The Edelweiss thread of re-release (and fixed?) goodness

Since all the JAST games have their own threads, I thought about trying a GAF-style thread for major game releases. The point is to hopefully facilitate talking about the game since people may not feel comfortable starting their own threads for every little issue or comment. And yes, I was too lazy to include actual images in the post. Maybe later. :stuck_out_tongue:

Name
Edelweiss
???

Price
25 Euro

Developer
Overdrive

English Publisher
Mangagamer

Release Date
September 20, 2008 (re-release)

Genre(s)
Comedy, Not a sexromp

Description (shamelessly ripped from MG)

Websites
Official (Japanese)
Mangagamer
Galge (Japanese) - lots of pictures

Videos
OP (Japanese)

Reviews
encubed (first impressions)

Walkthrough
Here

Has anyone downloaded the re-released version yet? My download still has 3 hours to go. I donā€™t have much time to test it, though.

Too bad this board seems to lack a good :crying: emoticon, because this would be the perfect place to use it.

That ā€œdescriptionā€ certainly does not bode well ā€¦

Be thankful that it doesnā€™t reflect the game. In short, donā€™t let it discourage you. The stuff about the island etc. is all true, but itā€™s not a sexromp.

Does this make you happy? :stuck_out_tongue:

No, because Guess how hard you study if the good GPA can take you to the sex paradise. is still poorly-written English that almost reads like it was mechanically translated.

Sorry, I was actually replying to Lancer-X. I shouldā€™ve deleted your quote.

So I got this email from them about an hour ago:

About 35 minutes until my download finishesā€¦

Okay, I tried a little bit of it, which was a little bit of the beginning. It seems like they fixed the spelling errors, but they havenā€™t touched the grammar errors. Theyā€™re still missing a lot of particles, and the sentences still sound really awkward.

Time to download the new releaseā€¦ I downloaded it earlier today, but wasnā€™t sure if that was the final release. What I did download had differences in the executable, the visual novel engine, the scripts (obviously) and the voice files (which are now 64kbps Ogg vorbis instead of 96kbps, saving about 250MB in the process). From a cursory look at what I had downloaded, the script seemed to have corrected a few things in terms of grammar and spelling, but they still have ā€œAppo-ā€ XD

If you want to potentially save time, my copy of Edelweiss.zip is 1,342,350,342 bytes.

Hashes are:
MD5: 01FFCA94A986A47FA0C7093806877A77
SHA-1: 9F90529A18EEEBDA630BE48227E13EC48DB521A9

Mehā€¦ Iā€™m slow like a turtle :frowning:

<ā€” Just get back to home from work (itā€™s noon here), so i didnā€™t even get my hands on Edelweiss. Still, i seem to gave my hope a little bit far, just its translation being anywhere near MSSIAC and iā€™m satisfied :smiley:

From what I saw in the demo, itā€™s not even close. Donā€™t expect major changes in the Edelweiss script. It seemed like they basically ran spellcheck and fixed only those lines.

Hereā€™s my writeup: http://novelnews.net/2008/09/20/mangaga ā€¦ edelweiss/
The tl;dr version:

• No patch
  • Fixes some script errors but not others
  • Smaller total download
    Well, at least the download was fast; itā€™s great being able to pull 1.5MB/s off their download server. I wonder how they do itā€¦

Where do you liveā€¦? I could only pull 50-120 KB/s, which isnā€™t close to maxing my connection. Their server is in the Netherlands, and it routes through crappy Cogent here. I canā€™t imagine getting good speeds.

Maybe getting the re-release edition wasnā€™t a good idea after all :stuck_out_tongue:

Ya know, im not so discouraged by the bad english in the gameā€¦ just glad to see another company take a shot at the english market, and if we want to see games continue to come they need our support.
I remember a game a while back, it was indeed translated into englishā€¦ it was more of a story, not a gameā€¦ (i cant remember the name of it, but i bought it after someone on this board mentioned how good the story was) anyway, the translation was so bad you literally had to stop the story, and re-read the sentance like 10 times to understand what was just said.

Anyway i missed the download on the 10th, so as soon as i got home from work i made sure to buy Edelweiss, as ive wanted it for about a month now, yes some of the sentances are wierd, but i can tell they are slowly getting better with the translations since i first bought ā€œWhich girl should i chooseā€.
And since i dont speak or read japanese like some of the people on this board, ill take what i can get for now.

Hmmā€¦ I wonder what game this guy is mentioning? Any idea?

Ginā€™iro? :lol: