Text censorship in eroge

Why?

After seeing your post, I went through some sites to see if any legislation or rating council rulings were made, concerning text (and audio) censorship. There weren’t any - at least not since the early 1990’s.

That was done voluntarily. I can only assume the people in charge of the company, felt it was better to just censor “chin chin” in the new version. It’s a pretty common word to censor, so they probably just did it to not stand out and/or as standard practice. Everyone seems to be doing what they can to stealth themselves and keep off the radar.

The real reason behind censoring audio and text is the same reason they censor genitals. To actually say something is a dick is a give away that it’s a dick and you’re not supposed to give it away.

What am I looking at here?

Since you apparently can’t even read hiragana, I’ll explain. In the first picture, the Japanese word for Penis (chinchin) is completely displayed. In the second picture, the second occurrence of the hiragana character “chi” in the word is replaced with a circle.

It appears to vary from company to company though. I’ve got quite a few eroge that don’t censor the word, and of course quite a few that do.

I think the audio/text censoring isn’t (or maybe wasn’t with all the new changes) as mandatory like the visual graphics.

:roll: Forgive me for only knowing my native tongue.

You’re looking at the version of Shizuku that came with Kizuato, Leaf’s latest VN, currently being compared to the text in the 1996 version. If it bothers you guys that much, there’s always the 2004 DVD version, which includes…of all people, the voice actor from Zeta Gundam protagonist Kamille Bidan.

I’m not saying that you should go out and learn Japanese if you have no desire to learn it. All I’m saying is that you should at least consider learning hiragana and katakana if you are serious at all about this hobby, especially since you are taking on untranslated titles! You don’t necessarily need to learn a language to learn how to read a type of script. For instance, lots of people don’t know Greek, but can look at Greek letters and tell you what the letters are. Kana is even easier than that, since the name of the character is how it is pronounced. (There is a tiny bit more to it than that, such as geminate consonants, glottal stops, and glides. However, don’t let my language geek terminology scare you, as those fancy terms are actually simple things.) As I’m fairly certain most of the others who can read at least kana can attest, it really doesn’t take that much time and effort to learn them. Kanji on the other hand is a whole other beast…

2009 shizuku is supposed to be exactly the same as 2004 shizuku, except for the copyright notice on the title screen being 2009, instead of 2004 =p

Learning kana takes several days of study. It’s the easiest task you can set for yourself in studying Japanese, but it’s by no means “easy.” And well, knowing kana alone won’t do you much good. You won’t even recognize English words without some basic knowledge of the phonetics of the language and a good deal of practice. Personally, the most use I’ve gotten out of kana knowledge in isolation was the ability to read special move names in RPGs. 50% of the time they’re English words in kana-and more importantly, they tend not to hook with programs like AGTH.

Learning other languages can be rewarding if you have the patience and the motivation. Learning kana however is just a stepping stone to learning Japanese; it holds little value as an end in itself.

Hey, someone on the staff must have been enough of a Gundam fan to hire Kamille’s voice actor. After all Tatsuya’s psychic powers…not that far off from Kamille being a Newtype. This actually spawned a bunch of Zeta Gundam gag dubs where Kamille’s dialogue is replaced by Tatsuya’s whole “heheheh…sex…sex, everyone keep having sex!” speech.

My mind simply refuses to process other languages, spoken or written. Well, that’s not true… I can remember a few spoken key and Romanized key words.

Unfortunately, the older you get, the harder it is to learn another language. I had the good fortune of taking Japanese in college for 3 years. Although I am not fluent, with help of dictionary tools, I can pretty much translate anything.

I’m 21, so I wouldn’t say age is a factor, I just simply can’t process it.

You’re free to think what you want, and maybe you have some bizarre mental handicap, but I find this highly doubtful. If you went to Japan and were forced to live there for 10 years, you would learn. (Spoken) language acquisition is hard wired into the human mind (I’d argue by evolution, but let’s not go down the path). Language acquisition in an academic environment is just incredibly inefficient compared to language acquisition in a natural setting (although it sure beats self study). Sadly, there’s not much of an alternative for the majority of us.

I strongly disagree with that, and I actually think self study is by far the best option if you want to play untranslated eroges. After 8 months or so I was able to start playing some of the easier untranslated eroges, and after 18 months, I was able to finish Mugen Kairou 2 in a bit over 20 hours, with very minimal use of a dictionary. At this stage my reading and listening skills are far ahead of my writing and speaking abilities, but I’d suggest that those are much easier to pick up once you can comprehend Japanese. The method I used/am using for studying is pretty much what’s detailed here.

Where? I just see something about being motivated, which obviously one needs to be.

Here, particularly sections 2 and 4, although I found that not everything he suggests works for me. The two most important study tools (besides eroges etc.) that have helped me are Heisig’s Remembering the Kanji, and Japanese-Japanese dictionaries. I’ve found that what Heisig covers is only a starting point, as there are still a lot of (reasonably) common kanji that get used outside the 3007 he covers, but it’s very easy to memorise them after going through that method.

I have heard bleeps during sex scenes in Crtical Point, Snow Sakura, and the Gore Screaming Show demo. But there wasent any in i’m Going To Serve You 4