Question on MangaGamer.com

I think they’re just registered there and have the servers there. None of the actual people who do anything with the games seem to be there, not to mention they’re probably spread out since most of the game staff are freelance. Apparently for new projects, they’re looking for native Japanese people living in America for translators with native English speakers as editors. I don’t know why they don’t just hire native English speakers who know Japanese instead. Knowing the target language is much more important than the source language.

If I could hazard a guess, I’d say it’s probably because that’s what they tried before, and it didn’t work. Not that they necessarily did a good job of trying it before (we already know they didn’t get much good out of it), but one reason to adopt this new methodology would be if they were getting shoddy work. Particularly some of the complaints I recall you (or one of the other editors) posting was that a significant amount of the text was only a rough approximation of what the original Japanese said (omitting honorifics, stripping out emotional context and mechanically translating, etc).

Pure conjecture, but if true, it would make sense that they’d want to be sure they were actually getting qualified Japanese language translators AND qualified English language editors.

i might be trying to be a proof reader

‘Tasty shafts’ is now on the ‘new titles’ list.

In order of release ( currently ) we have:
Tasty Shafts - Dec 10
Shera, My Witch - Dec 20
Da Capo - Dec 25
Sandwiched by my wife and her sister - Jan 10
Suck my dick or die! - Feb 10
The Queen and Princess as your rewards - Mar 25
Kira Kira - License confirmed, Release Unknown
Edelweiss Eiden Fantasia - License confirmed, Release Unknown
Kira Kira Curtain Call - License confirmed, Release Unknown

So hopefully we’ll get 3 titles this month
If we’re lucky Cat Girl Alliance might also finish and be released

next week we will see if that happens or they are pushed again

I was just asked to edit this, so they probably haven’t even started the translation since they do the translation and editing concurrently. I won’t be the one doing this since the deadline they imposed was too strict for me to meet.

this is kira*kira
http://vndb.org/v414
right

People who are native speakers of both Japanese and English are probably too expensive for MG to afford. :lol: But still, they should hire people who are native English speakers since having coherent English is more important in a translation than the translator understanding the Japanese 100%. A native English speaker can always look up the Japanese to figure out the meaning. You can’t do the same when writing.

And MG does pay their editors… not very well, but they do. I have no idea about the testers though.