What do you guys think of "revival" titles?

As I’m sure many eroge veterans are aware, from time to time, a particularly popular title will get remade with superior graphics, audio… and maybe an extra girl or two. Basically it’s an improved remixed: “revival” is a popular word used for such treatment with the b-game community.

Case in point: Tsuki Possession

The original game that was released in the US, was later improved with a DVD version in Japan. Predominantly it upgraded the music quality and added a new miko girl.

http://www.zyx-game.co.jp/newsoft/tuki_dvd/index.html

Now in Japan, hardcore gamers who enjoyed the original will typically buy the new version ¬ñ despite it not really containing “groundbreaking” new stuff. They just shelled out more $$$ for a single new girl.

How about us Westerners? Would you pay full price for a “remake” of a title you already own, when it only adds a few “bling-bling” upgrades and maybe a new character or two?

If it was of my favorites, and added enough new content to offer a bit more play time.

Depends on how much upgrade and how much it cost.

For instance, even though I adore Ever 17, if a new version came out for the same price that added a few new wallpapers, I woudln’t buy it again.

Heart de Roommate is not my favorite game by a long shot, but if a Bonus Disc were put out that offered a new path or new long epilogue paths for the existing characters, and it were cheap (say $10?) I might get it.

Taking an existing game and adding blinking eyes / mouth animations to it is a cute upgrade but I wouldn’t want to pay more than $5-10 to patch that capability onto my existing game, I wouldn’t buy it again for that.

Re-releasing a very old game with higher-color graphics, higher-resolution, and an engine with newer features like skip-on-replay and auto-advance? I might well pay $25-30 again for it.

I don’t usually buy “revival” games, and I only buy games in Japanese. There are way enough games out for you not to bother with buying a renewed version of a game you already bought and perhaps even played.
I may buy different versions (say “Tokimeki Memorial” on SNES, PC-Engine, Saturn and PSX) but not renewed versions.

It’s frustrating.
I have Crescendo and after that I learnt that there is a new version in japan with a new path that I will never see :frowning:

I probably would depending on the game. New paths, yes, I’d buy it. New music and major graphical updates, I’d probably buy it.(If for no other reason to support the market.) Minor changes, such as small graphical updates, and sound… Probably not.

I just don’t think the western market is big enough for revival and upgrade titles though. (Hell even JRPG’s like Persona 3 FES will probably never find it’s way to the western market, let alone revival/upgrade titles in this market.)

I would buy one when i really like the Game. A new Girl could be enough :slight_smile: I’m sure that i buy it for the full price then

If I really liked the original title I would probably purchase the revival version of the title. Otherwise it would depend what exactly was revised or added onto the original. I like cute goods so that can sway me, too.

As for Revival titles, the only one I’ve ever bought was Brightia Plus by Cronus. Reason being New Girl and some recolored art. So Yeah I would buy a revival title if it added a new girl.

You say that as if playing a game was some lofty achievement :slight_smile:

You could get me to buy a Renewal version, but it would depend what game. I would buy a Renewal version of Crescendo that added the extra path info. In general, if it’s yarugee … I’m not terribly likely to care. But one of the hallmarks of a good story is that when it’s done, you want more, and if a renewal edition will provide that then great.

For example, I hear there is a Windows XP edition of Nocturnal Illusion floating around out there. Did they add anything? The game’s pacing had some issues, and some parts could have used significant expansion. If my info is correct, and if they added anything new to this ediion, and (by some miracle) it were to be translated, I would snap it up in an instant.

Personally I would, provided that I enjoyed the game, buy a remake/renewal, just so I can say I have it all. I can think of a few console games I would love a remake for, and I would buy it without a thought.

It really depends on the content added to the game. If it’s substantial, and I really liked the game, I may shell out money for it again, but if it’s just some blinking eyes, or a couple of new pictures, that won’t be enough.

It depends on a lot of things, the primary two being how much I enjoyed it and what exactly they changed (for example I bought Resident Evil for the original PS and the Remake for Gamecube)

As for you’re Tsuki Possession example, I would buy it again. I usually like Zyx’s work, I liked that game, and miko are something of a favorite of mine (well, one of them :stuck_out_tongue: ). Maybe this time they could get all the graphics data so we won’t be stuck with a few censored pics like in the old version. :expressionless:

I’d buy it a second time :oops: …I’ve got a thing for mikos. :twisted:

Well if they came out with a Popotan remake I’d probably buy that one. Or Tsukihime. I already got Eve Burst Error remake. That’s about it… I was going to get the PM2 remake until I found out there wasn’t any reminisce mode.

I might be a bit more willing to buy some of the English games that had remake titles…May Club DX. The X-Change remakes don’t interst me so much. And the other titles I’d buy remakes of won’t be getting them ever.

Personally, I would definitely get Kana¬ÖOkaeri? if it gets translated because its original version was the 1st eroge that I played, and I loved the story. I would pretty much get the remake if the original version didn’t come with voice acting and I liked the story in it like X-Change, Tsukihime, and Fate Stay Night. I wouldn’t get X-Change 2R though because the amount of changes in the game doesn’t seem worth it.

It all depends of the new adds.

If the Renewal version is just a Re-Release, without any extras, i wouldn’t buy.

It the Renewal version has new added (likeable) characters and/or scenarios, or new redrawed CGs, or new animated scenes, i would.

If it was one of my favorites? I’d buy it.

If it was a game I considered “good” but wasn’t a favorite? Depends on what was added, improved, or changed. For instance, I’d buy a revival of old, good games that don’t run under the “modern” OSes just so I could play them again without breaking out virtual machines. A good game with a new path/scenario/girl? Probably.

Something I didn’t like? Not unless they added stuff that makes me drool. You know, twincest catgirls, that sort of thing. :wink:

I’m pretty sure that the general concensus is - “it depends”. ie. whether someone really liked the series or not and if the “updates” were worth it… that being said I’ve already done and bought multiple copies/remakes of some non h games already (ie. HM:AWL on GC and PS2, Persona 3 and Persona 3 FES, DoA & DoA Ultimate, Oneechanbara & Oneechanpuru) so it’s not really a big thing fer me… of course the usual “depends” disclaimer still applies =D