The Story Writers Oughta be Shot (Spoilers)

quote:
Originally posted by Wolfson:
Just FYI, Unicorn, Darkling's fanfics contain no spoilers for any endings other than ending 1.

That's the point: I am still missing ending#1 and ending#6.
So, it apparently will take a bit longer until I can join the petition for the omake-story... and release the yellows! [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

quote:
Originally posted by Darkling:
[b]**POTENTIAL SPOILERS FOR THREE SISTERS' STORY**

I've played Runaway City, but must have blocked it from my conscious mind. After playing games which I enjoyed far more (Three Sisters' Story being among them), Runaway City just made me go 'eh'.

I guess because those two games were 'plot' driven (and I use the term loosely), it would have made it too complicated (or lengthy) to allow you your choice of girl. Giving you enough time to develop a relationship with the other two sisters (in 3SS) would have been time-consuming. As it was, they didn't really develop the PC's relationship with Emi! They just force it on you.

Then again, these games aren't dating sims. They are story based. Maybe we've gotten spoiled since then?[/b]

Spoilers

But in Runaway City you did kind of develop a relationship with some of the characters, Rin I think was at least one other that might have been plausable, so at least it might have been possible to choose between two girls right?

SPOILER WARNING

LOL, yes… Rin. I guess she was a possibility, but I got a little put off how much she wanted to play with my joystick (and I don’t even mean that figuratively!).

END SPOILERS (such as they were)

Might be spoilers so I’ll post a warning just in case

I actually rather liked the plot of Three Sisters Story. The plot of Runaway City had potential–I think the thing that frustrated me was that there was a very specific combination of commands that you had to follow at the very end of the game to get the correct ending.

Actually, I guess the truth of the matter is that in most plot-driven games, the girl you get in the end is pretty much pre-determined. Sometimes that’s okay… In Kana, I didn’t mind the possibility of ending up with Yumi after Kana died. But sometimes, they assume that this is the girl you’re going to like.

Personally, I don’t like the ones that are pushy and willing to take a punch at you for the slightest provocation. At least, in the case of Ryoko, in Tenchi Muyo, she’s not a predetermined outcome for Tenchi… Actually, in the OAV, I rather suspect that Sasami is a more likely candidate–once she gets older.

It would be interesting to see more plot driven games with alternate outcomes. I think this is one thing that made Crescendo very good–technically it’s a romance game, but at least it had a lot of story line. And although it’s not necessarily a super game, Critical Point is good in that it is a plot driven story with multiple outcomes, and no clearly chosen girl for you to wind up the game with.

quote:
Originally posted by Unicorn:
So, it apparently will take a bit longer until I can join the petition for the omake-story… and release the yellows!

Darkling actually has a hidden link to the omake, and you’ll probably be too busy busting a gut to let loose the lemons of war…

[This message has been edited by Wolfson (edited 08-02-2004).]

I also liked the plot of Three Sisters’ Story, but I’ll be damned if I can tell you what the heck Runaway City was about.

Three Sisters’ Story had tragedy and pathos - and hey, I like both of those. It also had a lot of pointless wandering around the school grounds looking for Emi (and random schoolgirls to ahem, ‘help’), which I wasn’t quite so positive about. Can’t Emi just stay in one freaking place for a change? Or is she in cahoots with the nurse?

Spoiling Again

To refresh you memory about Runaway City, it’s about the kid who has incredible luck, but doesn’t know what to do with his life. His family tried to commit mass suicide, but for some reason, only his mother managed to do it right, so his father built a successful video game manufacturing company instead (partially due to asking the protagonists advice, which was always good, because–hey–he’s lucky).

He spends the first couple of days wandering around with a lot of angst about what to do with his life, but that doesn’t stop him from the occasional random act of sex when it comes up. But one of his random acts, Kana, is a junior psychologist, and tells him he ought to try helping people (because–hey–he’s lucky).

So, with a sudden vigor due to having a purpose in life, he sets about searching out people to help, which leads to more random acts of sex. However, he finds that the women that he has sex with have the unnerving habit of suddenly altering their personalities to become exactly the type of women he wants them to be (because–hey–he’s lucky).

This leads to such a serious bout of angst that he stays in bed for a couple of weeks, until the girl he’s destined to be with (who’s been helping him and yelling at him alternately) comes to him and tells him that she thinks he’s somehow connected to the god tree, and they decide to go underground to where the remains of the tree are and do something about his luck.

They find the tree, which tells him that it saved his life, lo, those many years ago, and furthermore says that by removing his power, he might die. Oh well, seems like the thing to do in order to end the game, so what ensues is a surreal dream sequence that ninety-nine times out of one-hundred leads to losing the game.

Despite my sarcasm, I actually kind of liked it.

As far as Three Sisters Story goes, I think you get to “help” those poor girls just so that there are other H-scenes than with the sisters in order to avoid the bad ending…

quote:
*Might be spoilers so I'll post a warning just in case*
Actually, in the OAV, I rather suspect that Sasami is a more likely candidate--once she gets older.

PLOT/CHARACTER SPOILERS

You know I think this too, around the time she grows up and looks like Tsunami, who is Sasami's adult image, she will officially be his "choosen one" but it's been hard finding someone else that thinks this is a chance, most of those others I talk to say either Ryoko or Ayeka.

quote:
Originally posted by Darkling:
Can't Emi just stay in one freaking place for a change? Or is she in cahoots with the nurse?

Spoilers

Can you imagine that conversation though between the school nurse and Emi?
"Hey Emi, would you let your boyfriend have sex with three or four other women, then me, the school nurse. It'll be a big help to those girls and help me reach my own goal. You would? Great then vanish each day after school or willingly wait in the classroom and don't follow him thanks". [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 08-03-2004).]

SPOILER WARNING (Three Sisters’ Story)

There’s the magic of the save function. I can go back to the end of that first day as many times as I like, go up to Yuki’s room and agree to her request. And then just restore to that save game again and say ‘no’, as wrenching as it is. Poor oneechan.

LOL, and I can predict Emi’s reaction to that conversation: “Sure, if it means I get to thwack him around some! Any excuse will do!”

[This message has been edited by Darkling (edited 08-04-2004).]

quote:
Originally posted by SCDawg:
Spoilers

Can you imagine that conversation though between the school nurse and Emi?
"Hey Emi, would you let your boyfriend have sex with three or four other women, then me, the school nurse. It'll be a big help to those girls and help me reach my own goal. You would? Great then vanish each day after school or willingly wait in the classroom and don't follow him thanks". [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

* Continued spoilers
Apparently, that was the real reason, why the nurse-office was closed so many times:
The nurse was busy healing herself from the results of this question. She didn't want to be seen in her sorry, Emi left her in... [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img] [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/tongue.gif[/img] [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by Unicorn (edited 08-04-2004).]

The Usual Spoiler Message

quote:
You know I think this too, around the time she grows up and looks like Tsunami, who is Sasami’s adult image, she will officially be his “choosen one” but it’s been hard finding someone else that thinks this is a chance, most of those others I talk to say either Ryoko or Ayeka.

What? Are people blind? Even Ryoko and Ayeka are worried about Sasami given that she’s going to look like Tsunami. And Sasami is the only one of the three that is already forging a friendly and close relationship with Tenchi–she talks to him in a casual manner, she cuddles with him… heck, she even curls up and goes to sleep on/with him. Neither Ryoko nor Ayeka have even approached that point.

quote:
Originally posted by Unicorn:
Apparently, that was the real reason, why the nurse-office was closed so many times:
The nurse was busy healing herself from the results of this question. She didn’t want to be seen in her sorry, Emi left her in…

There’s one mystery solved… that apparently means–given that the nurse’s office was closed on different days–that the nurse actually called Emi in on successive days and asked her if her boyfriend could help this other girl that she had in mind…

quote:
*The Usual Spoiler Message*

What? Are people blind? Even Ryoko and Ayeka are worried about Sasami given that she's going to look like Tsunami. And Sasami is the only one of the three that is already forging a friendly and close relationship with Tenchi--she talks to him in a casual manner, she cuddles with him... heck, she even curls up and goes to sleep on/with him. Neither Ryoko nor Ayeka have even approached that point.

Er...
In the English Tenchi I've seen, I agree that he is pathed for Sussumi. Hey, her other half, Tsunami, always follows his orders instantly. Hint hint. She and he get along well, blah blah blah.

However, in that same series, at the end of it, it's Ryoko that he's constantly worrying about, and who is sneaking into his bed, stalking him, etc etc etc. He's close to suicidal until she returns at the end. However, that may be a good thing... Tenchi won't ever see Sasami at near puberty unless he's bound to his own great tree, right? That's the source of their immortality, isn't it?

Been a little while since I seen the series...

[This message has been edited by Darkstar (edited 08-05-2004).]

quote:
Originally posted by Darkstar:
Er...
However, in that same series, at the end of it, it's Ryoko that he's constantly worrying about, and who is sneaking into his bed, stalking him, etc etc etc. He's close to suicidal until she returns at the end. However, that may be a good thing... Tenchi won't ever see Sasami at near puberty unless he's bound to his own great tree, right? That's the source of their immortality, isn't it?

Anime SPOILERS for Tenchi Muyo

I think this part is not from the OVA [edit] but the other sort of alternate universe take on the characters how they meet and everything, which was Tenchi Universe by title. Even there it is not clear since if I remember right, Tenchi and Sasami feed each other on occasion and while Ayeka and Ryoko are fighting Tenchi is freed by Sasami a few times. Yeah people point to the ending and say different but even there I stick to Sasami.

However in my mind there is no doubt it is Sasami in the OVA. Last episode in English from the OVA you see Sasami rather embarassingly introducing her mother to Tenchi and I believe stating to her father something along the lines of (sweetly said) "I would like to stay with him" (glaring with threat in her voice) "If you force me to leave I will hate you" or something to that effect.

Not sure about the 3rd OVA yet, only heard rumors about how that could end.

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 08-05-2004).]

TENCHI MUYO Spoilers

quote:
Tenchi won’t ever see Sasami at near puberty unless he’s bound to his own great tree, right? That’s the source of their immortality, isn’t it?

You’d think so. But here’s the rub… Ryoko and Ayeka (who might have an even better idea of how things work) are both worried about the potential threat that Sasami/Tsunami poses when she gets older. And more to the point, Ayeka’s father (who really ought to have an idea of how things work) seems to see Tenchi as a threat. If Tenchi were going to live a mere 60 to 100 years, what possible threat could he be to people who live for millenia? I think that Tenchi holds the power of the life trees within him–ergo his ability to do things like summon the lighthawk wings. And Lady Tokemi’s interest in him. Therefore, it’s not unreasonable to assume that he will live a long life, and see Sasami reach a point where she is the beauty that Ryoko and Ayeka fear.

quote:
Last episode in English from the OVA you see Sasami rather embarassingly introducing her mother to Tenchi and I believe stating to her father something along the lines of (sweetly said) “I would like to stay with him” (glaring with threat in her voice) “If you force me to leave I will hate you” or something to that effect.

Which is a good indicator of how Sasami feels about Tenchi already… just wait until the hormones kick in…

TENCHI MUYO Spoilers

Sorry… I wasn’t sure it was needed.

Are you confusing Tenchis? Or am I? AIR, in the first series, both Sasami and Ayeka make it clear to their father they will kill him or themselves trying if he commands them to leave Tenchi, er, Earth.

And while I agree that Sasami and he have the most er… comfortable and normal relating, that is meaningless in the world of anime. Usually the girl the constantly knocks the snot out of the guy and totally dominates him gets him. Especially if she’s his half/step sister/step mom, or aunt.

Now… the trees don’t have the materialization power. That is unique to the royal bloodline, and then, it’s rare. They say that repeatily. No implication that because Tenchi has the strongest Royal ability ever known (other then maybe in ancient legend), that he will live long. AIR, there is actually one episode where Ryoko and Ayeka cut a deal to get him a tree at the earliest possible time so that he won’t die “in an instant”, like humans do. Although… hmm… it is mentioned the the trees were made to mimic several of the Holy Powers of the Blood. And since when were anime series consistant?

But, as I said, it’s been several years. So I might be confusing elements and having complete memory failure. I really need to see the series again.

Tenchi Universe didn’t seem as interesting. And Tenchi in Love (where Sasumi is a mech pilot in her cabbit that turns into a mech, and all the Tenchi does ghostbusting - POORLY!), really just seemed off… a complete change of intended audience?

quote:
*TENCHI MUYO Spoilers*

Which is a good indicator of how Sasami feels about Tenchi already... just wait until the hormones kick in..

***TENCHI MUYO Spoilers***

Not sure if congratulations or sympathies would be in order for Tenchi on that day since even if she will be his choice for a time it will be three actively fighting for him.

Isn't he already bonded with Tsunami in a different way then Sasami but still already bonded since he is kind of "the Master Key" and it seems his power is in sync with hers, hence part of the reason he can create the "lighthawk wings"? Geez if that is the case Ayeka and Ryoko lost before the fight started.

quote:
*TENCHI MUYO Spoilers*

And while I agree that Sasami and he have the most er... comfortable and normal relating, that is meaningless in the world of anime. Usually the girl the constantly knocks the snot out of the guy and totally dominates him gets him. Especially if she's his half/step sister/step mom, or aunt.

Now... the trees don't have the materialization power. That is unique to the royal bloodline, and then, it's rare. They say that repeatily. No implication that because Tenchi has the strongest Royal ability ever known (other then maybe in ancient legend), that he will live long. AIR, there is actually one episode where Ryoko and Ayeka cut a deal to get him a tree at the earliest possible time so that he won't die "in an instant", like humans do. Although... hmm... it is mentioned the the trees were made to mimic several of the Holy Powers of the Blood. And since when were anime series consistant?

*TENCHI MUYO Spoilers*

I highly recommend you avoid Tenchi in Tokyo if you didn't like Universe since Tenchi in Tokyo tries to be more cartoon then a cartoon, to say it as nice as possible.

Ah but what about Ai Yori Aoshi the main female lead there is not one to kick the crap out of her love and yet it is no question she wins. I think in a similar light Sasami will win without beating up Tenchi.

As said in the other post I think Tenchi is kind of bonded with Tsunami in a way different then Sasami. Being the most powerful and progenator of all the other trees perhaps Tsunami can be bonded to more then one, especially if those two are very close and will be in the future. Remember Tenchi is kind of the "master key" and does create the "lighthawk wings" which to me at least means his power is in sync with Tsunami, so perhaps in a way bonded with her as Sasami is bonded.

More TENCHI Spoilers Ahead*

quote:
there is actually one episode where Ryoko and Ayeka cut a deal to get him a tree at the earliest possible time so that he won’t die “in an instant”, like humans do.

I think you’re actually drawing off of the Tenchi Universe series, which is different than the OAV, which is pretty much what SCDawg and I are referring to. Tenchi Universe and Tenchi in Tokyo are pretty much “watered down” versions of Tenchi Muyo, and are in many ways inconsistant with both themselves and the OAV. With the television series, it’s hard to say what the outcome might be, because they introduce many new elements, and leave out many elements of the OAV.

quote:
Remember Tenchi is kind of the “master key” and does create the “lighthawk wings” which to me at least means his power is in sync with Tsunami, so perhaps in a way bonded with her as Sasami is bonded.

I had forgotten about that, but Tenchi is already bonded with Tsunami because of the raid on the Soja. He wouldn’t be alive except that Tsunami gave him the power to live. The power to create the lighthawk wings, of course comes from within himself–Tsunami said as much–but Tenchi may now have the life expectancy of a Juraian simply because Tsunami has given a portion of herself to him. And, of course, that only makes his bond to Sasami even stronger…

quote:
More TENCHI Spoilers Ahead*

I had forgotten about that, but Tenchi is already bonded with Tsunami because of the raid on the Soja. He wouldn't be alive except that Tsunami gave him the power to live. The power to create the lighthawk wings, of course comes from within himself--Tsunami said as much--but Tenchi may now have the life expectancy of a Juraian simply because Tsunami has given a portion of herself to him. And, of course, that only makes his bond to Sasami even stronger...

Tenchi Muyo Spoilers

That is more or less what I was thinking, I had somewhat forgot she helped to "bring him back to life" but I remember her touching her forehead to him before helping him to get aboard the Soja, which is when I thought the link was finalized, and though he has his own power also made him sort of channel for her powers since, if I remember correctly, she cannot go everywhere he can so powerful or not she cannot intervene to the extent that he Tenchi could and did in the OVA.

One other thought about the final OVA in English, why was the King, and guy facing Tenchi, so confident the guy facing Tenchi would win? Did they forget he could create the lighthawk sword and wings? Off of the Sasami talk, but just came to mind as I remembered that final episode.

Still More TENCHI Spoilers

Yeah… Tenchi was blasted beyond what would be humanly possible to keep alive when the Soja destroyed the command compartment that Tenchi was in. Tsunami gave him life much in the same way as she saved Sasami. I’m not sure what the significance of that final forehead touch was… it was almost like a show of affection.

I thought about the same thing when the King’s chosen fiance for Ayeka was about to face Tenchi–“Jeesh… he theoreticaly could call on all those powers.” The problem is that he can’t control them, and maybe the King was counting on that. Or maybe the King just wasn’t fully aware of what Tenchi was capable of doing… I just don’t know. I only know that for some reason, he just doesn’t like Tenchi, even though he seems to hold Yoshi in some regard.

More TENCHI Talk/Possible Spoilers

Was it Universe? Whoopsie! It’s been a while since I saw it, so as I said earlier…

I thought the King’s main problem with Tenchi is that he is basically a bastard of the royal line. You know, a mudblood. He states he hates all humans (even though he’s married to one… that’s his “exception”). So, Tenchi is double breeding of human with the royal line… Add in Tenchi is the male Heir, well… that’s from what I remember. But no telling how jumbled things have gotten in the old noodle.