Tell me a little more about Family Project

Even though you’ve got to take anything from that site with a healthy pinch of salt, it’s worth noting that The Family Project is the 2nd highest ranking game at Erogamescape. Only Ever17 has a higher overall average score.

Usually (and that’s a strong usually) when Erogamescape says a game is outstanding (top 5% or so), it’s pretty safe to assume its a good game… that or only a few people actually voted for it.

For what they rate as an “average” title - you’ll definitely want to do your own research and make your own conclusions. I think the site becomes useless at times for these games. :expressionless:

Games that are rated abysmally, typically are as bad as they sound… but I’d still checkout the demo just in case.

Wow, lots of choices, this is gonna be one heck of a game, and I bet I’m gonna be confused as hell my first few times through. How many save slots does it have? With that many choices I hope it’s more than the usual.

I would find it interesting if it is the girl coming onto the guy though. I liked Emiru’s path in the Sagara family due to the fact that she is jumping on you rather than you jumping on her.

Probably the other way around, since the original release date for KK predates Ever 17 by a year.

Sorry to dredge up a fossil of a thread like this, but I thought it better to ask in this thread than to start a new one. In any case, here is what I was wondering about:
Recently, while browsing around YouTube, I came across this video, which appears to be an advertising/opening movie for a PS2 version of Kazoku Keikaku. I was curious if anyone here knew what the differences were between this version and the PC version (besides the fact that the PS2 version almost certainly doesn’t have any ero scenes). Judging by the movie, there appears to be a new character (or character in the original game who now has a[n] ending[s]), which, due to the many threads I’ve read, I take is something that is a common occurrence in games that make the leap from PC to console. Due to the stylized nature of the text in the movie (not to mention the not so great quality of the movie itself), I’m not certain about her name. To me it looks like the furigana read ??? ?? (Hisami Kei, or, using western name order, Kei Hisami). (For those wanting to skip right to shots of her, she appears in the girls group shot [~0:35], sitting next to what I’m guessing is the protagonist [~1:31-1:35], and is the last character shown in the quick flashes of the characters [~2:00].)
UPDATE (even though I haven’t even finished writing this post): I’ve now found information online concretely stating that the PS2 version (named Kazoku Keikaku: Kokoro no Kizuna) has an added character with a new ending. Is there anything else you guys can tell me?

Hisami Kei is indeed a new character with a ‘route’*, and only in the PS2 version. She doesn’t appear in the DVDPG version or any other versions of Kazoku Keikaku.

*as you probably know, characters in Kazoku Keikaku don’t really have normal ‘routes’; they’re more intertwined with the rest of the story before finally branching off - think Yukizakura, I guess.

sounds like a good game
i might have to buy it after waltz

Given how you say that the stories of all the characters are deeply interwoven until a certain point in the game, similar to Yukizakura, I’m curious if you know how they managed to shoehorn in a new character? Also, given what I have read so far about the game and how all of the characters have serious issues (e.g. the J-List description of the character Masumi describes her as “bipolar and insecure”), I am curious about this new character’s problem(s).

Don’t have a clue, I’m afraid. I don’t have a PS2 so I don’t get PS2 ports of games. I don’t think she could have been just woven into the plot… however, as she isn’t actually a part of the family project, she might have more of a separate story than the others.

But yeah, you’ll notice that heroines having deep-seated emotional/psychological issues is a recurring theme of Tanaka Romeo’s - something he’s been doing since the start of his scenario writing, basically. Given that he’s still listed as the sole scenario writer for the PS2 release, I doubt the character is insignificant at all.

Pity they didn’t decide to add her to the DVDPG release, but then again, DVDPG is a horrible format and I probably would have been reluctant to get it in that format anyway.

The psychological issues in his scenario writing is probably one of the biggest factors for why I like all the games he has written for that I have played so far. I look forward to the day that I am far enough in to my learning of Japanese that I can play the games that haven’t been translated. Seeing as how the sentences I know how to form are still fairly simple, it will probably be a year or few before I attempt such a thing. For anyone who cares (and understands), here are a few of the most complicated sentences I can form (sorry for mostly kana writing, I know very few kanji):
???(Which do you prefer, tsundere or yandere?)
???D&D???(Every other week [lit. once every two weeks] on Saturday I usually play D&D at a friend’s house.)
I’m not certain the second sentence is 100% correct, as it really stretches the limits of my current ability.

I’d say you’re far more than a year or two away unless you study like crazy, are fine with looking up pretty much every word in the game or don’t care if you don’t understand most of it. :stuck_out_tongue: And yes, your second sentence is grammatically incorrect.

Of course, there are some people who try to translate without much more experience than you. Those people scare me.

People like that are the reason my professional translator friend says pretty much all fansubs suck. He’s like “there have been times where literally the whole thing is wrong, other than basic stuff like “hai””.

This alone is going to be a huge problem for you. I’m not all that far beyond where you’re at, but I know … probably more accurate to say close to 50 kanji, though I’m supposed to have memorized double that. :stuck_out_tongue: And I’m nowhere near ready to try even a PC game with benefit of AGTH. It’s just not plausible.

Well, I did say “a year or few”, indicating approximately one to four years. :stuck_out_tongue:

I was afraid of that. I’m a bit out of practice. :oops: (More on this later in the post.)

Before May 11 of next year (last day of classes for spring semester) I have to be able to read this bit taken from the very end of the last chapter of the textbook (red parentheses will be used since the board can’t display furigana):

At this point in the book, we are expected to have down 75 characters, plus be getting down the last 15 characters in the last chapter, for a total of 90 during the final exam of the semester. If it weren’t for self-study I wouldn’t know any characters at this point, since the two semesters I took at my last community college were essentially “Japanese Light” (to use a food term). (The official names of the courses were Conversational Japanese I and II.) While we got through eight of the twelve chapters, we didn’t go exactly at the book’s pace. For instance, while we got through Chapter Four in the first level class, and katakana is covered in what the book calls Chapter 3.5, we weren’t required to start learning it until the beginning of the second level class. (Personally, I made it a priority to have down katakana before the end of winter break last year, something I easily accomplished.) Similarly, the first 15 characters are introduced in Chapter Seven (and a further 14 in Chapter Eight), but they weren’t covered in class. Thankfully, at the community college I will be going to next semester (I was supposed to be going this semester, but Japanese II was canceled because there were only four students including me, which is why I’m a bit rusty), its a five credit-hour course instead of three, so no “Japanese Light” this time. (Thankfully, its the same textbook I was using before, and I’ll have two chapters review to get back up to speed.) After that though, Japanese III and IV are only three credit hour (and then I’ll have to find yet another place to continue advancing).

That is a bit of a soft beginning. 3 hours instead of 5 hurts the rate of learning, but if you can’t keep up, then you become lost that much faster.

When I first tried to learn Japanese, I couldn’t learn the hiragana fast enough for the first test. I was still an undergraduate, and didn’t want to get my butt kicked by something that was purely an elective, so I dropped. (I didn’t have nearly as much exposure to stuff like anime then, either.)

Much later, I decided to try again – being the only thing on my plate (well, aside from my full-time job) makes it a LOT easier. I discovered I only really have so much capacity for learning new things, and Japanese took a lot out of that capacity.

Once you dig out from under the early stuff at the beginning, you start to be able to pick up a LOT of stuff used in anime and so forth. My recommendation is to pick up watching anime. It helps.

You bring up a good point regarding how much you can focus on the subject. I suppose that the fact that Japanese is the only class I’m taking (I’m not going for a degree… yet) may have been a factor in my being at the top of my class. On the other hand, the guy I borrowed Tsukihime from also was only taking Japanese and no other classes and he didn’t do very well, while another friend from class who had a full schedule (including taking Spanish as well) was second in the class right behind me. So natural language aptitude is also a factor.

I had a slight advantage when I started learning Japanese by virtue of already knowing hiragana, katakana and a handful of kanji from primary (elementary)-school Japanese, and I’ve got a pretty good photographic memory for that sort of thing. (so despite several years between doing any Japanese whatsoever, I still recalled everything perfectly)

My knowledge of the language is still extremely incomplete, owing to not having learned the language formally (outside primary school), and while I’d like to take some classes to fill in the gaps in my knowledge, I simply haven’t got the time.

you might want to try and find a copy of rosetta stone japanese

cry I’m never going to see an English game version of Remember 11 and Never7, am I?

I loved Ever17, despite the poor translation.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to Family Project too.