So any news of BS 2 in making?

or something similar

sorry, but as much as we too would like to see something like BS2, it ain’t happening, and I am very sure about this because we asked Crowd the exact same question and they said no way…

That sucks, guess too much work to make a BS type game. What other RPGs did Crowd make?

My guess is the problem with a BS2, is that Brave Soul was their only RPG. Now, I haven’t played it, but judging from at least how long it took to get it out, it’s obscenely complicated…designing and implementing a game like that has got to be utterly insane. You’d need to do it a few times before you could really get it down, and as we saw in another thread - BS was a huge money hole. A series of losses like that could sink Crowd, so they’re probably wise to retreat.

Ahh well that would explain why only a few companies have RPGs but they turn out quite a few. IE elf and alicesoft Too bad we don’t have any companies associated with Elf and alicesoft since there’s quite a lot of games that I want translated from those 2 companies

Actually, elf was not successful with RPG. When it was found, the most popular bishoujo game genre was dating game. The certain combination of multiple choices led to the differnt ending. Elf did poorly with its first six RPG. One game had lowest sale, and they never want to mention its title. When they released their seventh title, it was said that they had trouble to pay for their rent. Fortunately, the success of their seventh title(Dragon Knight) made a great sale record. So, the company could grow from that time.
Thus, making the profitable RPG is easy.

Cool…I did not know that; thanks, Logicgate. That’s interesting.

quote:
Originally posted by Logicgate:
Actually, elf was not successful with RPG. When it was found, the most popular bishoujo game genre was dating game. The certain combination of multiple choices led to the differnt ending. Elf did poorly with its first six RPG. One game had lowest sale, and they never want to mention its title. When they released their seventh title, it was said that they had trouble to pay for their rent. Fortunately, the success of their seventh title(Dragon Knight) made a great sale record. So, the company could grow from that time.
Thus, making the profitable RPG is easy.

Interesting... I also didn't know this. Thank you for providing this information.

You are welcome.

Uh. There was some typo. I meant making successful game is not easy.

Man I didn’t know that. all I knew was wordsworth is pretty fun if only I could get the sound to work. And they also had a few interesting looking Rpgs. Alicesoft’s Rpgs are pretty good too kinda like the old school console type rpgs at least Square of the moon was like that. I wish they’d localize them here so I wouldn’t have to make up dialog when I play them

Actually I think they’d have a better market here in the US for rpgs rather than the dating ones, well depending on the type.

quote:
Originally posted by wanfu2k1:
Alicesoft's Rpgsare pretty good too kinda like the old school console type rpgs at least Square of the moon was like that.

There was some article recently on the BBC website that mentioned the 'old school' games are making a comeback. People are going for the nostalgia feel of the 1980's games (geez I feel old just saying that) like Space Invaders.

I have heard the company that made it or owns the rights to it today in Japan, is even shipping some of the original style arcade machines back to the U.S. and Canada to put in the arcades, which these places are seeming waiting eagerly to do, or so the article reported.

I also agree though I am surprised, somewhat, that dating sims do better in the United States then rpg games in this genre, then again, there is perhaps a gult of rpgs in other genres and a dearth of dating sims.

Could be worse, they could have been talking about Pong instead…

quote:
Originally posted by ekylo:
Could be worse, they could have been talking about Pong instead....

Well now that you mention it, they are indeed talking about bringing that back too, in the original form.

Yep. My friend has the PS2 one with the classic games on it like Space Invaders, Centipede, Asteroids, etc.

Strange…i would think rpgs would be doing better…atleast by where i live (St. Louis) rpgs are the only games that you can never find at the used game places (except FF7-10 and the really c**p ones no one buys)…when they do come in, they are gone within a week, if not the next day…it pisses me off too. None of the other games are like that except Wurms: Armegedan.

quote:
Originally posted by woodelf:
Better buy a APPLE II, as well as that was the main reason the apple started for PONG like games.

APPLE II, now that brings back memories. I remember the first computer I had was an APPLE II and had no harddrive just floppy drives, when 'floppys' were still floppy.

quote:
Originally posted by Jinnai:
Strange...i would think rpgs would be doing better...atleast by where i live (St. Louis) rpgs are the only games that you can never find at the used game places

See that is part of what I mean though, there are so many rpg's on the market already I think there is space and in fact demand for something different like the dating sims. Come to think of it though outside of this genre I am not sure dating sims have ever really been that popular where I am now or where I grew up.

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 12-18-2003).]

quote:
Originally posted by SCDawg:
See that is part of what I mean though, there are so many rpg's on the market already I think there is space and in fact demand for something different like the dating sims. Come to think of it though outside of this genre I am not sure dating sims have ever really been that popular where I am now or where I grew up.

I'm not saying the dating sim market ins't scarse here, just that RPG market isn't either, atleast if you count the difficulty in finding the quality ones compared to any other game of similar quality (other than the dating sims).

I mean i was lucky when I heard Babbages down when I was visiting my grandparents a few years ago had Lunar 2 on sale for $40 and picked it up with all the money i had on me basically. But atleast that wasn't as hard to come by as my ps1 copy of tactics ogre....i will never loan that game out it is hard to get another copy of.

Bottom line, both of them are lacking sorely in the US compared to other games and its not a matter of profit. Morrowind, Balder's Gate 2 and ToEE, Xenosaga, every FF game since 7...i could go on...all made profits and they took a while to develope and what's more you can build fan bases much more easily since they're more diverse than fighting or FPS games (same with dating sims also).

Why most companies don't want to is because it does take time and effort (and yes advertising) to make quality RPGs that people will look forward to sequals and offshoots to, and tell their friends to buy. Its the same with any game, really, but especially true with RPGs, and to a lesser extent, Dating Sims as they rely moreso on storyline elemnts that say, Grand Theft Auto.

[This message has been edited by Jinnai (edited 12-18-2003).]

In relation to the RPG’s though what happened to the days of the now classic series released by Serria, that were somewhat roleplaying I guess, their trilogy of games? They lasted and they were sequels upon sequels, but I think even they reached a point of asking why another sequel which could be another problem. They milk the successful ones into the ground until people are tired of the game and the genre in general instead of finding new ways to make the same basic ideas exciting.

Quest for Glory

5 games in the series

So You Want to be a Hero?
Trial by Fire
The Wages of War
Shadows of Darkness
Dragon Fire

[This message has been edited by Doug (edited 12-19-2003).]

By trilogy of games, and I realize now I should have said series, I was thinking games collectivelly, as in all the games from their trilogy of Space Quest King’s Quest and Quest for Glory. Now though I realize I forgot Police Quest so I guess it is more then even a trilogy that way.