Quickie review of Jewel Knights

Ok after watching that awesome Laker game and celebrating I was able to check out a little bit of Jewel Knights. I only was able to play for a half hour or so before my celebrating caught up to me So without further adeu here’s my quickie on Jewel Knights…

You Ginji a guy who loves to street fight. In fact you haven’t ever lost in a street fight, and your itching to get into one. Hearing some rumbing in the alley and thinking it’s a fight you enthusiastically enter the alley to find…

Well that’s a good enough intro to the beginning of the game. This games looks like a Sailor Moon, Cyber team in akiharbara, Magic Knights Rayearth, ect episode. In fact this game is structured like an Anime, just like Heart de Roomate. In fact there’s even the eyecatches and next ep previes just like Roomate.

The music is ok. Nothing really memorable. and in fact part of the track started to annoy me as it kept cycling over and over again. Of course my hating the music could be due to my over exuberence in celebrating a incredible Laker victory So I’ll just leave my music opinion at that.

The graphics and character desgins are very nice. I was really dreading the character designs for this game based on the the screen shot g-coll has in their front page. Actually they look a lot better than the screen shots g-coll have posted up. Those screen shots don’t do the character designs justice. Since it’s the first game published by zerocool here the designs look really fresh. We all pretty much have an idea of how the girls in Zyx games will look, same with the pastel colors and more artsy designs of Angel Smile games, so it’s nice to see zerocools design quirks. There hasn’t been any animated scenes so far but like I said I only played for a little while so maybe there will be some later on who knows…

As for the gameplay, No this is not a RPG it’s your typical ADV. The story unfolds and you have choices on what you want to do much like most of G-colls games. There’s not hint system so no cheating for you Also there doesn’t seem to be a skip already seen text option either which will suck for me since I use this feature extensively when I replay the games. Like I said before it seems the game is broken down into episodes like Roomate with a litle preview of what to expect the next episode. I was only able to play 1 episode so far. The extra section looks like you all the pictures are sorted by episodes and you click on the next episode to see the next set of pictures.

Since I only played it for about 30 mins and was only able to finish 1 episode I can’t really comment much about how fun it is. But I will say is that the language has gotten alot fouler than in their previous releases. Frequent use of the F*** and it’s derivatives were in the dialog. Maybe it’s due to Ginji being basically a street thug, or G-coll trying to spice up the dialog I don’t know but it was kinda jarring. I guess I’m just used to the little amount of foul language in previous bishoujo games. Also 1 more warning for those of you who don’t like rape or forced action. The first and so far only H scene I’ve seen is borderline rape be warned.

Well, the little I played of the game I enjoyed. The Maho Shoujo elements of the story is interesting and I’m interested to see just were our rough hero will be in the story.

begins the ritual gut-hating

Hmm, I wonder if I can get the lemons or strawberries involved in the ritual…

Hey, there is a message skip option in this game, at least according to the G-Collections Website.

"Auto Forwarding Mode is Loaded!
If you select the “Auto Forwarding Mode” from the pop-up menu, story messages will automatically flow by. This is a great way to sit back and enjoy the game!
When choices arise, the automatic flow is temporarily stopped and waits for you to select a choice.

*You’ll be able to set up the details for the “Auto Forwarding Mode” in Properties. "

quote:
Originally posted by ryan724:
Hey, there is a message skip option in this game, at least according to the G-Collections Website.

"Auto Forwarding Mode is Loaded!
If you select the "Auto Forwarding Mode" from the pop-up menu, story messages will automatically flow by. This is a great way to sit back and enjoy the game!
When choices arise, the automatic flow is temporarily stopped and waits for you to select a choice.

*You'll be able to set up the details for the "Auto Forwarding Mode" in Properties. "

You must be new to the bishoujo game world. That's how it is in mostly all bishoujo games. In any case, welcome.

------------------
精神 の 神

[This message has been edited by Seishin (edited 05-14-2004).]

err, i think what gc meant is that the dialogue will automatically go foward after a short delay when the voice is done and u dont need to click on (or touch for that matter) your mouse at all…like an auto-run thing, not a message skip function

[This message has been edited by Lamuness (edited 05-14-2004).]

quote:
Originally posted by wanfu2k1:
But I will say is that the language has gotten alot fouler than in their previous releases. Frequent use of the F*** and it's derivatives were in the dialog. Maybe it's due to Ginji being basically a street thug, or G-coll trying to spice up the dialog I don't know but it was kinda jarring.

Yup, that's G-collections putting in there extra spice. There is no real "F***" in Japanese. There's no way to translate anything as that unless it's a really loose/incorrect translation. They probably thought that "English speakers" would like that so they decided on that instead of a better word. The "worst" word that someone in Japanese would translate in English as "pussy." That's "omanko." It's worse than the male counterpart, "ochinchin." Anyone who has played Bunnies 2 knows that those words were beeped out. (but you could still hear it because it was a short beep.) G-collections' translations need to be taken with a grain of salt, but at least you can get the main idea of what's going on. If you can't read Japanese then you'll just be playing for the H scenes, as if you don't anyway. (kidding) But they do take the mosaics out and about half of the price of the Japanese games so you need to take the good with the bad. I still buy their games.

wanfu2k1, I went on further in the game and I can tell you that the “borderline” rape occures for the next 2 sex scenes also.

I stopped after the third one since it made my head hurt, and I kept having the urge everytime I see Hisui Ohara to hum Oingo Boingo’s “Little Girls”.

hums away

I love little girls they make me feel so good
I love little girls they make me feel so bad
When they’re around they make me feel
Like I’m the only guy in town

[This message has been edited by Vaga42Bond (edited 05-15-2004).]

Ok I spent a little more time on this game. I have to say if it wasn’t for the maho shoujo premise and goofy plot I’d swear this was a dark game. Pratically all the H-scenes are forced or semi-forced. So here’s the warning for you people that don’t like forced action you might want to stay away from this game.

One more thing about the gameplay so far I’ve gone through 3 episodes and in each episode there’s no decisions it’s almost like watching an anime. Finally in the beginning of the 4th episode you get to choose a girl before the episode starts. Not sure if this will continue or not but just to let you guys know.

Hmm…this post is making it seem like the game isn’t that good. Well it’s still pretty interesting we’ll see if it holds my interest the more I play.

To Ryan724:
Yeah there is an auto forward mode in the game. Where you can set the speed of the automatic mouse clicks. What I was talking about in my post though was something slightly different that some G-Coll games has. In some G-Coll games there’s an option where you can skip through all the text that you have already read in previous playthroughs of the game. It will automatically stop when it hits a portion that you have not read yet and you play again like normal until you hit a section that you already read. It makes replaying the game much faster as it zooms through the text much faster than automode and it automatically stops when you hit something new.

I got the game and I played at least 4-5 hours in th game and still long way to finish the game. Anyway, Hands free mode is lot helpful. but, once I skip the games maybe you can shrink by 1/2 of the game. Will so far I went to Episode 7 or 8 I don’t remember but anyway, this game is fun for me. Once you have sex with girl in the game they always love with you lol I might finish tommorow. Will for the installation problem I din’t get any problem. Work fine œ¿»ÅÙÅS(fl-^*)Åfl(((((((*fl-)… |EXIT

quote:
Originally posted by Vaga42Bond:
wanfu2k1, I went on further in the game and I can tell you that the "borderline" rape occures for the next 2 sex scenes also.

I stopped after the third one since it made my head hurt, and I kept having the urge everytime I see Hisui Ohara to hum Oingo Boingo's "Little Girls".

*hums away*

I love little girls they make me feel so bad
When they're around they make me feel
Like I'm the only guy in town

[This message has been edited by Vaga42Bond (edited 05-15-2004).]

"Uh-Oh I'm in trouble,
Uh-Oh It's a mistake,
Uh-Oh I'm in Trouble..
That little girl was just too little, too little, too little, too little, TOO LITTLE

Isn't this fun?
Isn't this what lifes all about?
Isn't this a dream come true?
Isn't this a nightmare toooooooooooo"

So this game is just c***, as i expected… Ah, well, have patience. Waiting for Slave Pageant and Gibo…

quote:
Originally posted by Italicus:
[img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/frown.gif[/img] So this game is just c***, as i expected... Ah, well, have patience. Waiting for Slave Pageant and Gibo.... [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

G-collections' website no longer says that they are releasing Slave Pageant. Maybe it was canned. Probably not but I wonder why it's not in their upcomming titles list anymore. It only says Jewel Knights and that's already out.
I don't think that I'll get Jewel Knights either. But if you don't like the character designs in Jewel Knights, why would you want Gibo? It looks like another huge breast fettish, but at least it matches the older looking face, unlike Jewel Knights. I'm waiting for Little My Maid more than anything. It's not a huge breast fettish game, and it's not a lolicon game. It's just how I like it. And what's with that G-collections money thing. You need to buy several games just to get one keychain? Heck, Peach Princess gives you three keychains just for buying LMM. Wasn't someone supposed to get a demo version on his or her website? I have to check out the animated mouths! I've only seen this in Tokimeki Memorial 3, Overflow, and I heard that it exists in Imouto de Ikou. But it's a first in the English world. I'm curious.

neither rowena or ladyphoenix has contacted me about hosting the lmm demo so i am not doing anything about it (i dont force people to do stuff)…but you can get the demo from gibo though

They probably are in the middle of updating their website. There’s a history of rather odd updates there they back up on public information before talking about future stuff.

They don’t care if I’m a one way mirror
They’re not frightened by my cold exterior

They don’t ask me questions
They don’t want to scold me
They don’t look for answers
They just want to hold me
Isn’t this fun
Isn’t this what life’s all about
Isn’t this a dream come true
Isn’t this a nightmare too

quote:
Originally posted by bishounen_blue:
G-collections' website no longer says that they are releasing Slave Pageant. Maybe it was canned. Probably not but I wonder why it's not in their upcomming titles list anymore. It only says Jewel Knights and that's already out.
I don't think that I'll get Jewel Knights either. But if you don't like the character designs in Jewel Knights, why would you want Gibo? It looks like another huge breast fettish, but at least it matches the older looking face, unlike Jewel Knights. I'm waiting for Little My Maid more than anything. It's not a huge breast fettish game, and it's not a lolicon game. It's just how I like it. And what's with that G-collections money thing. You need to buy several games just to get one keychain? Heck, Peach Princess gives you three keychains just for buying LMM. Wasn't someone supposed to get a demo version on his or her website? I have to check out the animated mouths! I've only seen this in Tokimeki Memorial 3, Overflow, and I heard that it exists in Imouto de Ikou. But it's a first in the English world. I'm curious.

Why? just because i dislike fantasy stuff, that's all. I love kichiku, and my girlfriend too likes it. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

Just finished Meno’s ending. I like the game so far with it’s anime episode feel to it.

I think Zerocool accomplished what they set out to do in the game. (Magical Girl Parody / Homage) and I think they succeeded.
While not my favorite game it still on the upper list of titles for me.

I tend to agree with a lot of what others have said, shocks with the language and some dark scenes aside it seems like it is a game with promise, not to top many favorite lists I think, (but then again what can upset a game like Kana or Crescendo from the top of lists) and the g-collections money seems strange, has anyone cashed in their g-money yet?

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 05-15-2004).]

Well yeah, I am new… but i’m uh… willing to learn! As somebody who is used to more hostile message boards, this is a nice change of pace.

quote:
Originally posted by ryan724:
Well yeah, I am new.. but i'm uh.. willing to learn! As somebody who is used to more hostile message boards, this is a nice change of pace.

Haha. Well, we argue over things sometimes but everyone who posts on this BBS is pretty much on the same side, so it shouldn't get to hostile.

Just finished the game, and I have to say I really liked it.

My favorite ending was Asao’s, true ending was probably Hisui’s. The harem ending was just totally *&%#ed up. Meno’s and Ruri’s endings are good too.

Due to Hisui’s youthful appearance I didn’t particularly care for her ending but it was still decent though.

[This message has been edited by Doug (edited 05-16-2004).]