Sound problem with Chain and Kango

Hello,

I purchased Kango and Chain, but, with those 2 titles, when I run the game I have the message : “There will be no voice or sound effects because the system does not support ADPCM files. Do you wish to continue ? (CODE = 0:0)”. And I have the choice : Yes or No. If I chose yes, the game starts and I have sounds effects but no voice in Chain (it’s ok for Kango). If I chose No, the game doesn’t start.

I have a computer meeting easily the requirements for these games. Could you please help me to have the voices in Chain (each time a voice should occur, I have a message error : failed to load voice) ?

I e-mailed G-Collections and they are doing their best to try to help me without success so far. I thank them for their dedicacy to help customers though.

Have you tried updating your Sound Card drivers? What type of Sound Card are you using? Which OS are you using?

I just tried to update my drivers, but, of course, it almost completely destroyed my computer (my computer skills are horrible). Thanks to a genius idea and a lot of random clicks (1 hour only !) I managed to get back to normal, or at least it seems…

My sound card is (I read from the box) : MSI K7T Pro (VIA KT133 chipset based, soundcard included in mainboard). I use Windows 98.
I have many other games with voices and I have no problem…well I had no problem until I tried to update my drivers, and I didn’t check if everything was ok.

I checked chain though and the problem is still the exact same one.

Thanks for your help.

quote:
Originally posted by Stephan:
I just tried to update my drivers, but, of course, it almost completely destroyed my computer (my computer skills are horrible). Thanks to a genius idea and a lot of random clicks (1 hour only !) I managed to get back to normal, or at least it seems...

My sound card is (I read from the box) : MSI K7T Pro (VIA KT133 chipset based, soundcard included in mainboard). I use Windows 98.
I have many other games with voices and I have no problem...well I had no problem until I tried to update my drivers, and I didn't check if everything was ok.

I checked chain though and the problem is still the exact same one.

Thanks for your help.

Stephan, usually the on board sound chips are of the AC97 variety. (Unless you use Nvidia nForce boards)

-Check the Motherboard Manufacturer for updated drivers.

quote:
Originally posted by Doug:
Stephan, usually the on board sound chips are of the AC97 variety. (Unless you use Nvidia nForce boards)

-Check the Motherboard Manufacturer for updated drivers.

Or Via's website for the 4-in-1 driver set.

Thanks for the info fxho. I did not download the right drivers the first time. Now, I updated these drivers (reluctantly after the first try), but I still have the same problem.

Any other idea ?

I checked, and I have the codec and it is enabled.

I am not sure about this 16 bit version though because I probably use the newer version for other softwares.

Thanks again for your help, I discover places in my computer I never visited…

I am open for any other suggestion.

quote:
I checked, and I have the codec and it is enabled.

I am not sure about this 16 bit version though because I probably use the newer version for other softwares.

Thanks again for your help, I discover places in my computer I never visited...

I am open for any other suggestion.

You might want to ask g-collection for help since they are the one that release the game here. I hope this help.

I downloaded the latest extras for directX 8.1 from microsoft containing new stuff for directsound, and still, it doesn’t fix the problem.

I don’t know if that’s what you mean by directsound drivers, since I never heard about directsound before I read your post and I still don’t know what it is, so drivers for this are just alien language for me.

If anyone can think about anything else, please, let me know, and thanks to all who tried.

DirectSound is part of DirectX so if you install DirectSound. However, there is DirectMedia which is separate from the DirectX. It should had came with the CD that you got. Try giving that a whirl. DirectMedia does video, but it is not as good as commerical video compression, but it is free and a lot of Japanese games use it.

Here is a question. You may not get music, but do you get the sound effects? (You know footstep, door openning etc…)

I get the music and sound effects. The only thing I don’t get are the voices.

One time (back when my computer was having troubles), I noticed an odd problem with Tokimeki Checkin!. Namely, some of the voices just would not play. It turns out that the files had been imperfectly copied onto my hard drive (I had a RAM chip that was riddled with errors and it corrupted lots of things until I noticed it). I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game, and boom–end of problem. This just affected the voices–sound was fine–so while I doubt you’ve got hardware issues, you may want to reinstall and also double check to make sure there aren’t any grease spots on the CD or anything. (I had that affect a CD once. It wouldn’t read right until I cleaned it off.)

Unfortunately, I already tried to install the game 3 times (3 different types of install) and always the same problem, and the CD looks perfect…
I am getting desperate…

Did you try exorcising the gremlins from your computer? You know you aren’t supposed to feed them after midnight.

I’m afraid my exorcism skills are as poor as my computer skills…
Would you like to try ?

quote:
I'm afraid my exorcism skills are as poor as my computer skills...
Would you like to try ?

It's not the best idea, to ask someone for help in an exorcism, that is in cahoots with the vampire-lemons... [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/tongue.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by Unicorn (edited 08-29-2002).]

Excuse my lack of knowledge (again…), but what do you mean by “cahoots” and “vampire-lemons” ?

This has to do with Nandemonais secret and evil plans.

But, because he has a very good attorney, I am not allowed to say any more about this…

Wait Kango has voice acting??? The only voice I got is the intermission scenes where they say kango. So you have a MSI board too huh I think there’s a problem with the AC97 drivers in 98 and Kango Because I have the same problem with no BGM in Kango on win98 but I get the BGM when I run it on XP. Still haven’t found a fix for it though I’ll probably just breakdown and buy a real soundcard stupid onboard soundcard is crappy anyway.

quote:
Excuse my lack of knowledge (again...), but what do you mean by "cahoots" and "vampire-lemons" ?

"Cahoots" is a word I'm surprised that Unicorn, a nonnative speaker, knows.

"In cahoots with" is basically the same as "conspiring with" or "scheming with".

As for vampire lemons, that's an inside joke.