Quickie Review of Cresendo

Ok so I got the game Saturday WoooHooo I was only able to play for a little while last night and tonight but I’ll give you my impressions about this game anyways

Well if you want a brief story overview go to g-collections to read what they say, It’s pretty accurate But basically your gonna try and fall in love with 1 of the five girls in the game. But I do have to say right now the plot is definately more serious and not fluffly like tottemo or kango. The main character finds out something about himself rather early in the game that is a little tramatic. Anyway enough of the partial spoiler, Now let’s get on with the game impressions…

Graphics-Artwork is very nice. Since it’s a pretty new game(wasn’t it origionally released in 2002 in japan?) the CGs are clean and the colors are good. I really like the char designs of this game. The style reminds me of Fruits basket manga, with the sharp chins. Of all the DO games I have (which really isn’t that many since g-collections only released what 3 DO games) Cresendo has the nices looking women Their school uniforms are nice with women wearing a blazer instead of sailor fuku.

As for nookie CGs, I’ve only seen 1 CG at the very beginning. I think this game is alot like Kana where there aren’t many “Money Shots” But I think the payoff will be worth it.

Music- As for the music and sound So far most of the bgm is piano based music which sets the tone and atmosphere really well. All the characters except the main character is voiced. They seemed to have done a good job voicing this game with nothing sounding over the top, well at least not yet.

Gameplay- It’s your standard ADV where you read the story and during certain points in the game you make your selections. I do have to say though it’s pretty intresting how they incorporated flashbacks in this game. You get alot of flashbacks(at least up to where I’m at) and in these flashbacks you have choices you can choose which will affect what happens in your present. I.E. you talk to one of the girls you flashback to when you first met, you choose what action you took when you first met that changes what happens to the story now.

I can’t remember if Kana was like this or not but there is no text window in Cresendo, or rather the entire window is a text window. When people are talking or narration the window darkens and text overlays about 1/4 from the top of the window on down. Unfortunately this tends to coverup alot of the characters faces and you end up having to right click and select clear window or hit the esc key to get rid of the text to see the CG. A text window at the bottom of the screen would have been soo much better.

There is also a wierd quirk in the narration as it’s permanately in the 3rd person. It really took me a while to get used to “And Ryo doesn’t understand but pats her on the head” or “Ryo and Kaho meet in the library” and type narration. It would have been much cleaner if they used 1st person for actions that you do. Oh well, as long as I can understand what’s going on it’s all good

Even with these quirks, this might end up being one of my favorite games. The story so far is very strong. The plost is realistic, there is some tension and sadness even in the beginning, but it’s not tottaly depressing like Kana. The girls are cute and their personalities are not over the top. Looks like this one is a keeper for the romantic bishoujo gamer. I know I’m gonna be playing this for many nights

I seem to remember reading an article somewhere that Japanese people do tend to talk in the third person.

First of all:
Thanks for the promised first impressions. If I wouldn’t have been determined to buy Crescendo before, this would have finally convinced me.

quote:
Originally posted by DragonLord:
I seem to remember reading an article somewhere that Japanese people do tend to talk in the third person.

Only those putting up a cute-girl-act…
Actually, I doubt that even a real japanese child would talk in third person after entering elementary school.

Wow, thanks. This game looks like a must buy for me!

I wonder how long before PeaPri / JASTUSA / Jlist will sell it (and ship it to Europe)?

quote:
Originally posted by Unicorn:
Only those putting up a cute-girl-act... [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

Hey, ekylo wasn't acting... [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/tongue.gif[/img]

Heh, just kidding. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img] But remember, it can also be by eccentrics, like 'Icchan'. (Sorry, was watching Angelic Layer again last night...) Can't wait till my copy of the game arrives. Once again I'm reduced to just glaring at wanfu2k1-san in the interim.

quote:

I have noticed this too in some of the games, and I cannot remember which ones, but if you listen to the female voice actors they will say something like "Chiso thinks that she really likes you." While the translation text reads "I really like you." Mind you I am guessing at the other changes in translation, I am only now trying to learn Japanese, but if you listen you will hear that at times the girls speak their own character names where the translation uses the first person 'I' or 'me' and never places the name in the translation. So it supports what you are saying about speaking in the third person so far as the games are concerned at least.

I don't know, different cultures different ways of doing things are often harder to translate then words and letters.

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 10-27-2003).]

Actually the third person is used during narration only not when people are talking. Ryo himself doesn’t speak in the 3rd person. But all the narration is in the 3rd person. That’s what kinda throws you off when you first start reading the dialog.

quote:
Originally posted by SCDawg:
I have noticed this too in some of the games, and I cannot remember which ones, but if you listen to the female voice actors they will say something like "Chiso thinks that she really likes you." While the translation text reads "I really like you." Mind you I am guessing at the other changes in translation, I am only now trying to learn Japanese, but if you listen you will hear that at times the girls speak their own character names where the translation uses the first person 'I' or 'me' and never places the name in the translation. So it supports what you are saying about speaking in the third person so far as the games are concerned at least

Actually it alludes back to what Unicorn-san was saying, about the "cute-girl-act". In general, the lolicon characters will use that speach pattern because it's, er, "cutesy" or more associated with younger childrens speech patterns. (anime also tends to do it alot.) Risa from 3 Sisters and Kumi from TCI are examples of such. (Or at least I specifically remember them using this speech pattern.) Occassionally the more mature characters will also use it but again, that's usually when they are "playing young". Of course there are always exceptions but those are some general guidelines you can follow.

quote:
Originally posted by ayumi_xoxo:
yo Gs, I got my copy of Crescendo from http://www.peachsoft.com and they're giving out these dope cards! Maybe you guys might want to look them up if you're waiting too long...lates

I actually just got mine today from g-collections.com (they redid their site by the way) and it came with a Crescendo Bookmark, very cool.

quote:
Originally posted by ayumi_xoxo:
yo Gs, I got my copy of Crescendo from http://www.peachsoft.com and they're giving out these dope cards! Maybe you guys might want to look them up if you're waiting too long...lates

Yes, those cards look really cool ^_^

But it seems that PeachSoft's ordering system is a bit broken at the moment? Or rather, the server at www.host-manager.com/secure/peachsoftcom is giving 500 Internal Server Errors.

I just thought I'd see what PeachSoft's shipping charges to the UK would be... but it fell over before it could tell me [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/frown.gif[/img]

quote:
Originally posted by chronoluminaire:

I just thought I'd see what PeachSoft's shipping charges to the UK would be... but it fell over before it could tell me [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/frown.gif[/img][/B]

$18. Fair enough, Crescendo is only $40, but I refuse to pay that sort of money for shipping. It will be slightly cheaper to get it from JList who are my first choice in any case.

quote:
Originally posted by chronoluminaire:
Yes, those cards look really cool ^_^

I'm still trying to figure out what the cards are for. They aren't poker cards. And I thought maybe for an "old maid" type of game but I know some of the images were in sets of threes. (Sorry, I just briefly went through them...) I mean, the main thing they did is just get me further intrigued by some of the other Trabulance titles. (Which, may have been the purpose in the first place...)

quote:
Originally posted by SCDawg:
I actually just got mine today from g-collections.com (they redid their site by the way) and it came with a Crescendo Bookmark, very cool.

Dammit how come you gotta bookmark. I didn't get one damn you g-collections, damn you to hell. I need more bookmarks [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/tongue.gif[/img] Reading a buncha diffrent manga at once takes it's toll on bookmarks [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

quote:
Originally posted by ekylo:
I'm still trying to figure out what the cards are for. They aren't poker cards. And I thought maybe for an "old maid" type of game but I know some of the images were in sets of threes.

The cards are related to "Tsukushite-jan" which is a Pong-jan. In this kind of game, you usually try to collect three triplets of identical cards.
It's a very simplified form of Mahjonng (=no special hands, only pongs and only three combinations necessary to win). I once ordered by mistake a "Cardcaptor Sakura-jan" that has the same rules.
Of cource, I mistook it for a mahjonng when I ordered it because of the "-jan" both kinds of game have in common.

In a nutshell: The cardgame itself is boring, but the images on the cards should do a good job in distracting from this... [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by Unicorn (edited 10-29-2003).]

I played throught Kaori’s senario yesterday, I liked the “movie” they saw together.

quote:
Originally posted by Unicorn:
The cards are related to "Tsukushite-jan" which is a Pong-jan. In this kind of game, you usually try to collect three triplets of identical cards.
It's a very simplified form of Mahjonng (=no special hands, only pongs and only three combinations necessary to win).

In a nutshell: The cardgame itself is boring, but the images on the cards should do a good job in distracting from this... [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

Domo, Unicorn-san. Yes, the cards are quite distracting. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img] Now if I could find some cute little thing to play the game with... (yeah right, I'll have as much luck of that as I am trying to convince one to play the Xxxenophile CCG with me...)

The bookmarks are nice, but I have at least a half-dozen of them. I don't read that much...

quote:
I played throught Kaori's senario yesterday, I liked the "movie" they saw together.

*Spoiler (kinda)*

I was wondering when someone was gonna comment on this. I thought that was funny too, also its interesting to see which ending D.O. must have considered the "true" ending to the game since they used it in the movie.

Ive finished 2 of the stories so far… one felt like a normal love type situation (girl falls in love with boy… and they give it a chance…) and the other was much more complex story even to the point where you stop and think… “wow”.

Crescendo is 100% story driven… and easily up there with kana by means of story type games (in english that is)

I think I only got 2 of the “normal” girls endings so far, I shouldn’t have tried for all the girls my first time out. So does anyone know how many endings there are in the game?

And I agree story wise this game ranks up there with Kana. Very nice story telling, but with not near as much angst. This might end up being the best bishoujo game to come out this year. Course we still have BS.

Having Finished the game today there are 10 endings:

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E

1 and 2: Good endings for Kaho (You won’t get a scene or two with her depending on which choices you make but it’s essentially the same ending)

3: Good ending for Kyoko (1 and 2 count as a bad ending for Kyoko because she’s not in the picture that gets taken in the end)

4 and 5: Good endings Ayame (sister) and Ayame (lover)

6 and 7: Good and bad endings for Kaori (one things to watch out for on her path, the movie she and Ryo see) IMHO, her good ending is probably the best ending I’ve ever seen in a bishojo game, It shows how all the girls (except Yuka) truly love him and wish for his happiness.

8 and 9: good and bad endings for Yuka

10: Miyu ending

------------------
“His last thought is wry, Not bad for a dead man.” Moon Knight vol.1, #1 (1980)