Websites to buy japanese language games

Ok, since i’ve sent to hell G-Coll, i looked for jap games.

Apart of getchu and densetsu, do you know other websites that sell that kind of stuff?

Domo arigatoo…

Many people in the US use Himeya Soft to import J-games. Their shipping office is only a few km from where I live, so my experience with them has been very good. I don’t know how well they do for international orders, but according to their FAQ, it’s part of their business.

quote:
International orders (anywhere outside of the U.S.) will all be shipped by Air Mail (7-14 business day shipping time minimum).

Just keep in mind that you’ll want to have at least Win2K if not XP to play Japanese games. Even if it’s JP Win 98 compatible, it won’t run on an English Win 98 OS. I don’t think it’s really a fair trade off to go from GC games to Japanese games. It’s like apples to oranges. I mean, of course you’ll find plenty of Japanese games that are 100 times better than any of the English bishoujo games that we have, but they are in Japanese and you can’t get the full value out of them. I own several Japanese games and English games. I wouldn’t want to only play one or the other. If I were fluent in Japanese that would be different. I know that you’re studying Japanese, Italicus, but you still won’t get too much out of most games at this point. I’m in my third year of Japanese and only catch the just of what’s going on most of the time. I’d recommend a game like Duel Savior where the interactivity (fun battles) and beautiful characters will make the game worth while even if you don’t fully understand everything that’s going on in the story. I wouldn’t recommend Kimi ga Nozomu Eien or Da Capo as a first game. Either way, it’s your choice. Be sure to let us know which game you buy and if you like it or not.

Don’t worry, i’ve found a good italian japanese kanji translator that covers 85% of japanese charachters offline to help in my studies, i tested it with Win XP and works good.

* italian mode
@ Baldo
A te il nome non lo dico manco se ti spari.
/italian mode *

And please note i did it because i want to be free to choose whatever kind of fruit i like.

quote:
Originally posted by Italicus:

And please note i did it [b]because i want to be free to choose whatever kind of fruit i like
. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/tongue.gif[/img]

[/b]

dont take your freedom of speech crap for granted...

And don’t take it too far… Like a political group here did with its racist stance. They got sued, and lost. Yay!

Ahum…

A tool to translate? Uh, yeah, like you will get much use out of that sort of stuff…

quote:
Originally posted by bishounen_blue:
I wouldn't recommend Kimi ga Nozomu Eien or Da Capo as a first game.
Coincidentally, I did buy Kimi ga Nozumu Eien as my first Japanese game. I've had less classroom time with the language than bishounen_blue, but I hope this game will provide incentive to continue learning. If I can't get anywhere with it, I'll recruit a friend to help translate and at the same time introduce her to a quality title from the genre. As benoit notes, I wouldn't put too much hope in an automatic translation tool for a narrative-rich game.

http://ohhara.sarang.net/ohthk/ Oh, text hooker, i believe it translates japanese to english designed by a guy who studied japanese and played games :stuck_out_tongue:

Ha ha. Actually, as a general statement I wouldn’t recommend a game like Kimi ga Nozumu Eien to someone who wanted to enjoy a Japanese bishoujo game for the first time. It’s not so bad for perigee though because he has someone to help him with the translation. There’s a huge difference between having a real person help you and trying to use some sort of translation program. If you got KGNE, it’s probably because you already saw the fansub and liked the story, so it won’t be so bad. Fansubs a great, huh. It’s too bad that it’s so hard to make fan translation of bishoujo games. My friend and I are going to try to create an English patch for a bishoujo game that has a good enough story to be made into a non-adult version, yet has no anime version. This is the kind of game that no other fan group would think about translating. Also, it has to be a game from a company that GC and peapri don’t work with. (no shortage there, I know) With his current computer skills and my current language skills, it’s impossible. I need to complete some intensive language courses (in Japan) first. It’s going to take a few years but it’s just for fun. We’re thinking about doing a translation for Lost Passage by Deep Blue because 1) it has a PS2 version and it’s a story-based game and 2) the censorship is not a mosaic. It is censored with the “invisible” techinque for both the male AND female characters so this game cannot be uncensored. Of course, you could draw over the CGs to make them uncensored but that wouldn’t be Deep Blue’s original work. So, this game will never come to the English market. Oh yeah, I already own this game so I don’t have to buy it. But yeah, if anyone has any better suggestions then I’d like to hear the. There may be a fraction of a percent of a chance that peapri would translate KGNE someday so we wouldn’t touch that. Plus it’s really popular so another, more talanted group might try it.

http://www.deepblue-soft.com/products/lospa/index.html

I don’t see how “freedom of speech” relates to the importing of bishoujo games from Japan. Italicus seems to be saying two different things. First he says he’s importing games to avoid V-mate. Now he says that he is importing because he likes the vast selection of games available on in Japan. If the vast selection really matter then he would have already been importing games, and v-mate wouldn’t have made much of a difference. Really, import games do not substitue domestic games unless you’re fluent in Japanese. The translation program is not going to translate things into a way that you can understand. Even if you can understand it, there will be a lot of incorrect translations, and playing the game will become more of a chore than something enjoyable.

quote:
I don't see how "freedom of speech" relates to the importing of bishoujo games from Japan.

i was referring to something else actually

Thanks Kagami and Perigee.

[This message has been edited by Italicus (edited 11-13-2004).]

There are plenty of better games than Brave Soul on the Japanese market. Not all of them are action/RPG games per se, but possibly ADV + Tatical battle are considered to be “interactive.” I prefer Utawareru Mono over Brave Soul anyday. I’m not saying that I don’t like Brave Soul because I do, but it’s not like it’s one of the best games around. In fact, it costs less in Japan than it does in the US. I know that the English market is limited in which company’s games can be translated, and in how many games can be translated, and also in the difficulty of translation. Clearly GC doesn’t want to waste the time to translate a lenghty or interactive game that they assume won’t generate any more sales that a short ADV. What I’m trying to say is that I love the Enlgish market for bishoujo games, but I’m not going to pretend that only the best games are translated. I don’t think I would be too hard pressed to find several games with better artwork and storylines compared with any game currenty available in English. If I were fluent in Japanese and only bought Japanese games, I wouldn’t have bought most of the games that I have now because there would have been so many better ones to buy instead. Still, I’m glad to see these games being translated into English at all, and to be able to see them in a lot of “normal” stores someday would be amazing. We have adult anime in FYE, so I think it’s not impossible for these games, there’s just a long way to go.

Ahem, bishounen, if you didn’t understand, i posted this thread to learn URLs for purchasing bishoujo games, and not for listening to your opinions. So, if you know such kinda adresses, please post, otherwise, do not. Mmmmmkay?

Hey thanks for the links. I usually get my stuff from my friend who works there and he just give me japanese links. (he’s not a gamer in any form or shape, but he plays cricket very well.)

quote:
Ahem, bishounen, if you didn't understand, i posted this thread to learn URLs for purchasing bishoujo games, and not for listening to your opinions. So, if you know such kinda adresses, please post, otherwise, do not. Mmmmmkay? [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]

How rude.
quote:
Originally posted by Benoit:

How rude.

Better to use substance in language rather then form. That's the mark of my homeland, the beautifull Sardinia island. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

Anyone else has valuable URLs to this stuff? [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by Italicus (edited 11-15-2004).]

Sorry about the slightly unrelated topic, but has anyone ever have problems running Japanese Will games? I can run most imported games fine, but the Japanese text always messes up in the Will (Guilty et al) games and I can’t figure out how to fix it.

quote:
Better to use substance in language rather then form. That's the mark of my homeland, the beautifull Sardinia island. ;)

Better still to use both. When in Rome, do as the Romans do, and all that ^_^

quote:
Ahem, bishounen, if you didn't understand, i posted this thread to learn URLs for purchasing bishoujo games, and not for listening to your opinions. So, if you know such kinda adresses, please post, otherwise, do not. Mmmmmkay? [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]

Huh? I replied in that message not to you, but to the previous post, which was a reply to my previous post. This isn't your BBS. Not everyone is always responding to the first post of each thread. Very few threads on this BBS are like that, if any...

quote:
Huh? I replied in that message not to you, but to the previous post, which was a reply to my previous post. This isn't your BBS. Not everyone is always responding to the first post of each thread. Very few threads on this BBS are like that, if any...

Please, i know this is not my BBS, but respect the topic. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks Kagami, you explanation was very useful. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img]