What people here would perfer

Well, this jsubect have, or so I think, bene discussed before, but anyway…

Lamuness, you said before that it seems like the customers of Peach Princess are going more towards the hardcore titles than the softciore titles, which is almost what Kumiko said once before…

So, I’d like to hear what the people here tihnk about it? I remember that when I first came here, people seemed to be more towards the “softer” titles (but that was just the impression I got from the BBS, of course). Today, I don’t really know if I get the same impression; Back then, people backed away and wasn’t too happy to hear about anything brutish in a bishoujo game that PP would release, but nowadays, most people semes to have “accepted” it, so to say.

And people seems a little more eager about the throught of a game with brutish elements now than before. Which makes me wonder what course PP should take if the majority of customers of PP are more towards the hardcore bishoujo games than the softcore ones. I myself don’t think you should stop releasing softcore titles, through, but you might have to concentrate more on hardcore games if it indeed is the case that they are more popular. Or you simply have to release titles that works for both, like LMM and Slave Bazaar .

What do you think?

I prefer fun games with a good story. I like TCI. I suspect I will like LMM and Slave Bazaar. If it is well done, and treats it properly, hardcore is ok. I prefer softcore. I don’t know if I will like Gibo or Dokusen(however it is spelled), but I will get them to support the genre if produced.

quote:
Originally posted by joe_kun:
Artwork is most important to me now, followed by story.

Yes, what he said. Although for me, sometimes an excellent storyline can salvage mediocre art. An example?

.................I don't have one.

Well what games exactly falls under hardcore?

Softcore being more of a dating type thing instead of pure sex or what?

quote:
Originally posted by Jeffrey:
Yes, what he said. Although for me, sometimes an excellent storyline can salvage mediocre art. An example?

You've just given an example yourself. ONE ~kagayaku kisetsu~ is such a game with an excellent story and mediocre graphics.

The games with the best stories are usually the non-brutish ones. If it's true that PP customers are more into brutish games, the Japanese companies will see an increase in demand for brutish games and a decrease in demand for softcore titles. Their resources and titles to translate will adjust accordingly and in the future, we'll see the majority of games being hardcore titles. It will be just like the adult animation market with the majority of titles containing that "daemon rape shit." LOL. In other words, you'll get your Slave Bazaar, but you might not get another game like Kana 'cause it's not brutish enough and won't sell as well.

I will buy an hardcore title if it sounds good just like any other game. I believe I would enjoy it.
But why such a question ? Do you really believe hardcore games have been released in English ? Are we back again to the topic : violence in videogames ? Aren’t the bishoujo games consumers supposed to be mature enough to choose what they like or not ?

quote:
Originally posted by gaogao:
You've just given an example yourself. ONE ~kagayaku kisetsu~ is such a game with an excellent story and mediocre graphics.
Hey!!!! I liked both the stories AND the graphics!!!! True, I fell in love with Akane-chan since the first time you met her and that affected my judgement of the whole game, but... She is cute!!! Well, to me, of course. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/tongue.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by olf_le_fol (edited 09-29-2002).]

quote:
Originally posted by Gambit:
Well what games exactly falls under hardcore?

Softcore being more of a dating type thing instead of pure sex or what?

Well, that's hard to say. Most people say that Kana and Snow Drop falls under the softcore category, while Tokimeki Check-In, X-change and WC falls under the hardcore category. I guess that whenever you should rate a title as hard core or not depend son this:

1. Does the game introduce strange fetishes? If yes, it's most likely a hardcore game.
2. Is there any bondage in the game? If yes, it's most likely a hardcore game
3. Is the game violent in any way? If yes, it's most likely a hardcore gmae.
4. Is there any rapes/forced sex acts in the game? If yes, it's most likely a hardcore game.
5. Is there other kinds of sex than just "normal" sex, like anal sex or the like? If yes, it's most likely a hardcore game.

These points is what you usually find in a hardcore title. I don't say that you can't find one or more of those points in a softcore title, but it is, from what I've seen, kind of rare.

quote:
Originally posted by gaogao:
It will be just like the adult animation market with the majority of titles containing that "daemon rape shit." LOL. In other words, you'll get your Slave Bazaar, but you might not get another game like Kana 'cause it's not brutish enough and won't sell as well.

*shudder* I'm not really eager to see "Demon rape shit" games if you want to hear my opinion [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img] (a single exceptation does exist, through). I'm just happy with "normal" brutish games like Dokusen or Slave Bazaar (the brutish parts of the last game anyway).

quote:
Originally posted by Jeffrey:

Wheel of Time. For such an incredibly long series as it is, you would think they would have made graphical improvements to the engine at least every few installments...but nooo, Fires of Heaven has just as sucky graphics as Eye of the World.

quote:
Originally posted by Spectator Beholder:
Well, that's hard to say. Most people say that Kana and Snow Drop falls under the softcore category, while Tokimeki Check-In, X-change and WC falls under the hardcore category. I guess that whenever you should rate a title as hard core or not depend son this:

1. Does the game introduce strange fetishes? If yes, it's most likely a hardcore game.
2. Is there any bondage in the game? If yes, it's most likely a hardcore game
3. Is the game violent in any way? If yes, it's most likely a hardcore gmae.
4. Is there any rapes/forced sex acts in the game? If yes, it's most likely a hardcore game.
5. Is there other kinds of sex than just "normal" sex, like anal sex or the like? If yes, it's most likely a hardcore game.

These points is what you usually find in a hardcore title. I don't say that you can't find one or more of those points in a softcore title, but it is, from what I've seen, kind of rare.

Most people claim Tokimeki Checkin! is hardcore? What are most people on? And where can I get some? It must be good stuff...

I like good stories. If there’s a good story that happens to be BDSM, well, depending on the story-to-mature-content ratio I might have to skip it, but I would at least be interested in it. Like I’ve said, I like Berserk, which has far more extreme content than anything you’ll find in Xchange. But Berserk has a good story, it has character development, and it’s just well done, made by people who knew how to craft a story.

Haha… I’m more of a softcore guy, I prefered Kana and any scenario in tokimeki that didn’t involve non concentual sex. It depends though, I really like a good love story, and while most of them end up being softcore, I enjoy a bit of hardcore stuff so long as it fits the story.

Doddler

I have no real category I prefer. I guess the most important thing is, “Can I relate to this?” To explain. Can I understand what the characters are going through. Do I think the characters are interacting the way they should? Does the story flow smoothy and consistent with it’s own universe? (When I play games or watch a movie I put “reality” on hold. But please there are limits.)

Art is also important I guess. After all, most are “visual” novels. I say arts work is secondary.

Generally is a game has me playing for more than thirty minutes I say it at least “good”. I do mean interest, ie wanting more.

PS: When I say can I understand the characters. Means I understand, I don’t have to agree with the character in question.

ya know, after actually thinking about this one (and not making up some stupid saying) I decided that if the story can back the game up, it dont much matter if its hardcore or softcore… kana was great… tci,snowdrop (though hard) were great, i just got xchange and im still trying to decide if im offended or if its just wierd… anyway, im trying to say… either and or, as long as the story can back it up.

quote:
Originally posted by Gambit:
ya know, after actually thinking about this one (and not making up some stupid saying) I decided that if the story can back the game up, it dont much matter if its hardcore or softcore... kana was great... tci,snowdrop (though hard) were great, i just got xchange and im still trying to decide if im offended or if its just wierd... anyway, im trying to say... either and or, as long as the story can back it up.

I will wholeheartedly agree.

TCI, hardcore? Are you sure? I don’t think so. I’m on too much already or I would also ask for some of that lemonade. You can’t use the Vampire Lemons though.

quote:
Originally posted by Nandemonai:
Wheel of Time. For such an incredibly long series as it is, you would think they would have made graphical improvements to the engine at least every few installments...but nooo, Fires of Heaven has just as sucky graphics as Eye of the World.

They're still making sequels to the game? The book series is awesome but, I heard the game wasn't all that good.

quote:
Originally posted by ksarchet:
TCI, hardcore? [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/confused.gif[/img] Are you sure? I don't think so. I'm on too much already or I would also ask for some of that lemonade. You can't use the Vampire Lemons though.

Umm... when i said they were hard, i meant it was hard to get the actual ending ya wanted... Because 1 missed decision and you lost the chance.

ok, question still applies to SB saying TCI was hardcore.