Question about May Club from the Milky House Memorial Co

I have a question about the May Club game from the Milky Memorial Collection.
Is the May Club game from the collection the original version or the DX remake?

quote:
Originally posted by Gene:
I have a question about the May Club game from the Milky Memorial Collection.
Is the May Club game from the collection the original version or the DX remake?

As far i know, that's the Original version.
The DX remake is in japanese, has better graphics redrawed in High Color/16 Bits, has mosaiced HScenes with ALL the original HScenes (including that retired on the english version), and new winnable characters (what means news scenarios and news HScenes).

[This message has been edited by Peter Gilis (edited 03-19-2004).]

Many thanks for the fast reply.

This new version was only ever released in Japan?

quote:
Originally posted by SCDawg:
This new version was only ever released in Japan?

As far i know, yes.
Even why, Milkyhouse is not releasing any more new games, right?

No, Milky Way has been under for years now. They never did release that many games to begin with, and they haven’t released ANYthing new in ages and ages - in fact their website is totally gone now, if I’m remembering correctly.

A pity thanks though for the replies.

The remake of May Club was made by a different company than Milky Way, right? It seems that it was made by a company called haoh:

http://www.r18game.com/haoh/maydx/maydx.html

There were a number of companies that were around in the early days that shriveled up and died.

* Otaku publishing - they published Paradise Heights 1-2 and possibly some others. They still exist, but have no adult content as they were forced by the government (British government, I think) to shut it down. I don’t know any more details, so please don’t ask.

* Milky [House] - publisher of May Club and Nocturnal Illusions, and I think maybe a few other titles as well. I don’t know. Anyway, they released at least those two. I think they did True Love? [Edit: they are not a candy bar.]

* Himeya soft translated a few of their games into English; the Eve series and Gloria are the main ones that come to mind, they may have done others. They closed up shop after releasing Adam: Double Factor in English.

* I include them here because their prospects of acquiring new titles are not good. Jast USA no longer has a parent company, and it’s not looking good for new titles from them - unless their negotiations with Hobibox are fruitful. However, in the interest of fairness I will point out that Jast USA essentially became Peach Princess, in that they’re basically run by the same man - Peter Payne. Also Jast USA has a fairly large catalog, since they’ve been buying the rights to titles from defunct companies.

* Which brings me to Hobibox - they recently closed their doors in Europe after sticking it out for a few years. There are a few titles of theirs that they were working on, and that Pea Pri may be picking up.

* There were a few other failures. Megatech is one; they brought over a Dragon Knight game as Knights of Xentar, it bombed, really bad, they went under very quickly. Also some companies apparently brought over a handful of other really ancient titles, like Cobra Mission and Mad Paradox and perhaps a few more. I don’t even know the names of the companies involved.

[This message has been edited by Nandemonai (edited 03-20-2004).]

You mentioned some of the older games and them being flops. Isn’t how they bring them over? I mean as someone else mentioned in another thread, if they tried to sell, even the new update of Princess Maker 2 for the price say Heart de Roommate they probably would have a flop. However, if to get people to know their company and the type of games they have they bundle say four games together for the same price, they just might be successful and get the company name known and the type of games, in general, that company will be releasing.

LOL, Milky Way… I thought it was Milky House? Milky Way is a candy.

Jast USA is still going strong, and has a few titles in development. Peter Payne told us so recently in the thread “how many bishoujo game companies are left?”.

True Love as originally developed by Developer House Parsley. Otaku Publishing brought it over. Jast was the publisher in Japan, I think.

Yet ironically True Love, being the one JAST brought over, is one of the few that is not being made right? I actually would love to find a place that is legally selling that game. There aren’t any are there?

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 03-20-2004).]

quote:
Originally posted by Benoit:
LOL, Milky Way... I thought it was Milky House? Milky Way is a candy.

Quite right, quite right. So noted in my original post.

quote:
Originally posted by Benoit:
Jast USA is still going strong, and has a few titles in development. Peter Payne told us so recently in the thread "how many bishoujo game companies are left?".

True Love as originally developed by Developer House Parsley. Otaku Publishing brought it over. Jast was the publisher in Japan, I think.

In that case, True Love must predate Jast USA or else the rights would probably have gone there. Kind of like how Viz is the US arm of ... I think Kodansha or something (don't quote me), and they have all of Takahashi's shows - so everything Takahashi goes to Viz, by default. Except Urusei Yatsura, which AnimEigo had been doing when Viz came around and was able to keep hold of.

And I'll have to take a closer look at that thread. That looks interesting. I must have missed that.

quote:
Originally posted by SCDawg:
You mentioned some of the older games and them being flops. Isn't how they bring them over? I mean as someone else mentioned in another thread, if they tried to sell, even the new update of Princess Maker 2 for the price say Heart de Roommate they probably would have a flop. However, if to get people to know their company and the type of games they have they bundle say four games together for the same price, they just might be successful and get the company name known and the type of games, in general, that company will be releasing.

You are right, in that there is a market for this kind of "these are classics in a genre we've never seen before, here's a bundle" release. However; it isn't like you'd be repackaging a bunch of already-released products, which requires much less actual work in order to release them - you have to expend actual effort and localize them. This makes any such "we'll bundle a bunch of games together and sell the works for like $35" plan a loss leader; something you sell at a loss in the hopes it will give the market a boost.

Yes and no, you take a hit on these but you get your name known, you get the type of product you offer known, even if it is older if it is quality then and people love it, they might start to look for games from your company as people here seem to be eagerly waiting for the next Trabulance game.

See if you get it known when people see that the ABC Company is releasing a new game they might just be willing to try it because they know the quality of past games, instead of looking at the game and saying, well never heard of that company I mean before Private Nurse how many that play translation only copies had heard of AngelSmile? So instead of saying, well never heard of that company and that game looks okay but it is 50.00 dollars so let’s wait for the next Trabulance game since I know I like their games, or something like that which is probably the thought process of a lot on a budget.

Hey it is more then possible, name recongition often sells more then product quality after a while, for a short time at least. Personally I think it would benefit them to take the short-term loss in order to get their name known by more people and in turn stand a better chance for future profit, not to mention perhaps get some contacts over here for when these games do start to make the parent companies more money, and that day will come sooner or later.

So no go on True Love huh?

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 03-20-2004).]

That’s more or less what I meant; as of right now I think the English market as a whole is more or less a drop in the bucket comparatively speaking - we ARE the let’s-build-up-the-market releases. I think. To release something that would sell less than what is selling now would probably not be a great plan.

Of course, give it a few years. Then things might change.

I don’t know about that.

I’ve noticed that while manga and anime is really big in France, manga created 2 years previously is still considered “recent”, and only after that period of time gets ported. Kind of the same time span we have to wait before we get a bishoujo game released that came out in Japan.

So, I don’t know… :confused:

quote:
Originally posted by Nandemonai:
No, Milky Way has been under for years now. They never did release that many games to begin with, and they haven't released ANYthing new in ages and ages - in fact their website is totally gone now, if I'm remembering correctly.

I bookmarked Milky House ~ Bishoujo and Hentai Games For Less!!! about a year ago when it was still active. If you go there now you see the logo with the promise "coming soon..." and are redirected to the J-list home. I wonder if there is a plan to revive the MH web site and for what purpose?
quote:
Originally posted by Nandemonai:
(...) To release something that would sell less than what is selling now would probably not be a great plan.(...)

But what a better way to build up the market then to get your name known? For example when I say soda people most likely think a particular brand name rather then a carbonated beverage often colored with a type of syrup. What these companies ideally want and what would be best for them is if you say, and this is my opinion, but more artsy style with a quasi-French movie ending type of games, think at once of say AngelSmile, or games involving many girls often in a sort of 'harem' with 'harem' option think Trabulance.

If they release packages of the older games even at a loss it is possible to have such thinking go along which becomes priceless, granted it does sort of type-cast their role in the market, but it also gets them well known for types that people can traget rather people getting one from them which might be a bomb and not being willing to spend 50 bucks on another possible bomb.

Not sure if that came across as clear as I hope.

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 03-22-2004).]

Well…

True Love '95 was released under Otaku Production (last game), not JAST USA.