Replayability

I keep reading players telling they’re looking for a bishoujo game with a lot of replayability, so I was wondering…
How many of you think that ‘replayability’ is what makes a game ‘good’ or ‘enjoyable’? I mean, how ‘replayable’ is a movie? Or a book? And if your answer is “Yes, but it’s a game!” then may I remind you a game is “an activity providing entertainment or amusement; a pastime” (dictionary.com and Wordsmyth)? No mention of a need of “replayability” in a game. How much for instance is a console/PC RPG game replayable?

My opinion, as you may have guessed, is that replayability is not and shouldn’t be a factor. Overall length may (spending $80.00 on a half-hour game is a bit too much for instance), but not replayability. If it takes you 20hrs to complete a game once, would you want it to have 10 paths (total = 200hrs)?

[This message has been edited by olf_le_fol (edited 11-21-2002).]

To me replayability is not a big factor. It just tells me how soon I will play the game once I finish it. The more replayability teh sooner I will play it again. If there is none I might not play it for awhile depending apon other factors such as story and fun factor.

Replayability depends on the kind of game, but is not necessarily a must-have.

For example, any shoot-em-up has a big replay-value, but I would rather insult Viper Limited that is a shooter.

On the other hand, I usually praise “Eve Burst Error” even though I don’t think, I’d ever play it again. I think, the one time I played it, was already worth the money I spend on it.

replayability is a pretty important factor for me, but then again, i put replayability into any game i like…i think it is neat to have lots of choices and lots of freedom and lots of outcomes…it makes the whole experience seem more interactive…the more endings a game has, the more likely i am to buy it…although i admit that story is first and foremost…to illustrate this point, consider that i have bought Chain, but not Kango Shicyauzo

i will buy a game that looks interesting to me whether or not it has multiple endings or lots of replayability, but ones with promises of lots of replayability and/or endings will always get a second look first

as for me putting replayability into any game i like, i mean that i will play a game i really like over and over regardless of whether or not it is a linear, one story-path game…I’ve played Eve twice, Final Fantasy 8, 9, and 10 at least four times each, the Lunar series two or three times each…and every book i have in my house has been read at least four times

quote:
Originally posted by ladyphoenix:
as for me putting replayability into any game i like, i mean that i will play a game i really like over and over regardless of whether or not it is a linear, one story-path game....I've played Eve twice, Final Fantasy 8, 9, and 10 at least four times each, the Lunar series two or three times each....and every book i have in my house has been read at least four times [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img]
ladyphoenix-sama, you exactly tackled the matter I want to address: that you will replay and enjoy a game if is good, even if the replayability is zero. That's why I was talking about books and movies; both have a replayability of zero (since every rereading/rewatching will be exactly the same) but you will reread and rewatch with pleasure best books and movies.
quote:
Originally posted by woodelf:
But OLF_the_Drake keeps all his games locked up.
I think time is important in games as well. Some games you want short,some long.

Well, it's true I presently prefer my games good and short... so that I can finish then quick and play another! (^^;;;;
Alas, I have the habit to try every combination possible (and in RPGs find every quests/objects possible and end at max level)... [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/tongue.gif[/img]
quote:
Originally posted by olf_le_fol:
Alas, I have the habit to try every combination possible (and in RPGs find every quests/objects possible and end at max level)... [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/tongue.gif[/img]

So, what about "Ruby Weapon" and "Saphire Weapon" in FF7? They are in my top ten of most annoying opponents, I ever met in RPGs and finally gave up on them. Did you actually beat them?

Hmm, odd, I was just answering a question on replayability concern “Critical Point” on GameFAQs. But I agree, if something is good, you’ll go through it again and again despite it being the “same thing” each time. (And I have dozens of falling apart books to prove it! ) I just can’t get over how some people I’ve talked to have complained about the “replayability” of bishoujo games yet don’t have the same complaint about other mainstream games. (“The Longest Journey” comes to mind.)

I tend to reread books and watch movies over quite frequently. I always notice things I missed the first time when I go through them again.

Olf, I am exactly the same. I cannot stand to think that I miss something, I go try to get EVERYTHING and beat EVERYTHING in any rpg. Since Unicorn brought up FF7 I will use that as a example, I actually took the time to master every mini arcade game in the Golden Saucer, including the mini-basketball game which I found out if you can shoot like 40 baskets in a row (equivalent to 300 points), the machine gives up… This is harder than is sounds, at least it was for me ;P.

Unicorn, I have beaten Ruby and Emerald from FF7 (assuming you meant Emerald and not Sapphire). Basically all it takes is a Master Final Attack/Pheonix combo and Knights of the Round/Mimic combo. At least for Ruby, Emerald there are alot of options.

I just figured that since a typical game on average costs more than a typical book or movie, “replayability” becomes a larger issue for most people.

I will agree that good is good and that people will view/play something good again just on the merits of the work.

Personally, I think replayability in the right way is with multiple story paths and ending. A few detailed paths (like Kana) are good enough for me. A bad example of multi-path completion is Star Ocean 2, which had a lot of “endings” (packaging brags over 200 or something) but they were essentially the same and quite shallow.

well I do think that the game does need to have some replayability… (heres an example, Counter strike) and its because its multi player and well everyone has their own skills.

In the bi-shoujo world we are somewhat limited to whats available now type thing, Like i ordered private nurse because its out before X-mas, and i wanted a title to fit that catagory. I mean so far the games picked by both peapri and g-collections (only 2 examples) have been extremely replayable…

quote:
Originally posted by Smithy:
I just figured that since a typical game on average costs more than a typical book or movie, "replayability" becomes a larger issue for most people.
But how long is a movie compared to the length of most bishoujo games? What is the average cost per hour?
quote:
Originally posted by Gambit:
well I do think that the game does need to have some replayability...
Then the obligatory question is... why?

quote:
Originally posted by Bigdog:
I
Unicorn, I have beaten Ruby and Emerald from FF7 (assuming you meant Emerald and not Sapphire). Basically all it takes is a Master Final Attack/Pheonix combo and Knights of the Round/Mimic combo. At least for Ruby, Emerald there are alot of options.

I beat Emerald by using the Mimic / Bahamut Zero combo. I hadn't made the Summon Master Materia yet.

Getting back on the Subject, I don't mind if there's no replayability if the game is good. Chain, Desire, and Eve burst error to name three.

[This message has been edited by Doug (edited 11-21-2002).]

I like my entertainment to have replayablity. The movie “The Matrix” has replayability for me. The Lord of the Rings books have replayability for me. For me to purchase a game, movie, or book, I would like it to be something i will want to invest more than just a single sitting to. Some games have the luxury of building in replayability, ie TCI, Critical Point, Kana, and Kango, but i have played Chain twice. I will likely play it a few more times as time goes by. If i never wanted to play it more than once, I probably wouldn’t have bought it. So, is replayability important to me? Yes, it is.

double post

[This message has been edited by ksarchet (edited 11-21-2002).]

i lie to myself about how i like to get every little thing there is in these games like Final Fantasy and such…i tell myself i like to get everything, but i never do…

i still haven’t beaten the ruby and underwater weapons in ff7, i still haven’t gotten all the ultimate weapons and their upgrades in FF10, and just to throw in some bishoujo for topic purposes, i still am missing two or three endings in critical point…but i DO play these games (talking mostly about final fantasies again) once for story, then the second time for STUFF…then again and again for story i can see this happening with Brave Soul for me

I think this is less an issue of “replayability” and maybe more a matter of “time vs. money”. Alot of times I think people mean the ability to go through a game again and do something different (I guess a multi-path game is an example of this).

Whether a game is replayable or not is not the main issue I think, but how much time someone will spend with a game. People have mentioned that if a game looks interesting, they’ll buy it no matter what. And that’s how it should be, but most people probably won’t think like that when first getting into Bishoujo games. Since they’re not used to the type of game, it’s short length may make them wary of the game (since from what I’ve gathered people tend to view bishoujo games as short and easy, even if they have no direct experience with them). If they play it and enjoy it, I’m sure they won’t mind about length or replayability anymore. Since, sadly, bishoujo games are not easily available, most people don’t have much experience with them and judge them on standards of existing games (Like “The Longest Journey” example… unless you know exactly what you’re doing, that game does take a pretty long time to play through… but most adventure games don’t, and that’s one of the reasons the whole genre disappeared awhile ago, “The Longest Journey” was some kind of accident or something).

Judging cost per hour of a movie vs. game is difficult. Movie is a set amount of time. Game depends on how fast you read, click, etc. I think that most people will judge a bishoujo game based on other game standards, and many are worried that there isn’t enough gameplay to justify the cost. And I guess they shouldn’t, becuase most are completely different from games that they’re used to playing. But like I said, the unknown makes people wary (I’m guilty of this too).

Wow, this post is pretty incoherent… maybe I’ll be back later and try to fix it up a bit.

[This message has been edited by Faust (edited 11-21-2002).]

quote:
Originally posted by ksarchet:
I like my entertainment to have replayablity. The movie "The Matrix" has replayability for me. The Lord of the Rings books have replayability for me. For me to purchase a game, movie, or book, I would like it to be something i will want to invest more than just a single sitting to. Some games have the luxury of building in replayability, ie TCI, Critical Point, Kana, and Kango, but i have played Chain twice. I will likely play it a few more times as time goes by. If i never wanted to play it more than once, I probably wouldn't have bought it. So, is replayability important to me? Yes, it is.
ksarchet, "replayability" is used when you can replay/rewatch/reread and get a different game/watching/reading. A book or a movie isn't "replayable". A linear game isn't "replayable". I think you missed the point of my initial question... [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img]
quote:
Originally posted by olf_le_fol:
ksarchet, "replayability" is used when you can replay/rewatch/reread and get a different game/watching/reading. A book or a movie isn't "replayable". A linear game isn't "replayable". I think you missed the point of my initial question... [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

then i guess replayability isn't very important. just my desire to replay it. :P

quote:
Originally posted by woodelf:
The point is even multi-path games like TCI are still linear.You can pick different endings but the path to each ending is allways the same. Very few games are non-linear as most RPG's still follow as set plot. The only game I remember was a text adventure for the TRS-80 color computer that said it had 3 solutions for each puzzle in the game.
First, the point is "replayability", not "linearity". Second, if we consider your definition, all games (or 99.99% of them) are linear, thus wondering about their linearity would be a moot point. Third, I could name you quite a handful of multi-path bishoujo ADV games where everytime you play you don't get the exact same game, even if you choose the exact same choices, because of (semi-)random events. What you're doing is just like nitpicking about the randomness of events in a game, because no computer can generate truly random numbers. Or telling a pen&paper RPG is linear because if everytime it is played every player and the GM react exactly the same, the outcome would be exactly the same...
The non-linearity of such games if because everytime you (re)play the game, you have the freedom of making different choices. Thus the story graph from the starting point to the ending point is a tree, not a line; therefore the game is not linear.