visual novel.net peter payne interview

They initially wanted an early 2010 release, and if they couldn’t hit that, almost definitely by the 2010 con season. I’m pretty sure I said that way back during my AX 2009 thread. I don’t remember them ever saying they targeted a 2009 release.

I stand corrected. I still am seriously looking forward to the Nitro+ games coming out :slight_smile:

Since they were previously involved with Hirameki, I’m surprised it took this long for a new partnership to be inked, especially if it’s true N+ is having some issues in Japan.

As I recall, Raidy was out when the old GC was still alive. GC considered it but never went anywhere with it.

While new partnerships are nice…is there really any functional difference between GC, JAST USA, Peach Princess, and Nitro+ USA in the first place? They’re all on the same payroll. When GC runs out of CDBros titles, they can just as easily turn to Will (a huge group of developers) or Nitro+ titles. Or better yet, turn to Eternal Will titles. :stuck_out_tongue: In other words, asking for new partnerships for GC is equivalent to asking for new partnerships for JAST USA. They’re all basically the same entity anyway, right?

my guess is the difference is the developers
like the staff from the G-collections and peach princess were retained from the merger and nitro+ usa has to report to the japan branch

No, the developers are all in Japan. And we’re pretty sure the G-Collections staff was let go - one of the staffers was a board regular who got hired by them at a con; he would post here regularly about how things were going. He got let go shortly after Figures of Happiness (GC’s last title as GC, rather than as a part of J-List’s empire) was released. I’m also pretty sure Peach Princess either always was operated by Peter, or got bought out by Peter very early on (as in, in the early 2000’s or so).

My understanding is that at this point, G-Collections, Peach Princess, and Jast USA are all basically different labels for the same company, run by the same staff. I’m not sure about Nitroplus USA, but if Shingo was talking about having read thru some of the translation, then probably it’s the same. (It was also announced as a joint venture between Jast and Nitro+ as I recall.)

i agree with that, but if you look the direction took, in term of type of Eroge Released, by PP et GC since 2006 , you’ll see that’s those 2 label are going in a quite different way.
While GC is still mainly Nukige (Sex Romp) focused with from time to time a Story Based Eroge, PP took a more Story Based or/and different gameplay Direction.

Well true enought that Will is a big company with a lot of Sub-Branch, but like we say in my country : Don’t put all your egg in the same basket.

well I can understand why CD Bros is not susessful. None of their works have been adapted in anime, nor are their products sold at erogeshop, and no one in Japan seems to care abobout them. Their website is still acessible. I wish people in Japan would give CD Bros a chance, I really like the works of Trabulance

that is funny since it seems the g-collections games are top sellers for jastusa
the top 5 downloads are g-collections games

I’m curious where you’re seeing that. I looked around the JAST USA site and couldn’t find any sort of ranking that’s been posted.

it is on j-list
they randomly list their top 5 in each category
including games and downloads

After some tinkering, I found the link: http://feeds.jlist.com/

Go to that link, and you can pull up the top 25 weekly ranking for each category.

Here’s the one for dating sims: http://feeds.jlist.com/TOPPROD/HENTAI/GMVA/feed.xml

Ranking:

1. The Sagara Family
  2. Lightning Warrior Raidy
  3. Cosplay Fetish Academy
  4. Come See Me Tonight 1 & 2 set
  5. Snow Sakura
  6. Moero Downhill Night
  7. Family Project ~ Kazoku Keikaku
  8. Yo-Jin-Bo ~ The Bodyguards
  9. Discipline: The Record of the Crusade
  10. Pretty Soldier Wars A.D. 2048

Hard to make sense of, but the recent RPGs (Raidy, Pretty Soldier Wars) are doing very well, despite well, not being very good at all. There’s a mix of story (3/10) and ero-focused (7/10) titles, with the overall majority (4/10) being light, ero-focused titles. Dark titles represent 2.5/10 of the lineup.

i will agree for Pretty Soldier, it’s a very bad TRPG but not for Raidy.
The fact is the Raidy version of G-Collections is the remake that ZyX did of a middle 90’s title… I don’t know your age, but in the middle of the 90’s, a lot of Pc RPG was using the same type of gameplay that Raidy use (Might and Magic, the AD&D based and a lot more).

Well Raidy is simple, but not so bad, when you’re a old PC RPG player, in fact, when i played it i remembered the time with my 386/486 with DOS and Windows 3.1 :smiley:

I suspect a lot of Wizardry, Might and Magic, Eye of the Beholder etc. fans would get pretty offended if you compared those games to Raidy though. Even back then it was uncommonly simple for a first-person RPG - honestly, Akalabeth (the very first first-person RPG and predecessor to the Ultima series) had more depth than Raidy did.

That said, it was still better than a lot of other eroge RPGs around at the time!

I’m a fan of eye of the Beholder and Might & magic (i still have my original Floppy Disc and Cd… yeah Floppy).
And i didn’t found Raidy that’s Bad for an Eroge RPG^^.

True, although on the other hand it’s not nearly as good as some of Alicesoft’s early RPGs. Raidy was released in the same year as Kichikuou Rance (which IMO is better than Sengoku Rance) and there’s an enormous gap in quality between the two games, not to mention some of the other early Rance games, Toushin Toshi 1+2 etc.

Word Worth also (1993 the first release)
Well, you’re talking about Alice Soft here… It’s like if you compare Pretty Soldier with a Studio E.go! Eroge.
I mean you don’t compare a Ferrari with an old Skoda ^^

studio e.go! doesn’t have any ferraris, though. Maybe a couple of old volvos at best

Men at Work serie and Castle Fantasia serie are really good.

Also take a moment to notice good old YJB sitting up there in the top list, despite being “for girls” and non-adult!

Doesn’t surprise me; I’ve sold a good pile of copies myself and I’m not even trying that hard.

More otome games plz? :slight_smile:

RPGs, and H-RPGs, have progressed quite a bit in the past 15 years. That doesn’t excuse the release of a remake a decade later with the same terrible gameplay as its predecessor. I’ve played a number of H-RPGs in the past few years. The only one I can think of that is even close to being as poor as Raidy is Pretty Soldier Wars. The Erogamescape score of low 50’s for Raidy (high 40’s for Pretty Soldier Wars) shows that I’m not the only one that thinks so, among those with access to better H-RPGs. Even Brave Soul and Knights of Xentar are leaps and bounds above Raidy. That said, if you liked Raidy, then you’ll love Raidy 2–it’s more of the same, only quite a bit better. Once it’s out I imagine it’ll be the best ero-focused H-RPG that’s been localized (ignoring Koihime Musou, which I don’t know enough about at this point to judge).