Official Post about Starless: Nymphomaniacs' Paradise

But you’ll love the reason it was delayed…we were waiting for something special from Sei Shoujo-san.

The issue with delaying the physical release but releasing the digital version is that not everyone orders their box editions from JAST or J-List, therefore not everyone has the digital option. As a customer, I'd be rather annoyed if I ended up getting my game a month late simply because I ordered from another vendor (wait, actually that's exactly what's happening to me with Hanachirasu and every other game I order from Rightstuf...). But even moreso, it's bad for business when one retailer jumps the gun and releases a game, and all the other retailers have to wait. Those other retailers will get angry because that leads to order cancellations and lost sales (keep in mind they're sitting on hundreds of copies they bought wholesale that they have to unload), and if they get annoyed enough they might refuse to carry the games at all in the future. That would be bad for JAST, as they rely on exposure at other outlets.

Mangagamer releases digital versions far in advance, but that's different because the retailers know in advance that the game they're carrying already has a digital release. It's not a surprise as it would be if JAST had a sudden change of plans and decided to preempt everyone else.

@Dark_Shiki

That would make a lot of sense, but according to the product page, you can only pre-order the packaged edition from J-List, which offers the digital download. So, I don't really see the impact it would have. If anything, I think it's bad business to delay the game's release for something that only concerns customers from J-List, who are getting a packaged edition. This is why I suggested releasing the digital version earlier, since we're getting it regardless of where we order from. I think the real issue would be with people buying the packaged game unofficially through a third party, like a forwarding service. However, I imagine that's not very common at all.

But…but…but his interview could have been released as free separate DLC for those who bought the limited edition. Delaying just for this reason was pointless, in my opinion. :frowning: After reading Peter’s enthusiastic reply of “special something from Shoujo-san” and before reading the updated description above, I thought we were going to have some extra scenes for this localized release. My heart almost skipped a beat of this possibility. I won’t spoil anything but those who are interested in the story will be bit disappointed that how some endings are like a cliff-hanger.

Even though Sei states the story of Starless is a done-deal, one of a kind and there won’t be any sequel or prequel, I still feel that it requires LOT of explanation to things that went on in that mansion. Few of the characters could have used some other scenes, as well. Well, I hope he explains the story little bit in detail in his interview as to how such pervasive and f—ed up things happened to the owner of this house and if there will be anymore Starless like games or sequel/prequel to Starless in the future.

Bummer it got delayed, but I'm just glad this game was even given an English port. [waiting intensifies] Whenever it comes out, ill throw my money at the game. More Sei Shoujo games if this sells well! Back to building cities in skyline, we'll be working doing part time work for Mamiya-sama in no time.

"That would make a lot of sense, but according to the product page, you can only pre-order the packaged edition from J-List, which offers the digital download."

Hmm, Rightstuf has this listing ("No Longer Available for Purchase"): http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/nOkdgQun-y9Ejiwoqa/browse/item/92974/4/2834/24

I wonder why Starless isn't available at Rightstuf anymore...

By the way, when I input the the terms "Starless game buy" in Google, a store page doesn't even come up on the first page of search results. I'd call that another marketing problem.

@Dark_ShikiHmmm, I didn’t know that you can (or could) preorder the game from Rightstuf, but it is strange that it’s no longer available. Either way, I think mist purchases will be from JAST/J-List, since they’re the only retailers mentioned on the product page.As for finding information on Google, I definitely agree. I have to specifically search for the store page to get a result, which is definitely a no-no. I think information regarding the game in general could be handled better. I haven’t touched on this, but I really do hope that the removal of content doesn’t affect sales as much, especially with the promise of a patch in mind. I would really love to see more stuff from Sei Shoujo, so I wish nothing but success for this release.

We usually don't do preorders of digital but we can if there's a request for it. The RightStuff thing is an error, will get them to fix that.

I think there would definitely be demand for a digital preorder if it means we don’t have to wait until May to play it. Personally, I have the packaged edition on pre-order from J-List, but if we can somehow get the download code before the game ships next month, then I don’t mind getting my card charged before the game ships out. I mean, we’re getting a digital download anyway, right? If the digital game is available, I don’t see the need to delay it.

Count me in on that digital download, if you are considering the possibility. If it is only to add additional contents on the Limited Edition, which is solely on the package version and has nothing to do with the digital download, then I see no points in delaying the whole game until May 12th. It it is only fair since most fans are waiting on this game to be released since 2011, so anymore pointless delay is not necessary, if the delay has some other agendas unlinked to the actual game.

Anyway, I request for the digital download, as well.

So what exactly is this "surprise"? A June 2015 2016 release date? Solitaire - Starless Edition coming to Steam? A small bottle of perfume that smells like scat? A license rescue of the OOP Discipline with up-scaled CGs???

@HyugaXAccording to the update in the first post, they’re delaying the release of Starless until May 12th in order to include an interview from Sei Shoujo in the mini artbook included in the limited package edition of the game. The interview sounds really neat, but I honestly don’t see the need to delay the game for a goodie included only in the limited packaged edition. They mentioned they might consider going through with preorders for the download edition, but we’ll see.

"They mentioned they might consider going through with preorders for the download edition, but we'll see."

I... don't think Peter said that, in this topic at least.

@Dark_ShikiPeter said this on the previous page: “We usually don’t do preorders of digital but we can if there’s a request for it.” That came after I brought up what I felt was the unnecessary delay of the download edition of Starless over features intended only for the package edition. I might be misunderstanding here, but that’s how I took it, anyway.

Whatever the case maybe, if it is only to add Sei's interview in the package version of the Limited Edition, then it is probably not necessary to postpone everything until May 12th. I'd happily wait for the additional materials from the Limited Edition package but I'd love to have the digital download as soon as possible, if the game is ready to be released. No need to devoid that if the digital download will not interfere with the package edition. I am sure lot of people will agree with me on this, as well. I am just sayin...

@dogmaYeah, I definitely agree. Ultimately, if it’s impossible for some reason, then I’d rather wait for the package edition. However, if we can get our download editions early, which will be included with the package edition anyway, then I’ll be one happy customer.

"@Dark_Shiki Peter said this on the previous page: "We usually don't do preorders of digital but we can if there's a request for it." "

All that means is that J-List doesn't take orders for digital downloads until the game releases. The comment was essentially meaningless since JAST *does* take preorders for download editions. I'm not entirely sure why the two stores use different order systems, but there you go.

@Dark_ShikiHmmm, I see. I don’t really see why the preorders needed to be brought up, but I digress. I agree with the convulted preorder system, too. I just look forward to the release and hope it doesn’t see any more delays.

@Dark_Shiki

I'm not entirely sure why the two stores use different order systems, but there you go.

I've worked at both. Basically staff needs, dev teams and technology cycles attribute to those differences.

I suppose the systems as is do their job, but redundancy is inefficient, especially when one system is clearly inferior (J-List's download orders apparently still need to be manually processed). If it were up to me, I'd probably fold the JAST store into J-List as the digital section of the J-List store (and merge the customer databases). JAST's order system could then be used to process digital downloads for the combined site. Then JAST's website could be a simple publisher website with links to all the official game pages and links to the J-List store pages. It would actually make information easier to find I think. When people ordered a physical edition, the order would automatically populate an entry in the download section.

Streamlining your operations and presenting a single optimized experience for your customers seems like a higher priority to me than cosmetic website changes and forum overhauls. ^^;