Official Post about Starless: Nymphomaniacs' Paradise

@Dark_Shiki

While that would simplify the shopping experience, it would also limit the abilities of JAST USA, making it less independent. Your idea is similar to merging audible.com into amazon.com. There are pros and cons to this method.

Keeping JAST USA independent of J-List allows JAST USA to be more flexible, and change based on its customs' needs faster than if under the J-List umbrella, since game sales for J-List is only 10% of its total, but 100% of JAST USA. For example, the current JAST USA website upgrade was made possible because its not tied to the development of J-List, and vice versa.

Also, not all physical package sales come from J-List. About 30% of package sales come from other sources, like rightstuf.com, faku.com and amazon.com. JAST USA has an intensive to find system methods that benefit these customers as well, while J-List has less motivation to assist its competitors. JAST USA's goal is to localize and distribute visual novels to as many people as possible without going into the red, while J-List's goal is to make money.

Just my two cents ^_^

@ Nicholas Graham

But aren't you all one single company at the end of the day? Why would each piece of the company have different incentives that potentially conflict with one another. You make it sound like JAST is one of those stereotypical Japanese Mega-corporations where each department is its own fiefdom and the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing killing any potential synergy.

Now if each of these pieces is its own legal entity, potentially structured that way to double dip on various state and local tax incentives then it would make sense financially but it's still a little confusing for the consumer for what's essentially one company to have two store fronts.

Also looking at the new JAST website and JAST CONNECT why aren't they part of the same website or at the very least have a clear link to each other at the top of each page? It would make sense to have a link to all of your various sites (including social media) at the top of each of your websites.

I agree with Dark_Shiki that one retail site makes more sense. JAST can be the promotional page with links to the J-List store page. I know you guys have a history of the more brands and sites the better but sometimes less is better as long as all the content is there and its well organized.

Also none of your divisions should handicap themselves because other companies are selling your products. It just means that your sales division needs to step up its game. If I buy 5 games from you in one order and have to pay for shipping and the games all arrive at my place in one large bubbled envelope but I can get free shipping at Rightstuf with my games packaged in a sturdy cardboard box the choice is going to be an obvious one.

That's an interesting insight into JAST's operations. I suppose I have to cede that maintaining separate shops has its uses if it allows JAST to more effectively promote digital sales. Ideally there would be a single digital shop that sold all localized eroge (a Steam for eroge), and JAST would just publish its titles there. Maybe JAST's shop could become that one-stop shop someday.

@HyugaX

Now if each of these pieces is its own legal entity...

They Are.

...potentially structured that way to double dip on various state and local tax incentives

Nope, taxes are not the reason. J-List is incorporated in Japan, while JAST USA is a US company. This means legally J-List must abide by Japanese censorship laws, but JAST USA does not.

JAST website and JAST CONNECT why aren't they part of the same website

Lack of resources, mostly time. We'd like to make it into one site with one login when possible.

@Dark_Shiki

You think like me. Since Steam can't be a eroge shop, either JAST, Mangagamer or someone else will need to step-up. However, this might become a null point if patches to Steam games become the norm.

"Since Steam can't be a eroge shop, either JAST, Mangagamer or someone else will need to step-up. However, this might become null point if patches to Steam games become the norm."

You mean like a patch for upcoming Starless: Editio Regio?

Haha, yes. Starless: Editio Regio ~ House Party Paradise, where you are paid to keep the party rolling at some rich lady's mansion. The game would probably have about 15 minutes of Steam-ok content.

Add some rythm based gameplay to it and its ready for a Steam release!

Not purchasing either.

I waited so long for the US version and simply go and remove the best part (Scat)?
Hell no!
Why not a premium version with Scat enabled?
I'd rather pay more in a worthy version than less in a non worthy version!

I'd rather pay a censored Cleavage (that you guys never released) than a scat free Starless.
Such a dissapointment...

So according to J-List, this is what they have up in their product page about Starless Limited Edition:

"…This game is available in limited package edition or download edition. The limited edition includes a deluxe game box, the game on DVD-ROM and a 48+ page artbook. Customers who preorder the limited edition package version will get the download edition of the game sent free the day the game ships. Preorder now!"

Will they still get the Sei’s interview in that package or that offer will have some form of condescending mesh into a typical beuracratic maze play?† I placed my pre-order on last December and haven’t looked at the progress on my order since then, so I am just bit curious as to how all of these updates will be handled since both of these companies are apparently run by different regulations.† I am just bit curious as they have this message on the Starless product page:

Great news! Starless has gone ‘Golden Master’ and is currently being duplicated. Order your copy now!

Can anyone (preferably a staff) shed some light as to how the limited package will be distributed since this new content has been added in to the package?† J-List did not update their description about the interview, so I am just bit confused if they are even aware of this new change on this product.† I mean should I cancel this pre-order that I made last year and make a new one or should I keep it as it is?

"The release date for Starless has been pushed back to May 12, 2015. This delay is so we can include a special interview from Sei Shoujo in the limited edition's artbook."

Looks like the interview is an addition to the artbook, not the game disk. Given that it usually takes 4 weeks for game disks to get pressed, this is completely consistent with Peter's update in this thread.

Exactly how much scat was supposed to be in this game? =0

@dogma: I think that everyone who ordered the package edition will be getting the limited edition (and then it will be "while supplies last". By the wording it seems that the download codes for people who pre-ordered the disk edition will be sent out the day the game ships.

@OtakuApologist: I can remember about 4 scenes? The original had the scat censored anyways so it was just a pixelated mess.

@Kisaten

I've just had a quick look at my japanese copy, and it's closer to 15 scenes actually.

And yeah, the original's scat was censored as hell, which is the main reason I'm concerned for whether a patch will feature uncensored CG.

@tom-ahawk: Yeah I guess I'm thinking like major events (I remember the 2 endings (the toilet face one and the bad end kinda... oh wait one of the bride endings too?) and 2 forced ones... I'm sure there are a lot of small ones

... and now I know why I remeber the toilet face: https://twitter.com/jastusa/status/587967334742110208

Hehe, we thought that would get a reaction. All those scenes are still in the game, by the way, just obfuscated so that the bad parts aren't visible in our version.

@Kisaten. it was something like that, yes, 15 scenes. In about half of them it was just the last 1-2 pictures of a sex scene, so it's not a problem for it to not be there. We didn't change anything thematically or anything, it's just that the offending layers have (generally) been removed in Photoshop and/or blurred with an in-game effect the engine supports. It's done very carefully and works quite smoothly.

And there will be a patch.

You guys are going to LOVE the artbook.

So what it means is that in those scenes, they will be taking a “ghostly” dump? I mean if all the sounds are there and dialogues indicating something is coming out of their behind but nothing is showing, I guess that’s the only logical conclusion one can make? Starless, the Ghost-Poop Protocols! Haha Why photoshop it? Why not strip down the original code and just add few interface that can turn on/off the scat, since you guys already have the original source codes (I assume) from Empress? That would have saved lot of hours that surely must have been spent on photoshopping all them poops and would have saved a whole lot of hassles from fans, as well.

Nevertheless, I am kind of eager to see what exactly you guys did with one of my favorite eroge. I hope it delivers at the end…

Also, the interview from Sei is already added to the Limited Edition? If so, J-List already has this updated product in their disposal?

@dogma: sounds like it will be ghost poop (or in some cases full out blur?). haha ghost poop sounds like you'd see the outline in a foggy room or something. Haha.

Though I don't think they photoshopped it... assuming they have the source code, they can probably just delete the scat layer of pictures from the scene (like removing the mosaic layer?). <- it would be easier than rewriting part of the game.

I thought people are upset about the principle of censored content. I never knew people were actually passionate about scat. :smiley:

@OtakuApologist: Rule34! With sites like tubgirl and cake farts, anything is possible...