who first of all reads the agreement and also who stops playing it when they lend a copy even if it is not a pirate thing and they get the copy back? That's not an excuse it is an honest question, it's on the books but if they cannot enforce it, then it becomes meaningless, and it's not a justification of the actions and no I hope they never have the spyware to find a way to enforce that law.

I always assumed most of the time it is a euphemism for downloaded.

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 08-12-2004).]

quote:
Originally posted by Wolfson:
I'm worried that I've become something of a bishoujo otaku, though... for the first time, I've suddenly found myself backlogged in new games that I haven't had enough time to finish--and trying to decide which one to work on, or even whether to just go ahead and start the next one...

Come ... join, us, you'll like it. It's fun!

Depends… games that require the CD to play won’t be played by the loaner… unless they made a copy or go out and get a cracked version.

Usually, when I loan a game out to friends, I’ve probably uninstalled it off my system. It’s rare for me to loan out a game I’m still playing, cause I want to play it more.

I don’t see what’s wrong with someone reselling their B-Games. Isn’t that like giving a new person a discount on the B-Game? I understand that the fine companies that make and translate those games (like our dear hosts, Peach Princess) dont’ get a dime of that action. However, an used game sells for less… so there is a higher chance that the person that buys that game might not be a crazed fan of B-games yet and therefore joins our ranks after playing that used game. Or, they might be starving students and not have the scratch to buy a B-game at premium price (but later, they will, and may then buy premium releases). So where’s the real problem?

[This message has been edited by Darkstar (edited 08-12-2004).]

I also thought of that, but the chance that they will pirate the rest is just as high if they’re starved students just like one that popped in here months ago.

Going back to the original topic I’d have to say Divi-dead is my favorite B game thats been translated to date, story-wise, followed by Nocturnal Illusion. I can’t really describe it but Divi has such a darkly beautiful aura to it, like a Poe story. Critical Point is pretty cool as well because of the scarcity of Sci-Fi in B games. If I had to choose between all those titles after having played all of them that are out I would go with 1. Divi-Dead and 2. Critical Point.

quote:
Originally posted by Laslow:
Going back to the original topic I'd have to say Divi-dead is my favorite B game thats been translated to date, story-wise,
Speaking of Divi-Dead, it appears to have gone of stock at all the usual sites. Was there any announcement about this or have I been sleeping? It's too bad because after the recommendations, I was thinking of including it in my next J-List order. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/frown.gif[/img]

p.s. Looks like Himeya Soft still carries it, but nowhere else.

[This message has been edited by perigee (edited 08-16-2004).]

I’ve played all of the games on the list except for Gibo. Not sure if I’ll get around to getting it. Is it good? The top two I think would be Critical Point and Heart de Roommate. Private Nurse was good, but something just didn’t fit I guess. I think my 2 favorite games though of all are True Love and Season of Sakura…well I guess I can put 3 Sister’s story there too. TL was the first game I played and that got me to buy the JAST Memorial Collection…etc. My friend and I are currently in the making stages of a B-game, though it’ll probably be haggard cuz we’re not proffesionals…

quote:
Originally posted by perigee:
[quote] Originally posted by Laslow:
[b]Going back to the original topic I'd have to say Divi-dead is my favorite B game thats been translated to date, story-wise,

Speaking of Divi-Dead, it appears to have gone of stock at all the usual sites. Was there any announcement about this or have I been sleeping? It's too bad because after the recommendations, I was thinking of including it in my next J-List order. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/frown.gif[/img]

p.s. Looks like Himeya Soft still carries it, but nowhere else.

[This message has been edited by perigee (edited 08-16-2004).][/b] [/quote]

Well that's not suprising considering how long ago divi-dead was released. Better snatch it up before it's gone like so many other games [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/frown.gif[/img]

True Divi Dead was probably my favorite storyline-wise. I just wish there were more like it translated over.
My friend in fact doesn’t care for the adventure format that most of the b-games come out in, but he said the dark pseudo-gothic aspect made this game actually his favorite.

I’m saving my money for the kiddy cat game translated by G-Collections.

Those cat(neko?) girls are out of this world hot. :slight_smile: