To People who Pirated Bishoujo Games on IRC

quote:
Originally posted by dco_chris:
That's the total opposite of where I live. Games are easy to take back to most places. Clothes are much harder unless they are defective.

[This message has been edited by dco_chris (edited 03-25-2004).]

Where do you live? I've wanted to return half my games and i've only returned 1 shirt ever.

I am not sure credit card companies fully know or care so long as you can pay. They keep sending my dogs offers for gold cards with a higher credit limit then I am offered. Once they find out they might take it away, but what 16 year old is going to be stupid enough to say they are 16 if someone offers them such a card? Okay that is fraud, but so is buying a game for 18 and up saying you are 19 when you are only 16.

Also depends where you are, in some states, such as where I am, I know that people as young as 16 can sign contracts dealing with jobs and money transactions from accounts with their name on it without parental approval.

As I said in another thread, you can ask your parents if you can use their credit card, theoretically making them the buyer, not you. It’s what I do, since I don’t have a credit card, since some years.

quote:
Originally posted by Jinnai:
Where do you live? I've wanted to return half my games and i've only returned 1 shirt ever.

Birmingham, UK. Most shops will take games back. Workers in some of them actually tell you to bring games back if you don't like them. There are a few shops that won't though.

quote:
Originally posted by dco_chris:
Birmingham, UK. Most shops will take games back. Workers in some of them actually tell you to bring games back if you don't like them. There are a few shops that won't though.

You gotta love Game and their 10 day return policy. Haven't used it much, though.

Shipping is pretty cheap to Europe - $7 from Jlist is very reasonable and Archonia are cheap too. And isn't there a store in Italy that sells bishojo games?

EDIT: Consoleland.it

[This message has been edited by Interzone (edited 03-26-2004).]

quote:
Originally posted by Benoit:
As I said in another thread, you can ask your parents if you can use their credit card, theoretically making them the buyer, not you. It's what I do, since I don't have a credit card, since some years.

However, without their consent that too is technically fraud, yet would not raise a flag I presume unless all card companies are as well they call it protective as to make sure the name on the billing and shipping address match that of the card or are registered with the company, at least that is the way the cards I have are in terms of orders online.

quote:
Originally posted by Sky:
I just wanted to tell you that i found at least 150 more or less complete copies of the Do you like horny bunnies 2 ISO on the net(Redeck sais hi...)...
This is really sad, becouse most of you didn't even get there legally ordered copies by now...
These are the moments i really feel ashamed for downloading some of these games...

At least you feel ashamed about it; that means you care enough to feel guilty. So long as you buy the games now, people here won't really judge you - most of us pirated once upon a time.

As for DYLAHB2 being pirated already, this is no great surprise. I will be willing to bet the game was posted to the newsgroups the same day that some of these pirates received it. Once it's been posted to a NG, it's out there and there's nothing you can do about it anymore.

quote:
Originally posted by Italicus:
A) you americans really believe Credit Cards are widespread? Heck, if you don't have a job here in Italy you can't even get a bank account!!! Just imagine for credit cards...
so just change your payment system, idiots!!!

I'm living in France and I've been regularly buying anime and manga from the USA and Japan even before the widespread of Internet and online credit card payment. If you want to pay a store, they'll find a way. So, don't joke me about how you can't pay overseas when you're from Europe, please.

quote:
B) Shipment costs from US are simply unbeliaveble!!! 83 euro for a game is too much!!!
Who are you kidding? It's nowhere that's expensive!

quote:
C) credit card fraud in Internet was at the top ten of crimes last year... Many tourists had their wallet broken just for using their CrC here in Italy ( and I mean 20000 US dollars or so ). You really don't realize how unsafe it is to use these wacko's... and not only on the Net.
There's a magical thing called insurance for such a thing...

quote:
Originally posted by fxho:
It makes me wonder now, how much do you spend a year in games, OLF?
Can't tell, or I'd be accused of bragging. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/redface.gif[/img]

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Italicus:

D) Pre-paid or anti-fraud CrC we use in Italy are not accepted on American market.

Try harder, Italicus. I’ve ordered (and successfully received) various bishoujo games -and other merchandise- from USA, using my pre-paid ITALIAN CrC (one hint: use Postepay Card).

quote:

Try harder, Italicus. I've ordered (and successfully received) various bishoujo games -and other merchandise- from USA, using my pre-paid ITALIAN CrC (one hint: use Postepay Card).

Really???!!! Thanks, bro!!!! How much have you paid for it? Where you ordered it from?

Grazie, fratello!!!! Da dove posti? Quanto ti Ë costato in termini di contante? Bancoposte funge, quindi!!! Dove hai ordinato, soprattutto?

Point A) You live in France, me in Italy, and banking system for CrC is different. If you don’t have a dipendent and regular salary ( i’m a trader, no regular salary ) forget about CrC; no matter what you’ll never get one.

PS Thanks Baldo! Your tip is precious. Send me a PM…

Point B) I’m not kidding!!! OLF, go to CLD website and check for a game + courier. You’ll get the point. 70 euro a game + 13 a courier = 83 euro.

Here is the link.

www.consoleland.it

Point C) Go and prove to insurance guys it was really a fraud … Insurance are the same all around the world. To prevent is better than to cure, entiendes?

[This message has been edited by Italicus (edited 03-27-2004).]

quote:
Originally posted by woodelf:
Point A) You live in France, me in Italy, and banking system for CrC is different. If you don't have a dipendent and regular salary ( i'm a trader, no regular salary ) forget about CrC.

Why not just get OLF to start his own import business and buy it off him?

No thanks, I'm not interested in used merchandise... [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img] [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by Italicus (edited 03-27-2004).]

It wouldn’t be ‘used merchandise’ that way.

quote:
Point B) I'm not kidding!!!! OLF, go to CLD website and check for a game + courier. You'll get the point. 70 euro a game + 13 a courier = 83 euro.

What you said was a bit ambiguous, that's why people were confused. It looked like you were saying that it was 83 euros for shipping a game, not buying the game+shipping. That is still expensive though, unless you are buying a game from Japan. Try www.archonia.com for english B-games, they are usually pretty reasonable. www.consoleland.it seems to be overpricing their games.

[This message has been edited by dco_chris (edited 03-27-2004).]

quote:

Grazie, fratello!!!! Da dove posti? Quanto ti Ë costato in termini di contante? Bancoposte funge, quindi!!! Dove hai ordinato, soprattutto?

Bancoposte non so, ma la loro carta ricaricabile Postepay e' comoda, costa pochissimo e ci ho fatto acquisti in diverse nazioni. Oltre a PeaPri e a Himeya Soft, potresti provare www.archonia.com se vuoi risparmiare soldi e tempo (LASCIA PERDERE ConsoleLand!).

WAH WAH WAH!! The Italian Invasion of this BBS has beginned! Give us the italian version of Sakigake, or else...

quote:
Again with the Devil's Advocacy here. I must say that there are plenty of legal and legitimate ways for you to enjoy software without paying for it.

* You can rent it

* A friend can lend it to you

* Said friend can decide he doesn't want it back and GIVE it to you

How are these ways different from bootlegging? They accomplish essentially the same result - you get a copy, you don't pay the creators.

[end Devil's Advocate]

Personally I would argue that the first two are distinct from piracy because you only TEMPORARILY acquire a copy. I am not sure what makes the last distinct from pirated goods.

Firstly this post caught my eye ... this idea that temporary ownership is ok ... does that mean if I say downloaded a game then deleted a week later thatd be fine? Im sure a determined player could finish most games in less time.

Next in reference to the posts calling downloading morally wrong, I think we should consider why we see theft as immoral. It causes damage to the one it is stolen from in one of two ways by the loss of the item , or the loss of potential income. the former is not applicable as downloaded games a copies of an orignal the latter may or may not apply ... surely it only applies if the downloader would have possibly bought the game, Im sure for many this just would never have happened thus if they download it and it enriches their life I see no problem as long as they are aware of what they are doing and that it is not something to relish or take pride in (Ill admit for many this is not the case).

As for why piraters pirate, I think some of your comments are a little cold my experience with 99.9% of people involved with cracking/distributing software is that they do it for a spirit of community, they help people get software, videos,music,etc that they want in the knowledge that other members of the community will help them do the same. I can think of no serious "piraters" who come close to the childish thrill seekers some of you describe.
Im not trying to say this justifies their actions but keep in mind they are human and have their own motives which are rarely so black and white.

What the hell’s IRC? sorry but I’m dumb at this

quote:
Originally posted by unknown:
As for why piraters pirate, I think some of your comments are a little cold my experience with 99.9% of people involved with cracking/distributing software is that they do it for a spirit of community, they help people get software, videos,music,etc that they want in the knowledge that other members of the community will help them do the same.

... This is going to sound cold - but really. Who cares why they do it? They do it. The games are just as pirated. I understand this whole concept of community - but their entire community shouldn't even exist. The whole of it is based off of the idea of helping people in it by violating others' rights. One could make the same argument about organized crime (and in fact much organized piracy is connected to the mob, but that's mostly counterfeit merchandise - the online community doesn't make money off it so there isn't much mob activity there).

quote:
Originally posted by tiger_of_the_wind2040:
What the hell's IRC? sorry but I'm dumb at this

IRC. Internet Relay Chat. This is a program kind of like a combination between this board and instant messaging. You're in "chat rooms" and other people are in the room as well, and you chat with them in real time. Generally you connect to a server and then join the room you want to go into.

Make sense?

quote:
Originally posted by unknown:
Firstly this post caught my eye ... this idea that temporary ownership is ok ... does that mean if I say downloaded a game then deleted a week later thatd be fine? Im sure a determined player could finish most games in less time.

There is a very real question here. What IS the difference between downloading a bootleg copy, fooling around with it, and then deleting it - and borrowing the game from a friend? Set the legalities aside. They don't really have anything to do with whether this is ETHICAL - it is certainly true that one is legal while the other is not.

Of course, this is a theoretical question only. Who goes through the trouble of downloading software that they want, using it for awhile, and then deleting it? Furthermore, this cannot be an acceptable legal excuse - because then everyone who ever got caught could simply say "oh, I was going to delete it later" and walk away. That'd be dumb.

This question has spawned a number of common myths. ROM sites, in particular, perpetuate the 48 hour "rule" that doesn't exist. Yes - for anyone still believing it - the idea that if you delete a bootleg copy within 48 hours, it is OK is NOT TRUE. There is no 48 hour rule. It is just as illegal as if you keep the file forever.