SomethingAwful reviews Jewel Knights Crusaders

Read and weep.
http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=2309

Well, it was not that bad, though.
But, I still have to play the game myself.
If there’s any bad point on that review it’s that he mentions the endings. >_<

… yikes, that is rather underage-looking, isn’t it…

Yes Hisui is kind of looking “young”

People who hate B-games shouldn’t review them. Especially when they are a serious H-game.

i enjoyed jewel knights, but i did hisui’s ending last and only did so for sake of completionism…i honestly felt downright sick during some of her sex scenes because, as much as i hate to agree with Something Awful, she does look 9 in most of them and there were others where it wouldn’t be stretching it to go younger

Don’t know about Jewel Knights, but I sure was reluctant to play Kobato in Come See Me Tonight. Like SA said “She’s fucking 8 years old.”

Well, I guess I’ll go against the stream and say that it doesn’t bother me. Seeing “adult-looking” girls being raped (Sensei 2, Virgin Roster) bothers me far more than seeing consensual sex with a character that is drawn to look very young (CMST, Jewel Knights). It’s not real, after all.

Or to put it another way: If the game had said she was 10 years old, and you were having sex with her, that might have bothered me. If the game says she is 18 years old, but the artists draw her very young-looking in order to make it appeal to some people, that’s an entirely different matter. “Reality” (the reality of the game’s story) matters more than character appearance to me.

[This message has been edited by AG3 (edited 08-13-2004).]

quote:
Originally posted by AG3:
Well, I guess I'll go against the stream and say that it doesn't bother me. Seeing "adult-looking" girls being raped (Sensei 2, Virgin Roster) bothers me far more than seeing consensual sex with a character that is drawn to look very young (CMST, Jewel Knights). It's not real, after all.

Or to put it another way: If the game had said she was 10 years old, and you were having sex with her, that might have bothered me. If the game says she is 18 years old, but the artists draw her very young-looking in order to make it appeal to some people, that's an entirely different matter. "Reality" matters more than appearance to me.

[This message has been edited by AG3 (edited 08-13-2004).]

I fully agree with the idea of "adult-looking" women/girls being raped as personally being far worse then consensual sex with "young-looking" character.

As AG3 is not real and as was said in other threads there are always ways to have a "young-looking" character being well over 2,000 years old in these games since they are not, well "reality". As long as people can keep young ages out of it, "young-looking" characters should not be a problem since this is a game, a work of fiction, not real, etc.

Yeah, but if you ask me, certain things can never be done, even fantasying.
I don’t have have a problem with young-looking characters (let’s say, 14-17 y.o.-looking), but very young-looking, child-like characters (less than 13 y.o.) bother me very much, even fictionals. So i have no intention to buy JEWELS KNIGHTS CRUSADER (even why, that artstyle is soooo strange .).

By the way, i was wondering, why SOMETHINGAWFUL didn’t review KANA-LITTLE SISTER or CRESCENDO yet? He didn’t bought them yet or he coudn’t to find something nasty or bad to say about them? What do you guys think?

[This message has been edited by Peter Gilis (edited 08-17-2004).]

quote:
Originally posted by Peter Gilis:
I don't have have a problem with young-looking characters (let's say, 14-17 y.o.-looking), but [b]very
young-looking, child-like characters (less than 13 y.o.) bother me very much, even fictionals. So i have no intention to buy JEWELS KNIGHTS CRUSADER (even why, that artstyle is soooo strange [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/eek.gif[/img].).[This message has been edited by Peter Gilis (edited 08-17-2004).][/b]

I always say this to people though, and ask them to keep this in mind, so long as there are outlets for people that like girls younger the 13 years, it increases the chances they will be doing such things in games or fiction only because they have that outlet. Would you want to take that outlet away and perhaps drive them to do it in reality?

Might not be fully logical, but is a fair question.

I tend to agree with you though, yet as said if it stops one person from doing it in real life, leave them in the games.

I understand what you mean, but i’m not telling to everyone to not to play bgames with very young-looking girls, like JKC. I’m just saying i don’t like such characters and the artstyle for JKC, so i have no intention to buy this one.

And anyway, who knows? Maybe someday G-col or PeaPri releases a bgame with very young-looking chars and very cute and beautiful artstyle, so i will be tempted to try this one (i know i am tempted to try MAHOU NO MUSUME-TACHI from Studio E-Go, because i love their artstyle, but i don’t want to because the lolikon atmosphere ^^’).

And like you said, is very better to play with fictional very young-looking girls than with real ones (and more legal, too).

quote:
By the way, i was wondering, why SOMETHINGAWFUL didn't review KANA-LITTLE SISTER or CRESCENDO yet? He didn't bought them yet or he coudn't to find something nasty or bad to say about them? What do you guys think?

Someone asked about Crescendo a couple months back, and someone pointed out a screenshot of Casual Romance Club, where you could see an icon of Crescendo on the desktop.
So I think you are right. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

Everyones different I guess. To me Cresendo has the ugliest style of any B games translated to date.

I actually thought it was one of the most realisitc styles thus far.

quote:
Originally posted by Laslow:
Everyones different I guess. To me Cresendo has the ugliest style of any B games translated to date.

.......! INFIDEL!! [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/mad.gif[/img]

*Starts to throw lemons in Laslow*

Dies from a lemon overdose

quote:

I agree on that. But as I said, when judging what happens in a game, I use the STORY, not the artwork, as a basis for my "make-believe". If the story says she is 16 or 18, it doesn't matter as much to me how young the artwork makes her look. If I was reading the story from a book, where I couldn't actually see the character myself (but the girl was described as looking very young), it wouldn't bother me either. To be honest, the rape parts of the game bothers me far more than the artwork does.

quote:
By the way, i was wondering, why SOMETHINGAWFUL didn't review KANA-LITTLE SISTER or CRESCENDO yet? He didn't bought them yet or he coudn't to find something nasty or bad to say about them? What do you guys think? [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]

I think he could, so personally I won't cry if he never reviews them.

Or, it might be that he actually likes them and doesn't want to badmouth them.

I must admit, I’ve been a fan of Something Awful for almost as long as I’ve been a fan of bishoujo-games, so really, I don’t take their criticisms personally. They ridicule tons of other things I like as well, but it’s all in good fun.

Hisui does look pretty young, but the rest of the characters look fantastic imho. Now, if only I had the funds for another $50 game…!

I kinda got tired of sites like his and “The best site in the universe” and Stileproject. If you’ve seen one loser who thinks he’s funny you’ve seen em all

They ARE funny, though.

(Yes, I also like the Something Awful site.)