New amaterasu poll up

Well, since this got a favorable review, I’m looking forward to it:

http://yandere.gray7.com/?p=620

So is this game as good as RahXephon storywise? It kinda looks like it (on a side note I asked on another board how it compared storywise to Xenogears…and no one there knew what Xenogears was…made me feel old :cry: )

Ask about it in comparison to other eroge. You’re more likely to get a response that way =P

The only thing is I’ve never played a giant robot themed eroge and I’ve only heard of a few, Demonbane being among them.

The closest thing I’ve ever played to giant robot themed VN was Vanguard Bandits and some of Code Geass Lost Colors on PSP.

I admit I’m not the best source for this, not a viewer of the stuff, but I think people playing Muv-Luv for a ‘giant robot’ title would be rather disappointed - Muv-Luv is depressing, fairly serious and especially in Unlimited downplays the use of mecha. Honestly, Muv-Luv is not an eroge for people who like mecha (who will probably fall asleep halfway through Extra, let alone Unlimited and especially let alone Alternative). It’s an eroge for everyone else =P (especially fans of utsuge)

tl;dr- if you’re a mecha fan that is happy to read for 30+ hours before even getting to anything resembling mecha combat, well, Muv-Luv might be for you. But are there really all that many like that?

Well, I consider myself a casual mecha fan at best (trust me, I know some people who can tell me anything I could possibly ask about anything related to Gundam, Voltron, Tekkaman, and Gatchaman). As long as the story’s good, I could really care less if the mecha action makes up a millionth of the story’s content.

BTW, since this game has a depressing storyline, are we talking anything on the level of Grave of Fireflies or Saikano?

Dealing with the hassle? What can be easier than paying, downloading and playing? :wink: And among the officially localised visual novels is hardly anything better than Kira Kira. Suika is also very good and both these games have a good translation (especially Suika). But of course, it’s your choice not to support our niche market.

Extra and Unlimited together are about 2.5MB of text, so if Ixrec actually goes with rate of 20kb/day we’ll get both of them around summer. Awesome.

Actually, the Katahane translator quit after it became clear that he doesn’t have sufficient skills for the project.

Oh well, it happens.

Circus’ releases are actually only of MangaGamer’s story focused titles that I haven’t bought. Compared to their other releases, pricing on those is… a bit too much.
But by all means, KiraKira is a must-buy. It’s excellent.

1. I strongly disapprove of heavy DRM and really don’t want to buy a mangagamer title because of it. (And recall, I make my living selling games.)
  2. I have store credit with J-List, so it makes a difference moneywise.
  3. I sell games, which is WHY I have credit with J-List, and I have repeatedly asked mangagamer about an affiliate program and they keep ignoring me, which is annoying.
  4. Their translation quality in general makes me slightly dubious, even when a particular title is said to be okay.
  5. Your niche market is not MY niche market. Take another look at Katahane and figure out why I’d leap at that…

What exactly is ‘heavy DRM’? In this case, is it really any more invasive/worse than the ‘soft battery’ system used in a lot of DL titles? Because I’ve been playing ‘soft battery’ games for ages and have yet to experience any problems with them.

As has been discussed here (at great length :slight_smile: before, some of us have a very serious problem with the idea that we need to contact a company’s servers to get permission to install the game, or that we can only install the game so-many times. Especially given MangaGamer’s precarious position - when (not if) they finally do go under, all their products disappear forever.

I eventually decided my need to boycott such insults was outweighed by the fact that the US market for b-games at this point is precarious, and I don’t want to see it fail. Papillon feels differently, apparently :slight_smile:

I’m not really sure what you mean by ‘soft battery’. I sell my own games without DRM, although a mild version is sometimes applied by portals when they’re selling their own copy (and ironically means that the portal copies are the ones that get pirated, as it’s less secure than my way). And rather than install limits, I offer new downloads all the time to customers who’ve managed to blow up their computers and need to reinstall.

I have a membership with a casual site that uses mild drm, but rather than install limits they’re happy to let me delete the games when i’m bored with them and redownload/reinstall them later when I feel like it, so I can keep my games folder as cluttered or not as I choose. Also, they’re a stable company and I trust them not to explode, AND their games are easily cracked so that if something did go wrong and they were sued out of existence I wouldn’t really lose anything. Heck, I already understand their system better than their support staff will admit to (because I needed to do registry fiddling when physically transferring hard drives; they wouldn’t tell me how, I figured it out).

I threw a great big noisy fuss here on the forums when v-mate first came out and refused to buy anything until that went away, because it was beyond insane. I routinely make similar fusses on my game related blog when any company does dumb shit in the name of piracy and try to tell as many people as possible to avoid them (SCREW YOU FOREVER UBISOFT, BUUUUUUUUURN)

Basically, it’s pretty hard for me to support someone when they’re blatantly telling me that my opinion doesn’t matter. Answering my emails or releasing games vaguely relevant to my girliness would help. :slight_smile:

Yes, this is standard enough as far as DRM goes. It can be an inconvenience if you do not have an Internet connection wherever you go.

Hmm, I’d only really view this as much of a problem if you can’t get that number reset. Besides, how many times do you need to install a game before being able to clear it?

Now, DRM on packaged titles is something I don’t like the idea of at all personally and will have nothing to do with. But I don’t think it’s unreasonable for DL sales titles, which you need an Internet connection to buy in the first place, and which inherently can’t make use of ‘harmless’ disc-based methods of copy protection, such as the use of dummy data.

MangaGamer is not a company. It can’t really ‘disappear’ as such - the only thing that will happen is that it will cease to localise new titles. I am confident MangaGamer will continue to sell games in perpetuity.

See, I’ve been buying DRM-laden DL titles for a while and have never had any problems with them. The only DRM system I have ever been tripped up by is, crazily enough, Princess Waltz’s - since it somehow forgot that I had installed the game on both my laptop and PC (I’d already cleared it though, so fffff). The DRM systems the Japanese use have never bothered me and I don’t think they would want to bother me, given how quick the Japanese are to call ‘landmine’ on something. Look at what happened to that elf game. I am not going to argue in favour of DRM because I am not in favour of DRM, but I’m just arguing that it hasn’t really been an issue for me.