Visitors......clam down

I didn’t even notice that topic was locked up ^^;

dude…why are you still comparing this to political issues? Is this the only type of excuses that pirates can make (to be honest, that’s the most common type of excuses pirates use; they tend to jump a much broader context)?

As for changing people’s view, I think we have changed some actually (on convincing people to buy legit bishoujo games than going after pirated ones)…well, not a whole lot of course, but I think it’s changing (partially thanks to Dave E/Kumiko’s efforts of educating people here)

quote:
Originally posted by Nandemonai:
One, not EVERYthing gets licensed. Take a very odd movie by the name of Angel's Egg, for instance.

Or Nekojiru So [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]. I did say that not everything gets licensed, but I said that most does. Heck, even some old shows are taken back into light nowadays, and newer shows in Japan gets brought and licensed by american companies faster than you can blink.

quote:
Two, fansubs serve another purpose: reverse time shifting. Time shifting being recording a show when it is broadcast to watch it later, fansubs are good for watching the show before you buy it. Assuming that you do, in fact, follow through and actually buy the show, there's nothing unethical about this. And you can get shows far far quicker. I can't imagine not having the Inu Yasha subs. Inu Yasha kicks ass, and I've had the fansubs for close to 2 years now.

Well, fansubs are, that I have to agree on, good if you want to see a show before buying it, so that you know that "Hey! This stuff is actually worth to buy!". And to that purpose, I've nothing against anime clubs using fansubs to show their members something new, but I'm against those who uses fansubs to fill their own pockets and those who continues to spread fansubs even after they are licensed.

About the "Assuming that you do, in fact, follow through and actually buy the show, there's nothing unethical about this" part, I do understnad that kind of thinking, but... Well, I don't know how many who actually does it... I've still got my old fansubs in my closet, and since about a year ago, I'm buying (legal) DVD's to replace those old VHS. But it is an expensive process, and being the poor student I am, the whole thing goes very slowy. Also, many fells like it's a waste to buy the same series again, even if it is on DVD. Some just turn back to their old pirate friends and ask for a new copy at that stage.

Hmm, I have a acquaintance of mine, who also is interested in anime, But rather than buy anything, he downloads it all from the Net and watches it on his computer. I've told him that that is no good, to which he answered "But I don't have enough money to buy that stuff, and no DVD-player either". He isn't all that poor, through, he just spends his money on his bicyckle, his computer, etc... I've argued with him about this a couple of times, but all he says is "Well, I do promise that I'll buy what I've watched legally as soon as I have a permanent job!" I have my doubts, through...

I think it’s more of a psychogical issue than not…but the economy is also built in such a way as well…
pretty labels, even up to shape and sizes of the container, advertisment…so on…they’re all psychogical…

quote:
Originally posted by joe_kun:
Licensed by CPM [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img].

[This message has been edited by joe_kun (edited 09-28-2002).]

Whoa! And that title is even stranger than Angel's Egg, if you ask me [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img].

quote:
Originally posted by joe_kun:
Wasn't this licensed by Anchor Bay a while ago? Looks like they might have lost the license or something.

It was? Really? Wow. I have to wonder about the sanity of any anime company who actually purchases the rights to Angel's Egg. Not that it's BAD, mind you, it's just...well, who's going to buy it? It's the most obtuse, obscure thing I've ever seen, and I've seen quite a bit.

quote:
Originally posted by tryo_kane:
Still I have one question....
what ingredients make the best game?

Time spent on part of the creators of the game. Skill at what they're doing. What makes a game good is so different from game to game that that's really all you can say.

quote:
Originally posted by Spectator Beholder:
About the "Assuming that you do, in fact, follow through and actually buy the show, there's nothing unethical about this" part, I do understnad that kind of thinking, but... Well, I don't know how many who actually does it... I've still got my old fansubs in my closet, and since about a year ago, I'm buying (legal) DVD's to replace those old VHS. But it is an expensive process, and being the poor student I am, the whole thing goes very slowy. Also, many fells like it's a waste to buy the same series again, even if it is on DVD. Some just turn back to their old pirate friends and ask for a new copy at that stage.

Hmm, I have a acquaintance of mine, who also is interested in anime, But rather than buy anything, he downloads it all from the Net and watches it on his computer. I've told him that that is no good, to which he answered "But I don't have enough money to buy that stuff, and no DVD-player either". He isn't all that poor, through, he just spends his money on his bicyckle, his computer, etc... I've argued with him about this a couple of times, but all he says is "Well, I do promise that I'll buy what I've watched legally as soon as I have a permanent job!" I have my doubts, through...

So do I. But that is exactly what I said when I was in college. And I went out and did (am doing?) just that.

quote:
Well, I think most of the people here are exceptions; Before I came to PP, I did download some games, and I also got quite a lot of fansubs... Nowadays, however, is another matter [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img]. I'm buying both anime and bishoujo games legaly [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img].

On the subject of fansubs, I'm a little hesitant on that subect; Fansubs may be kinda useless nowadays, since most of the shows get licensed sooner or later anyway. Exceptions does exist, through.

Another exception here. Found out about PePri after downloading Tokimeki Check-In. Suprisingly enough, you guys managed to convert me to the light side, and now I purchace all my games and anime.

Doddler

I was convert long ago. I have actually copied any bishoujo games at all. Most of the I was coping was apps. I got really sick of software semi working or not sure if it truely working etc… Amazing what happens when I got originals of all my software.

I know lots of people who use the “I don’t have the money” excuse. But that’s one bad excuse.

There is also a difference between fansub anime to that of bishoujo games. The only resource used to generate fansub is mainly time and skill. (maybe some video editing software. Then again maybe not since that itself maybe pirated. ) However with the english bishoujo games we are seeing needs captial investment on top time and skill. So one can not really compare the two unless some people convert the japanese to english and started distributing those.

quote:
Originally posted by Doddler:
Another exception here. Found out about PePri after downloading Tokimeki Check-In. Suprisingly enough, you guys managed to convert me to the light side, and now I purchace all my games and anime.

Doddler

Admitting to downloading Tokimeki Checkin! (the original Japanese spelling is one word with the exclamation mark) on this board is a brave act.

And it is good that you buy all of your anime now.

Kudos to you.

hmm…good games appreciated by me isn’t very well appreciated by everyone else as well…time and skill are very important in producing a game but luck as well…I been thinking is that 97% perspiration and 3% luck right?..if someone doesn’t think of such a concept would it all be started?
anyone naming me the best features or which game you like and why you like it so much?

here’s something out of topic as well…
I read on the news that Vietnam is actually sueing an actor because of his role in We were soliders, that he should be banned on acting…and jailed…should someone fulfilling their duty be banned from it…enlighten me on this

quote:
Originally posted by tryo_kane:
hmm...good games appreciated by me isn't very well appreciated by everyone else as well......time and skill are very important in producing a game but luck as well.....I been thinking is that 97% perspiration and 3% luck right?.....if someone doesn't think of such a concept would it all be started?
anyone naming me the best features or which game you like and why you like it so much?

here's something out of topic as well......
I read on the news that Vietnam is actually sueing an actor because of his role in We were soliders, that he should be banned on acting.....and jailed.....should someone fulfilling their duty be banned from it...enlighten me on this

What makes a good game? There are all kinds of measures people use. I think everyone appreciates a good plot. I pay attention to the layout of a game. I hate games that frustrate me with countless "nothing" endings. This made me dislike Snow Drop. I also like games better that give me cues in the story as to what might happen if I make a decision. I adored X-Change in this respect despite certian paths that made me cringe. Tokimecki
Check-In! I liked too was more difficult but, after playing through once you get to know the characters well enough to make informed decisions. I also prefer multi-ending games over single endings in general. Some of my favorite games include Tokimeki, X-Change, 3 Sister's Story, Critical Point and Kango Shicyauzo.

quote:
Originally posted by Doddler:

Doddler

Yeah, you came, as did I (Even if I did never download any of PP's games, I did download a few of JAST USA's games before I cam here. But how many of all those who downloads bishoujo games illegaly come here? I once saw a "freeware" site that counted every time someone downloaded a game from them. Three Sisters Story was in that section, and can you guess how many who had downloaded the game, according to the counter? About 33.000 people had. How many of those might have come here?
How many of those buy the games legaly today and support the business? Very few. I'd say.

quote:
So do I. But that is exactly what I said when I was in college. And I went out and did (am doing?) just that.

Well, we will see whenever he does it or not. But I do know that many anime fans start out like this until they have a stable money income, so I can't really blame them THAT hard, and if they buy what they downloaded/brought from other pirates legaly afterward, then I can completely forgive them [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img]. But despite that, no one can aruge agianst that it is best for the survival of the genre if you buy it legaly instead.

I love interesting plots, some of them are funny, some of them are interesting that they keep you at the edge of the seat waiting for more…I remembered…one of them was some street fighter manga(that had several short and funny stories, artwork was good and I enjoyed reading it) but now I have lost virtually all my senses of reading comic(or you can call it manga) because I go through it too quickly

quote:
But despite that, no one can aruge agianst that it is best for the survival of the genre if you buy it legaly instead.

Actually, I am prepared to debate this point.

1) I buy it now, I buy it later, what's the difference?

2) I get the fansubs years before the commercial version is released. I buy the commercial version when it IS released. Where's the problem?

If you want to be pedantic (and I do, on this issue) then you're technically offering a false dilemma--using "instead" implies an either/or choice where none exists. You can both get the fansubs/other more questionable material AND buy the legal versions. Or you can do neither.

quote:
Actually, I am prepared to debate this point.

1) I buy it now, I buy it later, what's the difference?

Usually, the initial sale (during the first weeks or months) is the deciding factor to determine whether a game is a success or failure. Also, the quicker they recoup the money back, the quicker they can use it again as capital for other games. If you decide to buy a game a year or two later, it will (by then) make (almost) no difference to the company who made it.

quote:
2) I get the fansubs years before the commercial version is released. I buy the commercial version when it IS released. Where's the problem?

Let's do the following: give me a list of all the fansuubbed tapes you have, and I will ask you the same question a year from now.

quote:
If you want to be pedantic (and I do, on this issue) then you're technically offering a false dilemma--using "instead" implies an either/or choice where none exists. You can both get the fansubs/other more questionable material AND buy the legal versions. Or you can do neither.

I don't mind if you get the original material and get fansubs almost at the same time, however, I doubt many people will do that. Once you have seen the anime, the novelty of it, will disappear, and most people won't be willing to spend a dime on it.

yea…I know that ^^;
that’s why buy the company’s newer game…maybe you can leave a message on their boards saying how you have loved some of their past games…

---------------------------------------------
too many games too little memory

but I have 1 precussion…if you’re not going to play that game just yet(especially if it is very new)…don’t buy it
the price will defintely drop…

---------------------------------------------this is the truth and nothing but the truth, or maybe the developer just made a little mistake of placing the price of an old title with a new one :stuck_out_tongue: