Puella Magi Saga

Figured I’d just make a new thread about Puella Magi, since there’s a lot of info about it, and I’ve become a late-entry fanboi for it. :stuck_out_tongue:

Of course everyone knows about Puella Magi Madoka Magica, which is the “main” line of the saga. However there are several official spin-offs tied to it, that feature an entirely different cast of magic girls… and the infamous Kyubey’s (and said creatures like him) interaction with them. Thanks to Yen Press, they’re getting an official English translation.

Puella Magi Oriko Magica

Puella Magi Kazumi Magica

Despair for everyone! :twisted:

I had read Oriko Magica when it came out, and liked it (even if I found sketchy at best its incorporation into the continuity). I liked the art of Kazumi Magica, but the first volume was kinda meh and didn’t keep reading. Also, it would seem that you can’t walk two meters without meeting some magical girl.

I actually wondered how many witches could be in a single city, and in similar relation, how many magic girls Kyubey could pump out without the other girls figuring out the witch system. I’m guessing that Kyubey creates a magic girl once or twice each month per city.

[color=red]If anyone reading this hasn’t finished Puella Magi, you might wanna stop reading now, cause I’m about to drop major spoilers.[/color]

It’s insinuated that a typical large city has between one or three active magic girls at once. Kyoko was the magic girl for Kasamino City. In the original timeline, Mami was the magic girl for Mitakihara City, who was later joined by Madoka.

The events in Madoka, Oriko, and Kazumi are expressed to be unusual… for basically the same reason. In all three, a magic girl discovers the true nature of the witch system, and tries to exploit or prevent it. Their methods end up causing magic girls to gather around.

As for the witch population. I’m guessing there’s about 24 witches per city over a year’s time. That gives enough grief seeds for Mami, who doesn’t allow familiars to become witches, to last about two weeks without clearing her soul gem. Miki was able to last a week, and she was openly stated to be very inefficient at energy conservation, so Mami could have easily sustained herself (and a partner) with that kind of number. And of course, witches and magic girls go outside their “native” territory from time to time.

Interesting. Never gave it so much thought. Still, it would seem it’s quite often that somebody figures the witch’s system.
Of course, we only get to know the interesting stories. I guess all the other ones when a single magical girl goes around until she dies don’t get their manga.

shame, i’d read that

Now that I think about it… Oriko probably happened in one of the timelines that Homura rebooted. IIRC she found Madoka before Mami did in the Oriko plotline, thus the reason why Mami didn’t die against Charlotte, and didn’t really know Madoka or Miki.

You want more Mami stuff? Nom, nom, nom. :stuck_out_tongue:

I agree though… it be good to read the stories about the magic girls who failed and became witches (or just outright died).

I’d also like to see a story about a magic boy. I mean, it’s not anything new, seeing how Tuxedo Mask is a cornerstone of the genre. And since Puella Magi is about misery and failure, no cliche harem ending. Just good 'ole disappointment and death… maybe even see him turn into a warlock. :twisted: Alas, I seriously doubt that would ever happen. QB must hate yaoi. :wink:

But outside the whole Oriko thing (which was irregular), it seemed like a pretty good timeline. Couldn’t Homura have tried whatever she did there again?
Or maybe she did, in another timeline we didn’t see, and again everything ended up badly when Walpurgisnacht came.

I’m thinking it’s probably this. Walpurgis was always the game breaker in the various timelines. We also didn’t see what happened to Mami after the Oriko battle. In general, as per “Word of God” (Gen Urobuchi), the following events are almost unbreakable if they occur:

Mami will have an emotional breakdown, resulting in her killing other magic girls or killing herself, if she discovers the truth about the Witch System. Mami is already emotionally unbalanced at the start of the story (she’s just really good at hiding it), and this last bit always pushes her over the edge. If Mami encounters Madoka and/or Miki before Homura does, Madoka and Miki will want to become magic girls at some point in that timeline.

Miki will become a witch after about a week, if she becomes a magic girl. Miki is a poor magic girl: she cannot handle the burden of “energy management” to prevent her soul gem from becoming polluted. The fact she’s unable to “bottle up” her emotions is a negative as well, since being highly emotional quickens the process of soul gem pollution (hence the reason gals like Mami, Homura, and Kyoko can avoid it for so long). Miki’s situation is to show that Kyubey intentionally picks girls he knows will become witches in a short period of time.

Madoka will become a magic girl if she witnesses the final battle against Walpurgis. Mostly because she can’t stay on the sidelines as she watches others die in vain and Kyubey is such a manipulative bastard. Because Madoka is so emotional, she is unable to handle the process of soul gem pollution, and thus always becomes a witch. In the first dozen or so timelines, Madoka dies or gets defeated in the final battle against Walpurgis. After about a dozen more timeline reboots, Homura inadvertently makes Madoka powerful enough to defeat Walpurgis, but she still becomes a witch sooner or later thereafter.

The core problem Homura has, is that she can’t defeat Walpurgis alone. She has a powerful magic ability with time control, but lacks offensive power since she doesn’t get a magic girl weapon. On the face value, Mami would be an excellent choice – she’s considered one of the most powerful magic girls in the setting – but cannot handle the truth and becomes a lose cannon. Miki is way too weak. That only leaves Kyoko, who is too difficult to recruit without somehow proving magic girls become witches… which usually requires Miki being a sacrificial lamb.

The Puella Magi PSP game offers a perfect end timeline, in which Walpurgis is defeated without Madoka becoming a Haxxor Magic Girl and the witch system remains in place after the battle… but it requires Mami being kept in the dark about the witch system and Homura caring about all the girls at once instead of just Madoka. Naturally, this was provided as a “fan service” for people who love the series… it’s not canon, since there’s too much happiness. :wink:

EDIT
On a totally random point, if Narg was in the Puella Magi universe and Kyubey granted me a wish, I’d want twincest. :stuck_out_tongue: Since Kyubey rigs the system, I’m sure I’d witness said twincest die in a witch attack and become so despaired I’d be a witch too: the Witch of Eroge. My barrier would be like an abandoned rotting warehouse with mountains and mountains of ero games everywhere, but none of them are twincest titles (since each witch has something she wants but can’t get). When magic girls come fight me, it be a tentacle familiars would face them. Hmmm… I’m sure there’s a doujin out there with this plot line… I just need to find it. :wink:

Maybe I should try once again the PSP game. Had started it once but got tired when I kept losing in that battle you have to jump with Homura (just after nom nom), and having to replay the whole dungeon wasn’t very cool.

I love the game for it’s stories, but I hate the play mechanics.

Total side note: Kazumi Magica has twincest magic girls. Yay!

And I’m guessing it ends badly for all the involved

Of course! It can’t be Puella Magi without suffering and misery.

I like Puella Magi Kazumi Magica, because it’s one of the few spin-offs that’s not centered on the main storyline getting rebooted by Homura. The plot takes place in a different city, and the main story characters only make cameo appearances - they aren’t the focus of anything.

Plus it shows, once again, that it’s REALLY HARD to fuck over Kyubey.

Juubei wasn’t it (he? she?) called?

???.

EDIT: I had a bit here about how ‘Juubei’ doesn’t fit what Kyubey’s name means but the JAST forums don’t seem to support ‘spoiler’ any more.

If you haven’t read Kazumi Magica yet, you might wanna not have us reveal the Juubey and Kyubey thing. :o

As far as gaiden go, it’s actually worth a read and has some neat plot twists.

Rule of thumb: Just say no to wishes. As cute and adorable as they look, they’re Eldritch Abominations if you think about it…

oh great, there’s more of them? >_>

But that’s a [u]GOOD[/u] thing. It means more innocent and helpless little girls, will get their fondest wish granted, no matter how silly or selfish it may be. Then they can return the favor by spreading hope and love by defeating evil witches and overcoming entropy! :twisted:

Some generic Chinese MMO that has nothing to do with Puella Magi, hired some professional cosplayer girls to dress like Puella Magi girls to advertise the game in Japan:

http://news.17173.com/content/2013-03-1 … _all.shtml

But the game still has nothing to do with Puella Magi, so it’s really just a red hearing campaign.

They got Mami’s boobs right, but they messed up her head. :wink:

So yea… third movie appears to be a continuation of the TV anime…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … nGESq_CiQY

I suppose they’re gonna try to fuck Kyubey over, and get rid of the magic girl system all together.

I’m root’in for Kyubey to win… cause that cute little bastard is a real bastard. 8)

Also, wouldn’t those demons of the last episode keep existing? Having some way of fighting them may be useful