Petition On-Line to translate Princess Maker Series

Hey, guys. I found this petition On-line to translate any game from the Princess Maker series. What do you think? Do you want to colaborate too or not?
More info, check the link bellow:

http://www.petitiononline.com/Reideen/petition-sign.html

I’m all for it, getting as many as possible to sign just might help and it certainly cannot hurt.

I signed a similar petition several years ago, I doubt this one will be more effective. It’s pretty sad, really, I love the Princess Maker concept.

Cannot hurt to sign this one though can it? Eventually they might get it through their heads they have a large amount of people actually willing to pay for these games.

seems to me the petition is going to the wrong place…peapri and g-coll don’t have any say over whether it gets translated or not

they should start a petition to gainax to release the rights!

I don’t know, if either Peach Princess or G-Collections can go to Gainax and say “look how much interest we have, a petition with “X” number of signatures on it to get your games over stateside, and since we are showing it to you, you don’t even need to look for a translation company, just choose which one of us it is to be”, it might actually get more notice then just being filed away in a Gainax vault or deleted from their e-mail system.

The problem with on-line petitions is that they’re basically worthless. It takes no effort whatsoever to sign one, and one signature does not equal one sale, usually far from it. They are also too easy to fake, since a person could register any number of mail addresses in order to get a lot of signatures. Most companies don’t give a damn about on-line petitions, I’m afraid.

Paper mail would be far more effective, but few people bother to actually send a normal letter voicing their concerns and opinions. Too much work for them, I guess…

No, it can’t hurt signing the petition, but I seriously doubt it will do much good. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

Yes but even if one person signs it 90 times if I am a company that to me shows the market is at least worth looking into again and so what if they tried before and failed, that was then, the market for these games might not be the same as the market for say, dishwashers (something not needed that people buy anyway), but the market has grown and is at least worth giving another try, and even if you cannot take this petition for more then the fact that some sign it that still shows interest maybe not a one on one signing to sale ratio, but where in this world is there a one on one similarity to that idea?

I see what you mean, but the companies don’t see it like that. Certainly not Japanese companies, who tend to be difficult enough to persuade licensing their ero-games. I really want the Princess Maker games to be translated, but I just cannot believe that an online petition is going to change the minds of the hard-headed Japanese game developers. The fact that they aren’t trying to license more of their products (like the anime companies do, and get big money from), sometimes outright resist licensing, testify to their stubbornness. The Princess Maker series isn’t even adult, it’s a huge success in Asia, and still they refuse to try. Maybe the previous failure from Softegg with Princess Maker 2 is part of that, I don’t know.

The point is, Japanese companies are stubborn. They don’t jump at any chance they can get abroad like western companies do. An on-line petition will more than likely not make a shred of difference.

By all means, sign it and try to change things (I will too). Just don’t expect that a lot of things will change, because that is very unlikely to happen, ufortunately.

I’ll stop posting my pessimistic views now, before I overly anger someone.

[This message has been edited by AG3 (edited 07-21-2004).]

quote:
Originally posted by AG3:
I see what you mean, but the companies don't see it like that. (...) The fact that they aren't trying to license more of their products (like the anime companies do, and get big money from), sometimes outright resist licensing, testify to their stubbornness. The Princess Maker series isn't even adult, it's a huge success in Asia, and still they refuse to try. Maybe the previous failure from Softegg with Princess Maker 2 is part of that, I don't know.

Well as to the failure from Softegg as I said that was then this is now, they have other companies they can ride the back of even companies that thus far translate mostly adult products which are companies that are proven to do well in selling and promotion of their products. Also to not mess it up as Softegg might have done in the past.

As to their being stubborn, can't someone that is over there from one of the companies that is both there and here knock some sense into them, if need be through "kicking" open a few doors and for a brief second perhaps getting these companies too see the interest in their games overhere?

Yeah it's asking a lot, and perhaps neither practical nor the best way to go about it, but as much as I don't like this tactic, forcing them and more important their money backers, to see the potential amount of good income from overseas might just force their hand right?

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 07-21-2004).]

quote:
Originally posted by AG3:
The problem with on-line petitions is that they're basically worthless. It takes no effort whatsoever to sign one, and one signature does not equal one sale, usually far from it. They are also too easy to fake, since a person could register any number of mail addresses in order to get a lot of signatures. Most companies don't give a damn about on-line petitions, I'm afraid.

Paper mail would be far more effective, but few people bother to actually send a normal letter voicing their concerns and opinions. Too much work for them, I guess...

No, it can't hurt signing the petition, but I seriously doubt it will do much good. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/frown.gif[/img]

The increased difficulty is why people are inclined to pay more attention to paper petitions. And they still don't pay THAT much attention to paper petitions, for the same principle; 1000 phone calls is MUCH more convincing than 1000 physical signatures.

quote:
Originally posted by SCDawg:
Yes but even if one person signs it 90 times if I am a company that to me shows the market is at least worth looking into again

Terribly sorry, but no. It doesn't. If you know people are signing 90 times, you have NO IDEA how many signatures are legitimate. Therefore you will assume the petition is worthless and inflated, and ignore it. At best it represents the opinions of the several dozen people who know how to use ballot stuffing programs, and care about a particular topic. And a few dozen people won't even cover the cost of the phone calls you have to make to the Japanese creators over the course of your development cycle.

Aaah, what the heck… I signed it anyway, because–even if it does no good–I figured it can’t hurt…

quote:
Originally posted by Nandemonai:
Terribly sorry, but no. It doesn't. If you know people are signing 90 times, you have NO IDEA how many signatures are legitimate. Therefore you will assume the petition is worthless and inflated, and ignore it. .

Perhaps you have no idea how many are legitimate, but if you never take a risk you never know if the market is worth it either. Market studies show only so much, because there is no product out there, float a product out there and it is a lot different then asking someone would you buy product 'x' if it was to exist.

Actually I would assume it counts, and therefore also would be a horrible person to have in charge of money because when entering a new market, even with an inflated petition, I would assume the bottomline profit is worthless to look at for the first three years. Why, because short of the mysterious Tickle Me Elmo craze about 10 years ago now, nothing just springs up overnight in popularity to the point of people trying to kill each other for just one item, especially within what they must consider to be the fickle computer gaming crowd.

I think the major point is, the petition at least shows some interest inflated or not, and to hell with making money back in a new industry in the first few years of trying to make it a major or at least established industry. Just shoot for breakeven and hope for a small loss, because no industry just makes money when starting out, and this one, no matter how many years it has been around, is still just starting out. In new industries companies often have to often spend a heck of a lot more then they take in with the hope of making it all up in the future, or that is what I was taught about new industries. Yes many fail, but nonetheless risk is essential or you never will make more then a pitance and never establish the market beyond a few loyal fans who when they die out so does your industry. Maybe my professor was nuts but this is what I was taught.

3 years… many new businesses are lucky if they break even ONCE in a 3 year period of time … it’s usually not until the third year that one breaks even and it could be as long as the 5th before any “real profit” is turned around… or so I have heard… not sure how that’s relevant here mind you, but it just felt good to say. ::grin::

quote:
Originally posted by SCDawg:
As to their being stubborn, can't someone that is over there from one of the companies that is both there and here knock some sense into them, if need be through "kicking" open a few doors and for a brief second perhaps getting these companies too see the interest in their games overhere?

Of course, Payne-san would be a person who fits your description.
But I fear, if he'd try to do what you just suggested, he'll not get past the receptionist who asks him: "Do you have an appointment?" and "Who are you, by the way?".

I am sure, it's not like he'd not already tried to get the bigger companies to support him, but they weren't interersted and what Peach Princess does here is hardly noticed or even rated as a big failure in Japan when they compare the ratio:
(Sales)/(Potential customers in the area)
between Japan and the english-speaking world.

Currently, a lot of renowned b-gaming companies in Japan are already in troubles and some have already finished business this year. Thus the remaining ones aren't too daring for now.

Well the other problem is esssentially Gainax signed the rights for all non-japanese translations of all princess maker games to a firm in taiwan. i can’t remember its name offhand, but that is why there are chinese translations and i guess they have enough of a korean market as well since its nearby.

I will sign it.

Online petitions DO work sometimes. Because of petitions, we got Phantasy Star Online Ver.2 for Dreamcast in Europe, as well as Border Down released Japan as a port from the arcade version.
The problem is that people always think it doesn’t work, and are too stubborn to sign. OF COURSE it’s not going to work if we all think that way!

I’m going to firmly agree with Benoit here. While I know nothing about games and such, I do know there has been more than one TV show saved or brought over to DVD becuase of online petitions. Even if there is only a 10 percent chance that it’s going to do any good those odds are better than no-one attempting to doing anything at all about it…

quote:
Originally posted by Jinnai:
Well the other problem is esssentially Gainax signed the rights for all non-japanese translations of all princess maker games to a firm in taiwan. i can't remember its name offhand, but that is why there are chinese translations and i guess they have enough of a korean market as well since its nearby.

This could be overcome, if they wanted to do so badly enough. This taiwanese firm could get involved; barring that, all contracts expire. It's just that people feel it isn't worth the trouble.