Official Post about Shiny Days

@Matthew, welcome and thanks for your comments. Please believe me that the game would have been quite impossible to release if I forced the staff to get in line. Hopefully you'll be happy with whatever patch emerges.

@DFactD So we can never make any change ever, and if the only other option is to not bother with the work, we'll do that instead. It kind of kills the industry, since its most passionate fans remove themselves from the pool of potential customers. Shall we aim future releases at less passionate customers in the future, perhaps copy Huniepop with puzzle games instead of harder-core titles from Japan? I do understand your position, obviously, and it's a shame we couldn't be worthy of your support in any way.

Please don’t blame me for not supporting censored version (especially if this patch does not come through), you just don’t want my money.

This is even worse than the japanese mosaic because it just straight out removes the scenes.

@Douggle, it was intended to be released with mosaic censorship. with no genetilia visible ever. We could do that if you like but I don't think it's what you want ^_^

@AnimeLoverxX93, sorry it didn't work out. We hope you'll considering the other 114 (according to our database) titles that are no censored in any way. If your anger is such that you'll write off all our products because of this one event, which we had no control over, we'll go out of business within a few years, or switch to doing puzzle games on Steam. People love puzzle games, I hear.

Of course we've been here a few times before. We drew panties on a character in Family Project because we needed to maintain the story and the fact that she had to be under 18. There was a lot of nerd rage about it at the time, but a lot of dedicated Romeo Tanaka fans came up to me at conventions and thanked me for bringing out the game, and said it all flowed very nicely. And you know, darned if there wasn't a 100% restoration patch released unofficially for fans who wanted it.

@Dark_Shiki, I am not sure what will be available, but I think most fans will be happy in the end.

@Smith Lin, if we could keep this game within the borders of the U.S., it might be different. But when we have to ship the game to the UK, Canada, Australia, hell even Florida, it becomes more of a problem to have these scenes in the shipping game.

@Haerts that was a mistake, sorry about that. It's subtitled, not dubbed. Dubbed would be...strange.

@ Douggle I think even the original developers couldn't release the game as intended (as the original has mosaic censoring) but i mean http://www.amazon.co.jp/SHINY-DAYS-BD-PG-Blu-ray-Disc/dp/B00GHYPBXE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1429687878&sr=8-2&keywords=shiny+days would be the closest you'd get (or the 300 dollar "first pressing"). I'm not saying that cutting the scenes were a good or right decision, but if that's what it takes to get it released...

I don't know exactly how it is in the US, but it would be really hard to get this in Canada if there was CP or loli-esq content in it so I'm happy that at least that will not be a legal hurdle for us (Canadians).

I don't like censorship (or dubs for that matter), but in some cases it makes things a lot easier, or in the case of non-mosaic'd h-scenes and games normally contraband in my country: possible).

@Dark_Shiki : I don't know how the scenes are usually added back in (I've only played around with the usual patches and undubbing games for DS and PS3), but I would think it'd be about the same as what happend with LWR (copy a bunch of files on top of the steam release). Files that would have given the choices to go to the scene were edited, so they just need to be changed back to the original + a few files to add back the sound/graphic element? <- the only difference is that the video is not pixelated and that there will be an english sub right?

@Smith Lin

I'm extremely disappointed in this release as well; I could understand if the Kokoro scenes would result in legal interferences, that would justify the cut of content, even if it's really bitter.
But, it sounds more like this isn't even the case, the staff members simply act like douches, because they deem this content ''inappropriate''.
Pretty self-righteous, if you ask me... they don't get paid for whining, but for translating after all.
It's not their job to decide on what content gets included, and if they want to boycott a game (and therefore, even the company they work at), then they clearly have no right in the matter.

I really sounds like this is the main reason for Shiny Days being censored now.
I don't believe that an uncensored release of this title would have resulted in legal interferencs, seeing as Mangagamer is seemingly able to release such content without getting any severe disadvantages, or worse.
If the staff is acting like that, nothing that can be done about it... but maybe, it would be a wise choice considering personnel that is more... professional with their work.

Why not make US-exclusive premium version then? Is that possible? I would pay extra for that.

Sorry for sounding selfish, but I don’t want to be burdened by other countries’s censorship laws.

@Peter Payne I would have rather have the Mosaics then having the scenes removed to be honest, this is the 2nd title in recent months that you guys have been saying that we should wait for a restoration patch, why would you knowingly release titles that you know you would have to remove content from?

You can release Romanesque uncensored why you can't release Shinny days uncensored? I think Aria and Kaya are around the same age as kokoro.

Why?

@Peter Payne

Well, even if there are 114 titles you have, how many of them come as a hardcopy?
I'm just buying hardcopies for collection purposes, and just games that I would be interested in.
I'm probably going to buy Lightning Warrior Raidy III and actually, I enjoy your products - as long as they come uncensored and live up to the original.
Actually, I'm in the process of buying a ton of games from you, but all of them are either uncensored, or are with reduced mosaics (which is something I still can't stand, but if the title itself is good enough, or rather, gives off such an impression, then I can cope with slightly-reduced mosaics.
Ask Shane from J-list if you want to, I'm really supporting you, there are tons of games I want to buy from J-list.
Shiny Days would have been one of them, if it wasn't censored... because, it does look like a good game, and I ordered the collector's edition from School Days as well right before it ran out of copies.

Regarding the restoration patch, that's the thing... I don't think that I have to download a patch somewhere and illegally modify a game to get what I want.
Sure, that's a bit far-fetched, we all know about piracy being an omnipresent thing, especially with Visual Novels in general... but, I don't want to use a patch to get what I want, as a consumer. :/
What if such a patch really won't come out?
It's sorta sad, and I'm extremely frustrated right now... it just sounds like the only major reason for censorship in this case was because of some staff members acting like pricks and boycotting the release of the game itself, by not being able to separate their personal opinion from their work.
I thought it is common that people separate their personal from their professional life. :/

@Douggle Happily these are likely the only two games we'll "ruin" by investing tens of thousands of dollars to make English versions of. If you've paid attention to our other products you'll know we've censored only two other titles in our history, Family Project and X-Change 3, because we had no choice in those games, too. (In the cast of Family Project, we drew panties on one character who absolutely had to be under 18 to preserve the story.) All our other games have no censorship.

@Smith Lin, mainly because we don't want to publish this material directly. I hope you'll trust that the full patch will eventually come through the usual channels, though we can't release anything directly ourselves. You'll be happy with the game in the end, I am sure.

I don’t understand it.
There have been games with loli content released by MG in the US, and no one gives a shit, what make you so worried? I don’t think this is a legal problem at all at least in the US, it’s not like you are announcing to CNN or Fox News that you are releasing Shiny Days with loli content, just keep it low-key or have a disclaimer on the box art if you care about uninformed customers stumbling on it.

Still, now that I have your word for a “full patch”, I will continue to wait and see.

Yea I kinda have to agree with the people here who are saying "why not find people who are more wiling to translate certain things". Is the pool of people that small? I do imagine laws in other countries to be a pain though, although it seems this time according to one of your posts it was a threat from contracted staff.

@AnimeLoversX93, J-List has shown more dedication to making hardcopies and keeping them in print for years and years than any other eroge company. You can see all our titles here: http://www.jlist.com/category/808 . A couple of these games are download only but most are available on shrinkwrapped CD ROM, often in 2-for-1 sets (we give you a game for free, mainly to keep as many in print as we can).

Personally, as a fan I'd be much more disappointed in a game released with wither full mosaics (because it means the Japanese company is super anal about Japanese laws, beyond all logic, or that they lost their own artwork), or reduced mosaics (which applies to the first example). Omitting a tiny part of a work but making it available through other available channels seems to us to be the "best" way to go, to be honest.

I'm obviously not able to say whether a patch will come out or not, or when, but hopefully you'll pick up on my overall tone and be reassured. We are trying to make great games for fans to love and support, all while trying to make sure there isn't a new "R***Lay" event in the media or cause exceptional problems with overly moral nations. In the end, fans will be quite happy I am sure, even though we can't include the actual Kokoro scenes in our shipping game.

@Zen, the pool is pretty small, actually, and these days everyone has their own Kickstarter or Steam project and isn't available to work on titles as they've done in the past.

So you are worried that this is going to be THAT event, still nothing comes out of that. People said a lot of things, and just forget about it.

At least this seems to be a case of JAST protecting their clean image than any legal obstruction, at least in the US. I still maintain that you should take this risk, especially nowadays when people are vocal against censorship in media.

I get what you mean by that 'incident' since well if anyone who has seen those scenes knows what they contain. I preordered the limited edition soon as I saw it and am going to remain hopeful to the patches, I just hope someone lets me know where I can get these patches. ;_; Heh I wish you could make it easier on us by including the patches in the download edition or have an option to opt into getting said scenes. Do what you can I guess. I don't really care I just want my beloved Shiny Days English release to come to me already.

To anyone who preorder the game, kust remember to think carefully when you press the button to preorder, because when you do it, you support their decision to censor and encourage them with your money. This means JAST has 4 games censored now, patches not withstanding (not sure if Kazoku Keikaku and X-Change 3 even had patches)

I still think I’m going to buy the digital version somewhere down the road, but as said, think carefully before voting with your money.

@Peter Payne

I wasn't even questioning J-list's dedication in bringing out hardcopies; I'm well aware of how many hardcopies they stock, which is a good thing.
Me asking for how many of these titles came as a hardcopy was a serious question and not supposed to give of the impression of mocking you or J-list, in case you were under the impression of me doing so.
This isn't the case, I assure you. :o
Well, I checked that link out, I already have a good chunk of these games, and the few ones I don't have are either download only (package release of original Kana Okaeri, where are you? ;_; ), or aren't my cup of tea.
For example, I'm not really into titles like Bazooka CafÈ, but I disgress.
There are still enough games that I want to buy from you anyways, so I'm served for the time being.

Hmm, it's subjective, like everything else.
I personally would prefer the scenes intact with mosaics over them being removed entirely.
But, both of these options are something that I would avoid at all costs; one of these options is simply the lesser evil, but both are not options that I personally would approve of, but that's just me.

I doubt something like R***Lay will happen again as of now, seeing as the appeal on Visual Novels in general seems to rise.
So, even if there would be a vocal minority complaining about such games, atleast publishers wouldn't be left alone with the incidents, since there are more and more fans.
Correct me if I'm wrong though, but publishers don't have to mess with these incidents alone any longer, the genre is starting to take off.
Atleast that's the impression I'm under. :o