The Baldur's Gate topic

Everywhere I go it seems I’m the only one who didn’t like ME. :slight_smile:

The main thing I missed was the good/evil system. Like in BG, Neverwinter, KoTOR and Jade Empire.

And personally I don’t like third person shooters. And I think the story was short.

But don’t worry. I will give Dragon Age a chance.
The main reasons I like Bethesda better is that I loved Daggerfall and Oblivion (I didn’t like Morrowind), and they are developping FO3!

What game (series) from this list would you choose?

Baldur’s Gate
Icewind Dale
Planescape Torment
Neverwinter Nights
KotOR
Jade Empire
Mass Effect
Fallout
Elder Scrolls

My top 3:

1. Fallout
  2. Baldur’s Gate
  3. Elder Scroll’s

Planescape: Torment. No question.

Esp. when you have high Wisdom, Int and Char. 8)

Arrrggghh! Wrote a long response and the internet ate it!

So, the short version: Planescape Torment hands down - be sure to spend points in intelligence and wisdom in that game though, you’ll have more fun.

NWN is a great game, while the initial campaign was awful the hundreds of mods available make up for it. Closest you’ll currently come to reliving the BG experience.

If you’ve never tried it, play BG2 sometime without reloading unless you die … otherwise don’t reload to get around bad decisions and only raise npcs if you actually have the means. Makes for a very exciting experience.

Wish I could have romanced Imoen, the mod wouldn’t work for me - some compatability problem.

rackinfrackin …

Honestly, I wasn’t very impressed with the Imoen romance mod’s quality. It just wasn’t polished up enough in my opinion, and it’s obvious in parts. There was another Imoen mod that was intended at one point, but the mod’s other had been and is currently working on a new game that has a similar game design as the BG series with some other modders called the Broken Hourglass.

I have a feeling that fans will blame EA for anything they dislike about Bioware’s current and future output.

However, it’s Bioware that’s been changing on its own initiative. The owners are very commercial-oriented (and among the most savvy businessmen in this industry), so they naturally gravitate toward what sells. I think Jade Empire and Mass Effect are great representations of the company’s current ideals - accessible, big-budget games that emphasize cinematic storytelling. The transition isn’t too different from what Square went through during the mid-90s, although the latter still released a few hardcore RPGs.

That would be expecting too much. Dragon Age builds on the fantasy setting and overhead combat of Baldur’s Gate (while the exploration and cinematic elements build on Knights of the Old Republic). However, the developers have already stated that it’s impossible to build a game with the same scope/scale as the BG series. With cutting edge visuals and flashy storytelling, there’s only so much content they can feasibly make.

I hope Dragon Age has the same stats like BG, Planescape, Neverwinter, etc.

You know, Str, Int, Cha, etc.

I really missed that in JE and ME. If you raised your Int Wis and Char in PT, you could have great conversations.

Okay, from now I’m going to start writing my stuff in wordpad or something. [guess what happened]

Anyways, Summary : Morrowind and Baldur’s Gate games rock.

Why? … Mods.
That’s what keeps me coming back to these old games, instead of playing newer ones.

Morrowind mods examples :
DNDT - Darknuts’s Greater Dwemer Ruins Volume 1 - Turns the ordinary repetitive main quest dungeons into :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUy6RenrYuc

WIP - Vality’s Bitter Coast - Rainforest
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtWeBVRAjvg

Connary Texture mods
http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/V … g&id=29044
example : http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/f … p?id=52664

LGNPC mods - “The Less Generic NPC project, or LGNPC for short is a mod that aims to replace all the repetitive Morrowind dialogue with more interesting and engaging conversations.”
http://lgnpc.sabregirl.com/

High-res photo-sourced texture for Better Bodies
http://canadianice.ufrealms.net/forum2/ … ic=6980.15

There are thousands and thousands of mods out there, I only use about 400?

Baldur’s Gate mods examples :
BG1NPC - Does what BG2 does. But for BG1. Adds complete romances, dialogues, interaction like in BG2.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y133/X … bd2112.jpg

Baldur’s Gate Trilogy or tutu - These mega mods allow BG1 to be played on BG2, which paved the way for new mods and creations.

Imoen Romance was mentioned. I loved that mod because of the incredible amount of dialogue choices you had, not to mention the author made it interesting…
Example : I begin a dialogue with Imoen while she’s deep in thought in a serene scene. She doesn’t notice me approach, do I … walk up to her and say what are you thinking about? Do I just walk up next to her and look at what she’s staring at? Do you quietly sneak up next to her until you are in earshot distance and scream… “IMOEN WE ARE UNDER ATTACK!!!” … lol or do you throw a ROCK at her HEAD, causing bad things to happen to her. …
Now that’s what I call choices! I think because of mods like this it was only natural that later on I became interested in Visual Novels…

Oh and did I mention there’s a mod specifically for widescreen resolutions for BG2?

There are hundreds and hundreds of mods for BG games, I use about 20.
(I had a lot more examples to share, but remember, never click on a link accidently, you’ll lose all that you have written [back doesn’t work])

:shock: God I wanted to face palm myself there for a second.

You see, I played Morrowind. In fact, saying that I played Morrowind is an understatement. I breathed Morrowind, It was a breathe of sunder and keening within an ash storm filled with blight and a heart more impenetrable than Deadric. I remember playing it, that first time when I popped it in the computer and it was a type of energy that I have yet to see again. You have to love how the game just throws you into the wild battle ridden and plague infested world of Morrowind. It was like mountains and deserts, odd catacombs and caves and storms and the music. I still have the music saved on my computer, the carefully orchestrated pieces. They throw you in, no remorse. Your character no matter what, SUCKS at everything. I almost got my ass kicked by a rat and an old woman and it stayed like that for a good course of the beginning. You are told NOTHING at all, they give you one little errand where you have to deliver a letter as a small favor and the guy pays you saying that your in on their secret little Blades club but he tells you next to nothing. Once it starts rolling its off, you don’t even have to do it and yet the story keeps you wanting to find out why Morrowind is like it is and once you start finding out about the Nerevar and Dagoth Ur you know you have to finish it up. I hadn’t even noticed how into it I was, It just came out of nowhere and that’s when you get that sense of accomplishment of “Wow” I beat the system you know? The game seriously keeps noobs down and once you start racking up the money and the missions you get in on everything and it gets incredibly easy.

That’s not even the icing, you eventually become like a god. I could go on but I need to cut this short, point is I still dream of Morrowind and hear the games sounds. I am probably one of the only true Morrowind fans left, I recognize all the quotes and references even after 2 years of not touching the game. Oblivion, sadly to say after all the hype left many of us Morrowind men colder than Hiricine after we broke his house (lol he had a temporary glacier house). Well, wind be on your back outlander.

Anyone play The Witcher? I thought it was really good, and they really chose a good story to makes games from. Geralt, despite being kind of emotionless at times, has a very intriguing backstory. I have high hopes for a sequel too.

The load times in the witcher were agonizing - I could have gone to get a coke and burger in the time it took to save or reload - but the story is interesting and the characters all cool … plus, you get to start a relationship with either of two interesting women. (not that Geralt isn’t shagging everything with two legs well before that)

The choices you make do effect the storyline in different ways, some huge, some small, but from what I gather either way the end is the same.

Plus, if you don’t make the right choices about powers you can do well throughout most of the game only to find yourself screwed in the last couple boss fights.

But with cinematic cut scenes and cut away conversations similar to the style used in Knights of the Old Republic, this game is well worth recommending. I played it all the way through despite the century long lags, that’s how good it is. (I heard a couple weeks after release they put out a patch to fix some of the lag issue, but by then I was almost done with the game and didn’t want to risk the patch screwing it up - that happens sometimes)

Witcher has a lot of promise, the alchemy system wasn’t all that difficult to master so one can move up on the difficulty fairly easy due to the forgiving learning curve, specially for anyone used to these rpgs.

Speaking of RPGs, anyone here still play NeverWinterNights 2 + Mask of the Betrayer anymore? Like maybe even online? Seeing all of the involvement in this topic makes me believe a good old fashion Role playing game is in order, with all the P.P. BBS members available as participants. Perhaps it is time.

—ANNUAL P.P. BBS RPG Run----------

I can see it already, I wouldn’t mind hosting something like that unless someone else wants to be dungeon master. If anyone knows a good mod we can play that allows for large parties then put it here and everyone with NWN2 can just download it and join the server on the day of the event. Maybe give it a name we can all recognize and a password to be put up here or by the host through PM’s.

On a final note, if you all can pull this through we might want to maybe a list on who’s using what class. We want everyone to be at least different in one thing be it class or race or separate specialties like equipment. No hacked characters of course but any level is welcome ( 30 recommended ) and any custom made equipment ( I actually made equipment in the NWN2 editor ).

I call dibs on Warlock. 8)

Curses, my plans are folied!
I wanted to throw in my 20 warlock/5 blackguard/5 cleric, aasimar, lawfull evil, shota into the fray…
Fuck yeah, epic levels…

Rorokenu,

Try Daggerfall! 8)

Witcher is a great game.

NWN2 is a great game. But I don’t like MotB. I think MotB was unbalanced.