Something Awful Trashes Bravesoul

http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=1847

Man, that review stings!

His stupid comments about the game always crashing is due to the Operating System he uses , and not really the games fault. Brave Soul usually crashes in Win XP since XP is not created for games , I think. And since Brave Soul is an old game it isn’t that compatible with XP . Someone should suggest to him to play Brave Soul in Window 98.

According to comments in this thread the “reviewer” was trying to be funny. It didn’t strike me that way either. I think he’s just clueless when it comes to playing RPGs and keeping his system well maintained. If it didn’t cost $5 to join their silly forum, I’d post my there.

Something awful trashes virtually all H-games, so this is no surprise. I haven’t played BS yet but if the game does crash on XP, it is a legitimate complaint. The English version was released this year, and any incompatibilities with XP should have been ironed out before release. XP has been around for 2 years and is what most gamers use these days, so any new game(and it is a new game in the english speaking market)released now should be made to run on it.

[This message has been edited by dco_chris (edited 12-13-2003).]

quote:
Originally posted by dco_chris:
Something awful trashes virtually all H-games, so this is no surprise. I haven't played BS yet but if the game does crash on XP, it is a legitimate complaint. The English version was released this year, and any incompatibilities with XP should have been ironed out before release. XP has been around for 2 years and is what most gamers use these days, so any new game(and it is a new game in the english speaking market)released now should be made to run on it.

[This message has been edited by dco_chris (edited 12-13-2003).]

Peach Princess only translates the games and not create it from scratch. I even doubt that they would change anything in the source code of the game. So the real problem lies with the Japanese companies , And since that game was release before XP came out in Japan , I think the problems are understandable. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

quote:
Originally posted by dco_chris:
I haven't played BS yet but if the game does crash on XP, it is a legitimate complaint. The English version was released this year, and any incompatibilities with XP should have been ironed out before release.
While some people are having trouble, it's not certain where the fault lies. A number of people had difficulty reading one of the installation files because of CD-ROM drive incompatibilities. Others have reported XP problems, but some of us have not experienced them. I've installed the game on two XP systems, played fullscreen and windows modes and everything runs fine. Is it because I'm very conservative about doing upgrades and installing new software on those systems, or was it just a matter of luck? I don't know, but since many of us have been able to install on XP, I don't think you can call it an simple portation issue that should have been found and ironed out with pre-release testing.
quote:
Originally posted by dexter:
His stupid comments about the game always crashing is due to the Operating System he uses , and not really the games fault. Brave Soul usually crashes in Win XP since XP is not created for games , I think. And since Brave Soul is an old game it isn't that compatible with XP . Someone should suggest to him to play Brave Soul in Window 98.

It is funny as the last "gaming" OS was Windows 98 (please don't even mention Windows ME, that was a joke). However, M$ is retiring it next week. Oh, well.

Just like almost everybody else, I have encountered some random technical issues with BS, but, that haven't stopped me from enjoying the game. I use, BTW, Windows 2000 Pro.

As for the review itself, c'mon guys, should we even pay attention to that? We already know their "reviews" on b-games are made by clueless and biased people.

Despite the fact that Windows XP is a god-awfully hopelessly poor Operating System, Peach Princess is still to blame if the game crashes when running on it, because they do say that the game will work on it.

In the end, if they cannot ensure that the game will work on it, then it should not be listed under “System” on the Brave Soul page.

Anyway’s… Anyone tried the game under WINE or WineX? I’m thinking of buying it, but need to know if it will work on my system first.

Snow Drop works perfectly well under WineX, as does Critical Point. I’ve also had Divi-Dead and Fatal Relation working too, though lacking music (WINE has no support for MIDI).

Have you tried WineX or only the regular WINE?

I’m not really into the dual-boot thing (I like to keep my uptime ), or forking out for the rediculous cost of Windows. I ended up having to get a refund for the last copy of Windows XP I had, on the basis that I did not agree with the license. The computer manufacturer refused to sell me the computer without it - I would have had them in court over it if they hadn’t given me a refund.

EDIT: Oh yeah, as far as Something Awful goes, don’t take it seriously. The whole idea and purpose of the site is to piss people off. The guy doing the reviews probably enjoys the games as much as most of us do (Why would he have played so many otherwise?).

[This message has been edited by TurricaN (edited 12-13-2003).]

quote:
Originally posted by TurricaN:
I'm not really into the dual-boot thing (I like to keep my uptime [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img]), or forking out for the rediculous cost of Windows. I ended up having to get a refund for the last copy of Windows XP I had, on the basis that I did not agree with the license. The computer manufacturer refused to sell me the computer without it - I would have had them in court over it if they hadn't given me a refund.

To the best of my knowledge, Microsoft has been entering into agreements with computer retailers that they will not sell computers without an operating system. They claim this is to 'fight piracy'. Of course, this is probably illegal and you would probably have kicked their butts in court, which is why they gave it to you.

quote:
Originally posted by TurricaN:
Oh yeah, as far as Something Awful goes, don't take it seriously. The whole idea and purpose of the site is to piss people off. The guy doing the reviews probably enjoys the games as much as most of us do (Why would he have played so many otherwise?).

You think so? I think he bought it due to the girls and he didn't get one so he was frustrated and urged to write negative things about it.

ya know… it still amases me that he seems to hate bishoujo titles, but he seems to buy every single one of em…

As for wine for playing games on linux…before trying X make sure you are running the openGL version of the normal one and try with this. This enables some directx functions.
Oh yeah, some games might not run although should run properly due to copy protection. Wine has problems with sys files being used in some copy protections and therefore will not identify your real disc as a real one. There’s pretty much no way around having a Windows if you want to play games, that also counts for games that seem to be simply programed like bishoujo games.

quote:
Originally posted by Gambit:
ya know.. it still amases me that he seems to hate bishoujo titles, but he seems to buy every single one of em...

Buy? You really think he buys these? Considering that he's said in some of his reviews that "REAL versions of these games have voices, but the version I have doesn't", I don't think he's bought any of these games...

Unfortunately Zack did not bother to install the files I told him to install. In his own way, he loves these games, although you have to read between the lines to find this out. Remember, he’s a reviewer (e.g. failed writer), and that means being bitter about things. This game was not his cup of tea, apparently because all the sex is consentual.

For the record, Brave Soul should work on every system, period, without crashing or problems. The issues, which included a) some files that aren’t installed properly when you install the game the first time, b) a possibility incompatibilty with some CD-ROM drives (which is solved by the update we just posted) and c) a patch you need for the opening movie (either run the patch discussed in the support page or update Windows Media to the most current version), and you’ll be golden.

We did not have ONE SINGLE CRASH during all our testing, which was done with at least ten different PCs of varying flavors.

i don’t know why people get so angry by reading those reviews… gee… that’s their point of view… if you read them… and you’re really interested in the game… no matter what the reviewer said… you’ll get it… the same applies with good reviews… if the reviewer praises the game… but i think it s*cks… i won’t buy it…

quote:
Originally posted by Sandalphon:
i don't know why people get so angry by reading those reviews.. gee.. that's their point of view.. if you read them.. and you're really interested in the game.. no matter what the reviewer said.. you'll get it.. the same applies with good reviews.. if the reviewer praises the game.. but i think it s*cks.. i won't buy it..
I think it often strikes a nerve when somebody trashes something you like and especially when it seems like they didn't give it a fair trial. This so-called "review" is filled with inaccuracies and personal biases.

People say that Somethingawful intends its reviews to be humorous or provocative. That may be true, but the casual reader who finds it with a "Brave Soul review" web search may be discouraged from looking any further and write off the game without ever trying it. Had I been in that position, I might have scratched it off my 'must have' list. Since Peter apparently provided them with a review copy, it seems likely PP expected to get a fair hearing.

quote:
Originally posted by perigee:
Since Peter apparently provided them with a review copy, it seems likely PP expected to get a fair hearing.

I think Peter knew what he was going to get. It isn't like this is the first review Somethingafwul has done.

The review is so obviously biased that I doubt people would really take it seriously.

quote:
Originally posted by Peter Payne:
For the record, Brave Soul should work on every system, period, without crashing or problems.

Now, THAT is some claim! "Every system" eh? I'll buy it and see if it runs on my 7.2MHz 68000-based Amiga 500 with 1MB RAM shall I? [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

Seriously, please don't say "every system" when the game has in no way ever, been tested for every system. I doubt that it was even tested outside of a Windows environment, let alone on every modern currently available system.

anyway… no matter what reviewers say… if i like it… i buy it… god… i’m so willing to loose all my money for the cherrysoft’s games… no matter if people consider them cr+p or sadistic stuff… i like the CG art… and other stuff…

besides… no matter if the review’s either good or bad… some people notice about the existance of the genre via those things… and i think that this is the true purpose of a review… no what the reviewer wrote…

even ign wrote horrible stuff about tokimeki check in and i love that game…

[This message has been edited by Sandalphon (edited 12-14-2003).]