Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei

Has anyone read the manga or seen the anime?

I really like these kind of anime including both the art style and the storyline. Unfortunatly it looks like despite it’s niche popularity it won’t get translated. Probably would have been picked up by Geneon, but we all know that can’t happen now…

Maybe I’ll ask to see if we can get the artist to come to our convention next year. That might give the anime some exposure.

Anyway for those who want to know what it’s about, the main character is uber pessimistic suicidal teacher and the main female role is a student who is uber optimistically and seems to act naive (though i get the feeling she actually is just denying reality). The anime really plays on Japaneses name conjugation a lot.

I’m a fan.

I love the series because of its kanji wordplay, and the deliciously morbid that’s not really so deliciously morbid… or is it? Mwa, ha, ha, ha!

Wikipedia surprisingly has an article on it, so there’s hope for the English speaking world still. :shock:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sayonara_Z … %8D_Sensei

EDIT - fixed broken link

It was so good. Now, I will watch the second season soon. =)

I’m also a fan. I loved the parade of stalkers.

The stalker parade was great. I’m glad to see the author doesnt’ forget to use elements he’s incorporated into later chapters/volumes as the stalker parade continues. :stuck_out_tongue:

Like I said, it would be nice if it were translated here so more people could experience it.

Hey… for anyone who is reading the manga…

Do you think Kafuka is a yandere who has yet to strike? ? I’m being serious here… there’s always talk about her having the “scent of blood” around her and a hidden darkside.

Very much so. They dropped a lot of hints at it in the anime as well.

LOL! Stole this from a random anime forum. They were arguing if SZS was a harem show or not. End consensus was, its a harem (at least four girls are in love with him).

The “Knows Nozomu is Emo” part, is knowledge if the girl in question, is aware that Nozumu fakes his suicide attempts.

I just fell in love with Komori… this is scary because I just seen her for the first time and shes going up my “favorite anime girl” list like crazy. She is one crazy cute little hikikomori. Awww I wana take her home…

I think everyone loves Komori. She’s so vulnerable, yet easily turns violent whenever someone threatens her personal space. She also has that “Osaka from Azumanga” type thinking. Not to mention she’s bi-sexual, has a hawt body, can cook, and very loyal to the man she loves. Not to mention that hair… that oh so sexy hair! :slight_smile:

However I love Matoi and Chiri just as much. Chiri is 100% yandere. She keeps razor blades in her bra for God sake! Plus its constantly hinted that she’s killed people, but the cops can’t pin any evidence. Matoi is pure love that won’t quit. Jiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii~

On a side note: isn’t it neat how Chiri and Matoi don’t seem to mind each other sharing their sensei? Chiri never snaps into her yandere mode, when Matoi gets closer. While I’m pretty certain that Chiri is unaware about Komori being a rival, Matoi knows the hikikomori is one. An then there’s Mayo… PURE EVIL INCARNATE!!!

Can you include some head shot pictures of these girls Narg? I can’t quite visualize which ones you’re talking about since the parts of the manga I’ve read hasn’t shown a complete class list. (I know Stalker Girl, Hikimori Girl, and Hairpart Uptight Girl by sight at least)

:roll: So many characters to keep track of in these school dramas.

Stole this from Wikipedia. :stuck_out_tongue:

From left to right: Rin, Kiri (kneeling), Nami, Matoi (at top), Maria, Harumi, Kaere, Chiri, Abiru, Ai, Mayo, Meru, Manami, and Kafuka

[list]Rin = Nozomu’s younger sister

Kiri = Hikikomori

Nami = Ordinary girl

Matoi = Stalker

Maria = Illegal immigrant

Harumi = Yayoi girl

Kaere = Split personality girl (aka panties girl)

Chiri = Perfectionist yandere

Abiru = Bandaged girl

Ai = Apologetic girl

Mayo = Evil incarnate

Meru = Phone text girl

Manami = Married girl

Kafuka = Cheerful girl[/list]

Of course this still is only a fraction of the full cast.

I swear that Hellboy style ending credits is way cool. 8)

I just learned that a skit in the second season’s episode 11 (???) was partly based on a 1961 movie (???). Gotta get my hands on that… I really liked that episode - arguably my favorite - so the original must be morbid to the extreme. It was like an evil Sister Princess. :twisted:

Just finished Zoku… hell, she’s a shotacon… how can it be better?
And was I the only one who got a stroke at the last episode? Especialy at the Miku part?

Komori certainly loves to tease Majiru, doesn’t she? Though she’s an only child, you can tell Komori always wanted a younger brother thanks to him. Nozomu and Majiru are the only two males she allows to get close to her. Even her own father gets attacked. Though Majiru is stimulated by Komori (and who wouldn’t be), his heart really goes for Maria… Nozomu seems completely oblivious to Komori’s affection towards him - probably because she’s never directly admitted it to him, unlike Matoi and Chiri.

Not my favorite mind you, but I enjoyed the 26th episode a lot. The Meru skit was cute beyond cute. And of course, the closing credits were awesome. :smiley:

Tease? Well yeah… and have hot shota seks with him. :smiley:

Yeah and the colored OP was total win.
And Meru… hah, the cuteness (and the foul mouth…errr finger…whatever)!
Hey Narg, do you remember piroriparopirirora? (season 1, episode 5, the onsen)

I seriously doubt she ever slept with Majiru. Nothing in the manga supports it, so we can rule out that for information. :slight_smile:

In the anime, only Chie had a relationship with her. Even then, she had a tremendous loyalty to Nozomu: in her dreams, she whispers his name (first season, episode 5) - and when Chie heard this, her response seems to be an acceptance that she couldn’t compete with him. This relationship ended in the second season, when Komori moved into Nozomu’s home, so that she could be with and watch over him (second season, episode 3 – although she officially moved in at episode 11 in the first season). Also it would appear that Komori maintained her virginity, as she offered it to Nozomu when she thought he would sleep with her (first season, episode 11). She’s also VERY impressed by the “manliness” that she missed a chance to see, during the healing spring trip (first season, episode 12).

Most of the Majiru x Komori pairing comes from the fanservice episode for her (second season, episode 4), however several things should be noted. First off, she was purposefully toying with him (and he was fully aware of that). Secondly, he never got a chance to really see her in the bikini. Logically its likely Komori got the bikini, for Nozomu to see, as following episodes only reinforced that Komori saw Majiru as a little brother, and she continued her subtle hints of affection for Nozomu. Komori also got Majiru to admit that he liked Maria in that episode.

Yea… I follow Komori’s subplot a bit too much. :stuck_out_tongue:

Of course! I love how none of his students were ashamed to let him see them naked… at least two begged him to look at them. And their reaction to seeing him naked was priceless. :smiley:

Nozomu is one hell of an interesting male lead. He’s intelligent, wealthy, attractive, nicely endowed, makes friends easily, and surrounded by beautiful women who love him… yet he’s still emo as hell. :lol:

Sheesh, stop destroying my fantasies damnit :smiley:

By the way, is there a chance that Nozomu really is a vampire like in the last ED?
I mean rich family, wierd family (Despair, Death, etc.), bleak personality, mild perversity, EYEBALL DEMON UNDER THE HOUSE?

Naw… that was just a Hellboy inspired teaser. Still, its really neat how Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei with a vampire/zombie setting seems to work. All those students and family as thralls was really cool. 8)

According to Ann Rice and Castlevania, emo is what powers a vampire: in that case, Nozomu would be a Vampire God. :wink:

True.

Ahh… whatever, I’m in love with this anime. I think I’m just gonna do the rumba rumba rumba, and keep bure bure bure!