Refresh my memory, Lamuness...

And now, for totally irrelevant bad news.

Black Isle Studios was disintegrated today, when the entire staff was laid off. They were working on a new project believed to have been Fallout 3. Now that game has been “shelved indefinitely” (read: cancelled).

Personally I find Planescape: Torment to be one of the best games I have ever played. It is truly awesome. I know that people from a team that made a game released in '98 will already have started to leave. But this is still a sad day for PC RPG’s.

quote:
Originally posted by Nandemonai:
Black Isle Studios was disintegrated today, when the entire staff was laid off. They were working on a new project believed to have been Fallout 3. Now that game has been "shelved indefinitely" (read: cancelled).

Okay, that's a downer. I actually did enjoy the Black Isle games. *sigh* Wouldn't be the first time that's happened though...

quote:
Originally posted by ekylo:
Okay, that's a downer. I actually did enjoy the Black Isle games. *sigh* Wouldn't be the first time that's happened though...

This has been coming for a long time. Black Isle always did kick serious ass, but their games were few and far between. And they were huge, stupdendous efforts. While their games were correspodingly colossal successes, they were an asset. Unfortunately their last few games...haven't been. Black Isle has had very little to do with Knights of the Old Republic or Dark Alliance (both quite successful). Their notable projects of late basically number only one - Neverwinter Nights - and that was published by Atari.

Torn was cancelled after a very long period of development. Torn was their attempt to move away from D&D - based properties and get into an original world - and it was cancelled. Much of the work was probably used to make Lionheart. Which, unfortunately, was lackluster despite being delayed for several months specifically so they could fine-tune the game.

Being a loss-leader is a good way to die.

sings

Ding Dong the Witch is Dead the Witch is Dead the Witch is Dead!

They just wrote the Magical Princess transformation sequence out of Cha Cha! Wai! Wai!

quote:
They just wrote the Magical Princess transformation sequence out of Cha Cha! Wai! Wai!

*blink* Okay, you lost me on this one. What's "Cha Cha"?

quote:
*blink* Okay, you lost me on this one. What's "Cha Cha"?

One of the best anime that (unfortunately) nobody has ever heard of. It's a hysterical show, rivalling (and for the most part exceeding) Excel Saga. For some reason unknown to me, the show is only available fansubbed. It concerns the (mis)adventures of Cha Cha and her friends Riiya and Shiine-chan. They're all insane 8 year olds on crack. With magical powers. They all go to a magic school (that gets destroyed every few episodes) and it's quite amusing.

The bad thing is when they made the TV show, they added a completely made up magical girl "plotline" complete with magical girl transformation sequence. Eventually this made up "plot" - which was totally serious and not at all funny - took over the show; until around episode 56 or so they finally write it out of the program.

I know that one It’s called Akazukin Cha Cha !! :lol:

Rivalling and for the most part exceeding Excel Saga? I’m afraid, I’m very afraid. I’m still in therapy after watch Excel Saga… (Poor Menchi…)

quote:
Rivalling and for the most part exceeding Excel Saga? I'm afraid, I'm very afraid. I'm still in therapy after watch Excel Saga... (Poor Menchi...)

This one's cute. AND it manages to exceed Excel Saga. Excel Saga is, when funny, probably better than Cha Cha (except for the very best bits of Cha Cha) - it's just that Cha Cha is more consistent. Excel Saga is totally hit or miss; there are entire groups of episodes that are just ... boring. They try really hard, but you get the feeling they only sort of "get it". Cha Cha is more reliably hysterical.

I don’t visit the board for a few weeks, which is bad enough, then I learn about Black Isle. It reminds me of Looking Glass Studios. They were doing excellent work too. I guess the United States is becoming a slave to being cheap. My own work experiences have proven quanity is more important than quality, especially when it comes cheaper. Here’s the kicker, the word quality has been cheapen. I always believed quality meant excellence, the highest standards, or long lasting for describing the object. Today, if something lasts past the first use it has quality. I’m sorry, its a combination of a bad day and depressing news about Black Isle Studios.

My epitaph for Black Isle Studios:Our memories of the Forgotten Realms Games, Fallout Games, and Planescape:Torment will survive. We will be your Criers.

The Cha Cha’s, Can I get them or do I suffer another attack of anime blues? Hmm…Hey!!! Santa.

Sigh I remember Looking Glass as well, that was another company I was sad to see go. And great, now I have that “Hey Santa!” song stuck in my head…

quote:
Originally posted by Gulyen:
The Cha Cha's, Can I get them or do I suffer another attack of anime blues? Hmm...Hey!!! Santa.

Nope. Santa Claus can't really help you out here; fansubs are of course all illegal, and Santa Claus doesn't really do that. The show is available fansub only - and I'm not going to tell you where to get them. On this board.

Well, you know how I just won’t let this topic die…

My best friend is back for Winter break and he immediately started complaining that the t-shirt I gave him doesn’t work. It was the “Looking for a Japanese Girlfriend” shirt. I probably told him it meant “I want to be Japanese” or something, because I knew he recognized the “Nihonjin” part (you would think after all these years he’d learn to not trust me about such things). And with the international students at his school, all the Japanese, most of the Chinese and some of the Korean girls would all giggle when he wore the shirt. It was a couple of months before anyone translated the shirt for him. I’m trying to convince him to wear it down Waikiki or Ala Moana now…

quote:
My best friend is back for Winter break and he immediately started complaining that the t-shirt I gave him doesn't work. It was the "Looking for a Japanese Girlfriend" shirt. I probably told him it meant "I want to be Japanese" or something, because I knew he recognized the "Nihonjin" part (you would think after all these years he'd learn to not trust me about such things). And with the international students at his school, all the Japanese, most of the Chinese and some of the Korean girls would all giggle when he wore the shirt. It was a couple of months before anyone translated the shirt for him. I'm trying to convince him to wear it down Waikiki or Ala Moana now... [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

*hahahahaha*

That's funny.

Of course, when I go to Japan I will need to get someone to make me a T-shirt that says "Beware of weirdo." Some kind of government regulation that applies, oddly enough, only to Dennis Rodman and myself.

quote:
Of course, when I go to Japan I will need to get someone to make me a T-shirt that says "Beware of weirdo." Some kind of government regulation that applies, oddly enough, only to Dennis Rodman and myself.

Now I'm trying to think what the phrase would be in Japanese. Most of the ones I'm thinking of would translate as "beware of pervert" or "beware of idiot". (I think I'm required to were the later of those two myself...)

quote:
Now I'm trying to think what the phrase would be in Japanese. Most of the ones I'm thinking of would translate as "beware of pervert" or "beware of idiot". (I think I'm required to were the later of those two myself...)

I don't really mean either "pervert" or "idiot". I mean "strange person".

I dunno, there must be SOME way to say "odd insane man" in Japanese...

quote:
I don't really mean either "pervert" or "idiot". I mean "strange person".

I dunno, there must be SOME way to say "odd insane man" in Japanese...

Only if they pee on the lawn. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]

quote:
Originally posted by woodelf:
Only if they pee on the lawn. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]

Actually, it's not like they necessarily have to be insane for that...

And I knew what you meant Nandemonai-san, but my brain was working off two hours of sleep so it wasn't exactly translating too well. Hmm, "hen" is the only word for "strange" I can really think of.

quote:
Hmm, "hen" is the only word for "strange" I can really think of.

That's what I would suggest, too.
I think that the J-List T-shirt Hen na gaijin might be what he is looking for.

[This message has been edited by Unicorn (edited 12-29-2003).]

quote:
Originally posted by Unicorn:
That's what I would suggest, too.
I think that the J-List T-shirt Hen na gaijin might be what he is looking for.

Would be the closest thing I can think of. Unless he really does want to get a shirt specially made...