Shrine Maidens! Shrine Maidens!

I wouldn’t call XP an upgrade at all, because it sucks horribly.

Of course, that’s my opinion based on the knowledge I have of the system.

Look at when Win98 came out. Was it a real upgrade? Hell no. Tons of stuff went haywire.

The moral of the story is:
“Newer isn’t always better.”

[This message has been edited by Benoit (edited 09-25-2004).]

Well, eventually an upgrade is going to be mandatory, because things will be made that no longer run on the older OS. That’s a fact of life. I’m inclined to agree with bishounen_blue in that I don’t think it’s XP specifically, but rather probably a combination of specific drivers that end up being used in XP that cause the compatability problems.

Of course, what ever I upgrade to, I’m going to have to see if I can even find drivers for all of my hardware in the new OS, and then hope that it doesn’t cause just those sorts of compatability problems.

[This message has been edited by Wolfson (edited 09-25-2004).]

quote:
Originally posted by Wolfson:
I'm inclined to agree with [b]bishounen_blue in that I don't think it's XP specifically, but rather probably a combination of specific drivers that end up being used in XP that cause the compatability problems.

[This message has been edited by Wolfson (edited 09-25-2004).][/b]

Incompatibility with old DOS programs is a separate story. I am a developer, so I understand exactly the reason why incompatibilities arise: because they are fundamentally different systems and XP emulates DOS. I am not sure, but I am reasonably certain, that when you run a DOS program on NT/2K/XP it spawns a DOS emulator, and creates a virtual machine that it then runs something like DOS (that is not DOS) on. Since it's a virtual machine, not the actual machine, there are some things that don't work.

As for Windows programs not working, it may or may not be a bug in Windows. It's VERY common for bugs to mask other bugs, and for bugs to only appear in very narrow circumstances. It is entirely possible, for instance, that Windows has some bug most hardware driver writers know about BUT the one that wrote the driver for the hardware that has the problem.

About a month ago I upgraded DirectX and my burner stopped being recognized. Couldn't play GC games because the copy protection broke, couldn't burn, the computer wasn't very useful. Then I installed this unofficial Win98SE "service pack" that installed like 70 different Windows hotpatches, and my problem went away. Don't know why, but obviously one of the Windows patches fixed the problem - but I still can't say it's a Windows bug, it could have been crappy hardware that Windows people worked around.

[This message has been edited by Nandemonai (edited 09-25-2004).]

quote:
Originally posted by Benoit:
I wouldn't call XP an upgrade at all, because it sucks horribly.

Of course, that's my opinion based on the knowledge I have of the system.

Look at when Win98 came out. Was it a real upgrade? Hell no. Tons of stuff went haywire.

The moral of the story is:
"Newer isn't always better."

[This message has been edited by Benoit (edited 09-25-2004).]

Yeah sure, XP just sucks so horribly. That's why when you buy a new computer it will come with Win 98 on it right. And if you request XP, people will think you're crazy because XP really sucks. Man, what are you thinking? I have not tried to run any ancient DOS games, but I have been able to run every bishoujo game that I have, English or Japanese, on this PC without problems. So I guess your experience with XP is too limited to make such judgements. I'm sure you only defend Win 98 because it's what you have. However, I do agree that newer isn't always better, because Win ME was terrible! I used it and I didn't like it at all. It was bad, and that's why Win2K came out shortly after ME. XP on the other hand has been around for a while and Microsoft just released a major update for Win XP. So it seems that most people are pleased with this version of XP. I can understand that you wouldn't want to spend the money to upgrade the OS when there are so many other things to buy, but that's not a good reason to say that it "sucks horribly."

[This message has been edited by bishounen_blue (edited 09-25-2004).]

quote:
Yeah sure, XP just sucks so horribly. That's why when you buy a new computer it will come with Win 98 on it right. And if you request XP, people will think you're crazy because XP really sucks. Man, what are you thinking?

XP doesn't come with new systems because it is better, but because it is newer. PC manufacturers have a contract with Microsoft to deliver the latest Windows system with all the PCs that they buy.
quote:
I have not tried to run any ancient DOS games, but I have been able to run every bishoujo game that I have, English or Japanese, on this PC without problems. So I guess your experience with XP is too limited to make such judgements.

Can we say lucky? Browse this board's Help section. See how many people have problems with XP. Ask several people who use compatibility mode how it works for them. If it does work, it's sometimes slow as hell, while they have a CPU of +2 Ghz. It's silly.
quote:
I'm sure you only defend Win 98 because it's what you have.

BEEP! Wrong assumption. I don't have Windows 98.
quote:
It was bad, and that's why Win2K came out shortly after ME.

BEEP! Windows ME is a home OS. Windows 2000 is a network OS. The two are not related.
quote:
XP on the other hand has been around for a while and Microsoft just released a major update for Win XP. So it seems that most people are pleased with this version of XP.

Which is even more reason to say it sucks, since it has been out for a while, yet still sucks at backwards compatibility, while other OSes already were fixed at this point.
I wouldn't say people are pleased with XP. It's the newest OS available, and they can't get another one in stores, so it's what they use.

Well then we are 2 lucky bastards
I have 10 of G-C games now and i have’t had any problems running them on my computer.
Yes you guessed right i have a machine with XP and SP2.
It runs as smooth as silk.

There you go. You see what I mean Benoit. People with XP can run the games with no problem. Sometimes people have problems but there’s no way for you to say that XP is the problem. It’s like Wolfson said, it could be a combination of different drivers or other things that is the problem. But if you want to pretend that it’s the OS at fault, then I guess I’ll just keep getting lucky, over and over, with every game I play. When Duel Savior comes in the mail next week maybe I’ll be lucky enough to get it to run. Heh, if I were to try to run it on Win 98, that would take a lot of patching and a lot of luck. I’ll just put it in and it’ll play. I guess I am lucky. Lucky to have XP.

I never said that JP games would work on your Win98. So yes, in that aspect, you are lucky to have XP.

But the fact that you can run all your games fine doesn’t mean that everything’s clear on the horizon. Even if it’s a combination of drivers, it’s still the OS’ fault, since it’s the entity that regulates the drivers.

Service Pack 2 is a step in the right direction, but it’s not all good. For example, now there’s a Windows Security Center. Look at the options relating your anti-virus in it. What’s that? It only wants payed anti-virus software? Fine, put it to “manual administration”, and you’re back to where you started.

Been with Windows since 3.1, got no issues with XP myself. Of course, I can’t play DUNGEON KEEPER anymore, but that’s because it was timed to hardware.

Have to go with Wolfson and Bishounen here.
Many of my former problems with my computer had to do with bad written drivers and incompatible hardware.
Like graphic and sound card drivers and hard drives not functioning properly with NForce based motherboards.

I didn’t want to add to the OS flames, but as a former IT person who had to support the various flavors of Windows, let me add this.

Windows 98 was great in its time. It was a major step forward in terms of hardware compatibility. It’s still a very useful system for older hardware. But it’s yesterday’s technology. XP was a major step forward after the aberration known as ME. I’ve spent more hours trying to help people get their 98 systems to run new software than the other way around. It’s so nice not having to deal with blue screens, orphaned drivers and ancient security bugs, that I can’t imagine preferring Windows 98 over XP.

I guess 98 has the same appeal to people who prefer CD drives to DVD drives. What I’ve got now works fine, why does the rest of the world want me to upgrade?

My new computer will have Windows 98 SE. Why? Because it’s less resource-hogging than XP, has better compatibility, a nicer user interface, doesn’t treat me like an idiot, is not being exploited through security bugs, and won’t secretly leak out my information to Microsoft.

I too used to stay at win98 as much as I can, but a couple of things made me upgrade to win2k.

- fat32 doesnt support files over 2gb. i deal with digital animation and movies, and sometimes i need to make huge uncompressed avi files.
- fat32 doesnt support any HD bigger than 80gb. i bought a 120gb HD after my current 40gb HD craps out. then i realized fdisk having problems with formatting my HD.

it also was a big decision for me because i will then have to get used to the unicode system and be very aware of when windows treats japanese text as unicode and when as s-jis. but after i found out that i can live with it, i decided to upgrade to win2k

but now i have the urge to upgrade to XP because the new adobe products are only XP-compatible…bastards…

so benoit, u r pretty much okay with keeping win98 for now, but be warned that sooner or later when stuff gets phased out and new hardware becoming win98-incompatible u will have to follow what i had to do. but u dont need to worry about it for now of course.

so it ultimately depends on your personal needs, really. maybe benoit will never have to deal with 2GB+ files, or he will never need to buy a HD any bigger than 80GB in his life…

ADD
now, can we get back to the original topic?

[This message has been edited by Lamuness (edited 09-26-2004).]

quote:
so benoit, u r pretty much okay with keeping win98 for now, but be warned that sooner or later when stuff gets phased out and new hardware becoming win98-incompatible u will have to follow what i had to do. but u dont need to worry about it for now of course.

Yes, I'm aware of that. I got Windows 95 when Windows 98 was still pretty young, and it still pretty much suits my needs. But these days, I'm starting to see more and more programs not being compatible with Windows 95. Because of that, and also because I study Computer Science, I need to upgrade. This PC is 6.5 years old now anyway.
quote:
so it ultimately depends on your personal needs, really. maybe benoit will never have to deal with 2GB+ files, or he will never need to buy a HD any bigger than 80GB in his life...

I'm sure I'll never have files bigger than 2 GB. As for hard drives, at the moment I have a 6.2 GB HD, 2 GB+ of it used. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

Hey look at that, real shrine maidens
Nice picture Mozart

now, the question is, are they bare-naked beyond those robes? :stuck_out_tongue:

kawaii!

Oboy!!! She’s CUTE!!!
I want one of those can’t JList start selling them??
I think they are butt naked under those robes, or is it just my dirty imagination telling me they are that

Do you want to buy a miko?!!

For what do you want a miko??

(@;@) SPLAT
has a Nose blood for dirty thoughts