Visitors......clam down

quote:
Originally posted by Nandemonai:
1) I buy it now, I buy it later, what's the difference?

An important difference arises, if you buy the game, after the company is bankrupt.
(This is technically possible, if retailers still have the game in store, some time after the company ceased to exist.)

If you now argue: "But it was only one purchase, that could not have saved the company at all", I have to counter with: "... and how many people, thinking the same way, acting in the other manner would have been enough to save them then? Would you really deny, they (=the necessary amount of people who think the same way) exist?"

quote:
Actually, I am prepared to debate this point.

Well, if it is alredy released and licensed here int he west, why do that? And if too many thinks like that, the company and the wares that was provided by the company might not be here any longer.

quote:
2) I get the fansubs years before the commercial version is released. I buy the commercial version when it IS released. Where's the problem?

Mind you, I throught I've said before that I don't mind a fansub if it isn't released here in the west alreday; RahXephon isn't released here in the west yet, to name an example, thus I really don't mind it. It's the opposite of that I don't accept.

quote:
Originally posted by Unicorn:
An important difference arises, if you buy the game, after the company is bankrupt.
(This is technically possible, if retailers still have the game in store, some time after the company ceased to exist.)

If you now argue: "But it was only one purchase, that could not have saved the company at all", I have to counter with: "... and how many people, thinking the same way, acting in the other manner would have been enough to save them then? Would you really deny, they (=the necessary amount of people who think the same way) exist?"

There is some legitimacy to this argument. Alright. I am prepared to concede that my heavy fansubbing of anime for more or less the last three years without buying any of it might conceivably have hurt the market...but for the rush to get stuff out on DVD. However, when I started collecting the stuff I could not hae known DVD would take off like this, and therefore I can not use that as a justification. So yes, that wasn't exactly kosher.

quote:
Originally posted by fxho:
posted 09-30-2002 07:40 PM

Usually, the initial sale (during the first weeks or months) is the deciding factor to determine whether a game is a success or failure. Also, the quicker they recoup the money back, the quicker they can use it again as capital for other games. If you decide to buy a game a year or two later, it will (by then) make (almost) no difference to the company who made it.

2) I get the fansubs years before the commercial version is released. I buy the commercial version when it IS released. Where's the problem?

Let's do the following: give me a list of all the fansuubbed tapes you have, and I will ask you the same question a year from now

As to your first point--I have already conceded it. But I'm not talking about games, I'm talking about anime. I buy all my games--a brokeass college student who's in Engineering and so doesn't play that many games can buy games that give him at a bare minimum like 30 hours entertainment for $35. It was a lot harder to justify buying anime for the same price.

As to your second point, I already know where you're going, and that's fine with me. I'll just have to go through and catalog everything. There are also some things which I will probably just get rid of. And before you cry foul, they're things I wouldn't have bought anyway--there's a place where I attended college that rents subbed anime. (Okay, so I shouldn't have blithely copied stuff and watched it later to find out I didn't really like it. I'll not even try to pretend that's kosher, because it's just not.)

quote:
Originally posted by Spectator Beholder:

[i]Originally posted by Nandemonai:
1) I buy it now, I buy it later, what's the difference?[i]

Well, if it is alredy released and licensed here int he west, why do that?

My justification was simple enough. I couldn't afford it. I would have been broke all the time, and this would be bad.

quote:
As to your first point--I have already conceded it. But I'm not talking about games, I'm talking about anime. I buy all my games--a brokeass college student who's in Engineering and so doesn't play that many games can buy games that give him at a bare minimum like 30 hours entertainment for $35. It was a lot harder to justify buying anime for the same price.

Even then, anime is (somewhat) measured the same way. Hypothetical example: if all anime fans have already watched the fansub of Spirited Away, who will be going to watch it in the movies, then? Yes, one or two, but then, there will be a lot of people who won't, just because "they already watched it", and that "novelty" feeling does not exist for them.

quote:
As to your second point, I already know where you're going, and that's fine with me. I'll just have to go through and catalog everything. There are also some things which I will probably just get rid of. And before you cry foul, they're things I wouldn't have bought anyway--there's a place where I attended college that rents subbed anime. (Okay, so I shouldn't have blithely copied stuff and watched it later to find out I didn't really like it. I'll not even try to pretend that's kosher, because it's just not.)

That's a lame excuse ("And before you cry foul, they're things I wouldn't have bought anyway"). It sounds like "it is easier for ask for forgiveness than for permission". If you don't get it legally, you are not entitled to watch it to begin with. Now that you already watched it, you don't care about it anymore.

Example: here in Vancouver, there is a place where you can rent DVDs for $2.00 a piece (or rent 2 get the third "free"). Thought I could rent them, have I done so? No, I haven't, because once I see it, it is unlikely I will buy them. I have several DVDs which I have only seen *once*, and left them in a corner to gather dust. That's human nature, try to fight against it is almost useless...

However, there is a more important question here: what you are going to do about it? I mean what you are going to do NOW about it?

quote:

Example: here in Vancouver, there is a place where you can rent DVDs for $2.00 a piece (or rent 2 get the third "free"). Thought I could rent them, have I done so? No, I haven't, because once I see it, it is unlikely I will buy them. I have several DVDs which I have only seen *once*, and left them in a corner to gather dust. That's human nature, try to fight against it is almost useless...
[/B]

Is it an illegal place? I rent from Blockbuster all the time to find out if I actually want to buy a dvd. Perfectly legal.

quote:
Originally posted by ksarchet:
Is it an illegal place? I rent from Blockbuster all the time to find out if I actually want to buy a dvd. Perfectly legal.

Oh, yeah, didn't mention it, but, no, it is NOT Blockbuster. It is more of a mom-and-pop type of shop.

And to give you an idea, they have hundreds of generic VHS tapes on the walls, and stack of DVD disks at an office. I doubt it is legal... And finally, they have fansubs. They have a web site, but it is a moot point to mention it.

about renting…
It’s more enviromentally safe and I do suppose they pay a little novelities…

--------------------------------------------
a little quotation
everyone is wasting so much nowadays…so what do I do? Follow them? So what if I don’t follow them…the apples that aren’t bought from supermarkets are still going into waste the next time…what do I do then?I’ll buy less giving them feedback that there isn’t a need for so much we don’t need…still the farmers have to grow apples for their livelyhood…too bad…but look at the bright side…they’re aren’t so enviromental unfriendly that are alike most products out in the market made of plastic…etc…ahh…I’m having a headache…but I’m going to quit eating from fastfood for a while…so what if people are arguing with me that they’re recycable?
hmm…it still takes resources to recycle unfortunately…
me number 2:“hmmm…convenience is going to destroy us somewhere in the future” what can I do about it…?
me number2:“nothing…no one is acting”
---------------------------------------------

quote:
That's a lame excuse ("And before you cry foul, they're things I wouldn't have bought anyway"). It sounds like "it is easier for ask for forgiveness than for permission". If you don't get it legally, you are not entitled to watch it to begin with. Now that you already watched it, you don't care about it anymore.

However, there is a more important question here: what you are going to do about it? I mean what you are going to do NOW about it?

I realize it's a lame excuse. One of these days I'm going to go through my anime collection, and stuff I have fullylegalbackupcopies of that I never watched, will never watch even once because I don't like it (let alone buying the stuff), will just get trashed. And stuff like Fushigi Yuugi, which I don't really like and only watched once fansubbed (and that was actually a *legit* fansub as it *wasn't* out at the time) and wouldn't want to pay for will get trashed as well. I don't intend to have *any*thing that isn't kosher now that I can afford it.

Oh, and as for Spirited Away--saw it at my anime club, saw it last week in a theatre with my dad and brother, and probably will see it in a theater again with my mother.

When I make a decision whether or not to buy something it is based solely on the product. Whether I have already seen it is more or less irrelevant compared to "was it good enough to be worth my money?" and "what is the shape of the industry that produced this product?".

Oh, and I do think you're taking this a bit far with the whole "I don't rent DVDs because then I won't buy them" deal. If something is available for rent, that is perfectly legitimate. Rent-and-copy isn't, but simply renting something, watching it once, and then never buying it is perfectly acceptable.

quote:
And to give you an idea, they have hundreds of generic VHS tapes on the walls, and stack of DVD disks at an office. I doubt it is legal... And finally, they have fansubs. They have a web site, but it is a moot point to mention it.

Renting fan subs? Alright, I take back my remarks in my last post about this DVD rental place. I still say a *legit* rental place is perfectly fine, but do not think this is in any way a legit store. I wouldn't patronize them either.

quote:
My justification was simple enough. I couldn't afford it. I would have been broke all the time, and this would be bad.

Well, depend son how you see it. Many ani'me fans seems to be broke all the time [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img]. It's a matter of how deep you get into your hobby, I guess.

quote:
Originally posted by woodelf:
Well this month $175 Canadian is how deep I went.

Just three days, and you have already spent CAN $175???? [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/eek.gif[/img]

Let's see, last month I spent circa CAN $130 in anime (both Eva DVDs and vol. 3 to 5 of Princess Nine). Hmmmm... I shouldn't be expending that much on any hobby. However, if not how else can I get another Overrun? [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/frown.gif[/img] [Note: That is, Magic The Gathering]

$250USD so far this month

quote:
Originally posted by woodelf:
Well this month $175 Canadian is how deep I went.

Hmm, can't say how much I spend each month, sicne that varies... But I do spend lot sof money on anime, games and, when they are our, bishoujo gmaes [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img]. I've not spent anything this month yet, sicne I'm struck in ÷rebro for soem weeks, and you can't buy any anime here. But next time I'm in the city, I'll buy... hmm... Havne't really decided yet, but I think I'll buy Hellsing #1, Escaflowne the Movie and Eat-man 98 - part 1-12.