Replayability

quote:
Originally posted by olf_le_fol:
Perhaps you then just don't read enough game reviews, but "replayability", as far as the game world is concerned, has a definition... which is just the one I wrote. You can review "Chain" and write "Replayability: a lot" and explain it's because the game is so good people would want to replay it again and again, even if it's everytime exactly the same thing and story, but, IMO most of your readers would comment it's not what people mean by "replayability"... So, yes, the argument is moot because you're using your definition of the word, when I was using the generally used definition of the word, applied to PC games.

I don't pretend to know what the general populace thinks. There are way to many different people and different opinions to label something like this as the general definition of replayability. I DO write reviews and HAVE read many reviews. Not everyone considers replayability to only be the ability to replay the game and achieve a different story/ending. Replayability is the desire to play through a game again, whether that desire be to achieve a different ending or to just play the same game one more time. So a game with multi-endings and storylines might have more replayability than a single path game but to say that a movie/book/single path game has zero replayability is wrong. Also I have been a avid gamer for a damn long time, worked at a video game store for awhile, and competed on a professional level in quake 2, and now in Warcraft 3. So yes I do understand the "game world" as you put it....

[This message has been edited by Bigdog (edited 11-22-2002).]

quote:
Originally posted by Bigdog:
Actually I found Ruby, Emerald to be challenging. But the thing that makes them so weak and 99% of RPG bosses is the fact that most people are strategy guide happy or find out through the grapevine how to beat a boss. If you actually took the time to come up with a strategy to beat a boss and had to figure out its weakness' then I consider it a job well done by the programmers. This is not implying that you used a strategy guide or anything Nandemonai, just saying that most out there do and that is what makes the bosses so easy.

I found out that Emerald is weak against Gravity, which will more or less deal 9999 even with the weakest spell, so I just stuck a master Gravity-master All plus a Quadra Magic - Gravity on all my characters and then W-magic. That, plus a few level 4 limit breaks...and he's toast

As for Ruby Weapon...simple enough. A mastered Counter materia linked to a Mime materia. All you need. Know why? You can't counter attack a counter attack, so you cast Knights once, he counters, you survive the counterattack-with-Ultima if you're buff...then you just let him hit you. Hell, you could beat him with no magic or summon materia equipped at all, just counter-mime and a ribbon and w-item; just use any danage-dealing item and an X-potion, leave, and come back next month.

But I will concede that I spoke hastily. I will retract the claim that they suck.

quote:
Originally posted by olf_le_fol:
[quote] Originally posted by Bigdog:
[b] After the dictionary post, I stated that I thought replayability is the ability to enjoy replaying the game/movie/book. I only posted the definition to state that replayability had nothing to do with the game being different the second time through. The arguement technically is moot since it is so opinionated. I could enjoy the exact same story 5 times while you on the other hand would never play it a second time. But the way I rate replayability is by in my opinion would alot of people be willing to replay this game. In that light I figure that a game like "Chain" actually has more replayability than a game like "Kango Shicyauzo". Kango may be multi-pathed, but I think Chain's story was much better and more people would replay chain over the long haul than they would Kango.

Perhaps you then just don't read enough game reviews, but "replayability", as far as the game world is concerned, has a definition... which is just the one I wrote. You can review "Chain" and write "Replayability: a lot" and explain it's because the game is so good people would want to replay it again and again, even if it's everytime exactly the same thing and story, but, IMO most of your readers would comment it's not what people mean by "replayability"... So, yes, the argument is moot because you're using your definition of the word, when I was using the generally used definition of the word, applied to PC games.

[This message has been edited by olf_le_fol (edited 11-22-2002).][/b] [/quote]

Any argument can be won by a strategic change of definitions.

quote:
So a game with multi-endings and storylines might have more replayability than a single path game but to say that a movie/book/single path game has zero replayability is wrong.

[This message has been edited by Bigdog (edited 11-22-2002).]

No, it isn't. Tell me again how you play a book? I don't quite remember.

*hides*

quote:
Originally posted by ekylo:
So you're saying it helps to be full of drugs to find the best ending?!?

Just kidding. And just be happy this thread wasn't like the other monster you spawned. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]

[img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/tongue.gif[/img].

Monster-spawned threads are fun! i mean, we sure don't get many threads as big as that one... nor any threads as funny as that, either [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img].

quote:
Originally posted by Nandemonai:
I found out that Emerald is weak against Gravity, which will more or less deal 9999 even with the weakest spell, so I just stuck a master Gravity-master All plus a Quadra Magic - Gravity on all my characters and then W-magic. That, plus a few level 4 limit breaks...and he's toast

As for Ruby Weapon...simple enough. A mastered Counter materia linked to a Mime materia. All you need. Know why? You can't counter attack a counter attack, so you cast Knights once, he counters, you survive the counterattack-with-Ultima if you're buff...then you just let him hit you. Hell, you could beat him with no magic or summon materia equipped at all, just counter-mime and a ribbon and w-item; just use any danage-dealing item and an X-potion, leave, and come back next month.

But I will concede that I spoke hastily. I will retract the claim that they suck.

Ruby's meteor attack can kill you in one hit. So just leaving counter/mime equipped will not guarantee you a win. The best counter for his attack is to wear the high evasion armor (forget its name) BUT that still does not guarantee enough of them will miss that you will survive, its just a decent chance enough will miss.

quote:
No, it isn't. Tell me again how you play a book? I don't quite remember.

*hides*

Technically Re-reading the book would be considered replaying it according to the definition of replay. But if you want to be nitpicky, fine scrath movie/book and just leave game.

quote:
Ruby's meteor attack can kill you in one hit. So just leaving counter/mime equipped will not guarantee you a win. The best counter for his attack is to wear the high evasion armor (forget its name) BUT that still does not guarantee enough of them will miss that you will survive, its just a decent chance enough will miss.

?

Unless I'm mistaken, it actually can't do that. Well, at least, he clobbered my character with it and it never did enough damage to do that. It'd have to do 9999.

I don’t give a rats arse about replability as long as the game rocks. For instance of a game that if bought new would take a total of about 20 minutes to beat all 3 endings besides the gay path " I won’t go there" is Saint Master. The only reason to buy this game is for teh cool mouse shaped mouse pad. I only piad 9 dollars for the game so I wasn;t to disapointed, but I highly suggest everyone stay away from this game unless you can get it for pennies on the dollar.

I’m mainly interested in the story, and of cuorse prefere erotic scenes, and not cheap ones.

quote:
?

Unless I'm mistaken, it actually can't do that. Well, at least, he clobbered my character with it and it never did enough damage to do that. It'd have to do 9999.

I don't remember exactly its been awhile, just read at game faqs and according to a couple faqs Ruby double casts Comet2 which does around 8000dmg. So maybe he can't kill you in one hit. I seem to remember Comet2 being able to do more dmg to my character, which was 99 and a crazy high magic rating. Gonna have to reload my game in the next couple days and see what he casts again to be sure [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by Bigdog (edited 11-24-2002).]

quote:
I don't remember exactly its been awhile, just read at game faqs and according to a couple faqs Ruby double casts Comet2 which does around 8000dmg. So maybe he can't kill you in one hit. I seem to remember Comet2 being able to do more dmg to my character, which was 99 and a crazy high magic rating. Gonna have to reload my game in the next couple days and see what he casts again to be sure [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by Bigdog (edited 11-24-2002).]

Which is why you have counter-mime set up so that you mime a w-item; just use an X-potion and any damaging item that actually works on Ruby Weapon. Since Ruby can't actually kill you in one hit, and you heal yourself to full every time you get hit, you are effectively invincible.

Yeah I understood that, just thought I remembered Ruby being able to kill a character in one hit. I don’t have my copy of FF7, its one of the games that is perpetually borrowed by my brother, when I get a chance gonna reload just to see what Ruby casts. Either way, the only real argument was that they were easy and that debate was finished a couple posts ago, so no point dragging it out. There are 100 different ways to kill either of these bosses some more challenging than others, but the fun is devising your own ways to do it. Example killing Emerald by going into crazy 7s mode

There are acceptable replayabilities and unacceptable one. The replayability for Gloria is very high, but it is so tedious to go through the so many branches, I would say it had more possible flags than Tokimeki Check-In for unique possible subevent CGs, that I had to kind of give up and resort to a walkthrough after reaching 84%CG. Tokimeki Check-In! was enjoyable to play through because my time was a short three days of managing the Inn, and unique paths usually didn’t have that much overlap in that dialogue except for the meals.