Response Regarding Family Project Changes

First of all I would like to say I accept Peters explaination and I honestly dont mind. Its a bit odd but nothing that effects the story.

For people who are saying that its not obscene. Your most likely right. Most likely nothing would of happened. But for a erotic company on such a sketchy niche as eroge, they simply just dont want to risk it on “Most likely”. Its called self censorship that most companies do. They censor themselves to negate any hazard they could encounter. Ultimately its up to Jast to determine how far do they want to self censor and from what I see that answer is as little as possible.

Hmmm, I’m not really happy about the picture censorship, and I don’t agree with the notion that having them in uncensored would cause any legal issues this side of the pond. That said, given the choice of a picture censor or a full character/story rewrite in a story heavy game like this, I think I’d rather go with the picture censorship. I still don’t like it, but well, as long as it gets us one of the (supposedly) best erogames ever in English, I can live with that.

I only relatively recently started playing erogames again after a break from the genre for a couple of years, so I’ve missed out on the whole X-Change 3 censorship debate (and I never played any of them but the first one). I can’t see the huge deal really. I do think that there is the principle of the matter with Peter saying he’ll let people know in advance when this sort of thing happens and he didn’t, which isn’t a good thing to forget. Still, I think some people are making a mountain out of a molehill. It’s annoying that the censorship of something so light is deemed necessary due to the current political climate, and I personally don’t think it’s necessary, but on the other hand I’m not running the company in charge of releasing it who will have to face the consequences if it DOES somehow end up causing trouble, however slim the chance. It’s easy to say “just do it anyway” when you’re risking nothing at all. In that light, I can agree with the decision that despite the very low risk, it’s not worth gambling everything they have on. I know better than to underestimate how anal the U.S “justice” system can be. I don’t like it, not in the least, but I can appreciate that they believe this decision is for the best.

So yeah, that’s my 2 cents. The whole thing about not letting people know in advance could certainly have been handled better, but well, live and learn.

The issue is that he is using his personal view of obscenity. Obscenity is not an objective entity. While people like us, who play eroge games, might not view them as obscene, some uptight moral block-head consistently does. There are always a lot of people moaning about the “sexual deviance” when simply a girl undulating in a bikini is shown… so if the right person gets a hold of such images, it is possible that the issue of obscenity is raised.

My point was two-fold. First, is that reason doesn’t factor in to the minds of these “moral crusaders”. Second, if well established laws are not written well enough to exclude such asinine instances, what hope is there that “moral crusaders” won’t twist a law as vague as “mailing obscene matter” (which is the other charge Handley plead guilty on) to their purposes?

Honestly, it’s like I’m talking to children. Do you not know the law of your own country? The censored content is not in any grey area. A judge can’t decide something is illegal just because he feels like it, it still has to break a law, and the censored content breaks no law. What about this is so hard to understand? ‘Sexual deviance’ is not illegal. Please read the law.
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/1466A.html

If you read the first post in this topic, Peter is offering to give unconditional refunds to anyone who bought the game and felt gipped.

If you are claiming the law is vague then you clearly have not read the law. I’ll post it again http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/1466A.html
A nude image does not in any way violate this law. She is not engaging in sex, she is not doing anything sexual.

Oh jeez, not the ages again >_>
I think the correct answer is that the characters in Kazoku Keikaku should not be assigned numerical ages. I mean, didn’t the ages spawn an argument before which resulted in them being removed from the g-collections page? But, for some reason, they’re back again.

Also, the protagonist isn’t waiting for her to become of legal age, but instead waiting for her to be ready for that kind of relationship. Difference there, and it doesn’t rely on her being a particular numerical age to work!

Again, you clearly do not understand the way the law works in the US. The way the law can be interpreted is very clear. If there is no sexual conduct, it cannot possibly be considered against the law. The censored scenes contain no sexual conduct. You cannot somehow stretch that law out and say the scenes break it. It doesn’t matter if all the judges in the US are against the content, they can’t determine something illegal if it does not break a law.

Not to say whether you’re wrong or anything, but I just want to go off on a slight tangent to clarify that simply reading the letter of the law is actually not enough to determine whether you are liable for some offense in the US. The US operates under a “common law” system where the deciding factor is based on a body of precedence. Basically, once a certain precedence-setting court has ruled that a certain wording of the law is supposed to mean X, it pretty much sticks (until invalidated) and the other courts have to follow along with this interpretation. Hence, it is important for lawyers here in the US to be familiar with pretty much all the previous cases in their area of expertise. Do note that since the Handley case didn’t actually go to trial, the result isn’t binding.

Again, Handley’s case featured children actually engaging in sex, bestiality, guro, etc. It was clearly against the law. Please tell me what part of “depicts a minor engaging in sexually explicit conduct” is open for interpretation.

You realise sexually explicit conduct is already defined in the link I posted right? It’s not open for interpretation.

Yea. The laws out there right now, are defined right now. If this game was released right now with the censorship removed, it would not be considered illegal. If in the future, it somehow was, JAST could simply stop selling it, and at that point sell the censored version.

I will make one last post, then I’m off to bed.
It seems to me that you linked to that law without carefully reading it. I’m no legal expert by any means, but there is a carefully placed “or” in the law. I will put it in bold in this quote:

Now do you see the danger?
Second, if you click on the link that leads to the legal definition of “sexually explicit conduct”, you’ll see this:

Which refutes your claim that a simple naked picture doesn’t qualify as “sexually explicit”.

You’re quoting the wrong part of the law to apply to the Handley case. I think what you’re looking for is in part (2). For part (2), what is the definition of “a minor”? Does this mean a specific person in real life or a fictional minor? How does one determine whether a fictional character is a minor or not? How does one determine whether a fictional character looks like a minor? Now, I’m not 100% sure if these are valid, but these are off the top of my head. If you’re really interested in this area, I suggest you talk to a lawyer in the US who practices in this area.

Sexually explicit conduct is defined, but “obscenity”, what the post you were replying to was referring to, is not defined by the law; it was defined via precedence through the Supreme Court’s interpretation in Miller vs. California.

A new law would have to be made to declare this game illegal, if the censorship were removed. Of course, it is very possible that such a law could be made in the near future. However, JAST would not be responsible, for breaking a law that didn’t exist when it released the game.

It’s great that you should mention that, because I did read that. It’s great that an ‘or’ exists there. But it still has to meet both A and B. (See the and there?) The ‘or’ refers to part 2, which the censored parts clearly do not break.
I know what lascivious means. It’s legal jargon for lewd lustful etc. Again, this wouldn’t hold up in court, and if it did, it wouldn’t hold up in supreme court. Even if it did, it clearly refers to the genitals, even though the breasts were censored too.

"“minor” means any person under the age of eighteen years; " Do I seriously need to tell you what a minor is?
While obscenity is vague and open for interpretation, something cannot only be considered obscene, it has to also be sexually explicit. Hence "depicts a minor engaging in sexually explicit conduct; and is obscene;

First I’d like to at least tanks Peter for this response.

At first, I didn’t really feel ofended by this censorship since it seems it couldn’t be helped…
But some anons here had a point when saying that you can find far worse in some manga (I was also thinking about yubisaki milk tea). So now I wonder what will happens in your next releases (I don’t really car about the lie since Peter offered refunds forthose who are unhappy (I can understand them)). Is it really necessary ? Is the rule of the “they’re all over 18” not enough anymore ?

And the most important : Will you go on and censor everything related to loli nudity ?

Everyone here talk about YMK, but there is another game far more similar to KK : The Sagara family.
Remember the little Ruruka… http://www.peachprincess.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GC026&Category_Code=
She did things far mor explicit than just showing her nipples and you can assume she is about the same age as Matsuri.

Please at least try to read the rest of the paragraph I wrote.

Ah good, we finally agree on something. What you describe here is common law at work.

That is correct.

Then what is your point? She is not engaging in sexually explicit conduct, so whether or not it’s obscene is irrelevant.