What's the Deal With Breasts?

Maybe this is another one of those run-into-the-ground topics, but it was obviously BW (Before Wolfson), so I’m asking the question: Is it just me, or are the breasts in bishoujo games getting bigger?

Now, I know that everyone has their tastes, and I’m not knocking anyone’s preferences, but I’m kinda fond of… oh… small to medium sized ones. The last game I played that had breasts I liked, I think, was Season of the Sakura. After that a lot of mysterious things started happening…

For example: why do all the girls with small breasts (except for the ones who are drawn with no breasts) suddenly sprout d-cups for the hentai scenes? Or even less subtle was Brave Soul, where, in the hentai scenes, Marin is constantly described as having small breasts–yet she is drawn pretty well-endowed as far as I’m concerned (maybe they meant “compared to the other women in the game…”).

Shoot… by the time I got to Jewel Knights - Crusaders, the breasts were defying gravity. I’m worried that in the not-so-distant future, the women in bishoujo games will be nothing but breasts with a pair of anime eyes drawn on.

Now, it’s my understanding that Japanese men have a fixation with large breasts, and maybe that has something to do with it… but… um… I kinda wish they were at least staying in the “normal” range. I guess only the future will tell if this is just a fad in animation style, or in what games the English market is picking up–who knows? Once again, it’s just my opinion

Rant finished…

I have several Japanese bishoujo games from a few different makers. If you PM me, I can send you a few CGs from some games that haven’t been brought to the English market. There are lots of bishoujo games that have girls with smaller/normal sized breasts. Want to see? I haven’t played too much of Brave Soul yet do to the fact that I got FFXI at the same time, but I know that Leo in Tsukushite Agechau 4 was said to have “small” breasts but I thought they were pretty big in the sex scenes. The english market is good, but limited. Anyone is free to PM me if curious.

quote:
I'm worried that in the not-so-distant future, the women in bishoujo games will be nothing but breasts with a pair of anime eyes drawn on.

LOL! [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]

Yeah, it does seem to be the way you say.
And the breasts getting larger by getting naked is one of those special bishoujo game rules (older thread).
Personally I think it's because when wearing a bra the breasts seem smaller.

Who knows… it may just be the English market that is into the giant breast fettish. If that’s the case, I have no explanation for it (my theory about the Japanese fixation then having holes blown all through it).

I’d come to the conclusion that the “mysterious growing breasts” were something of a trademark feature in bishoujo, since I’ve seen it enough times. It’s the why that I don’t understand… or is the assumption that only large, huge, or grossly oversized breasts are sexy when seen naked?

No, this ‘big breast’ thing is very much a Japanese fetish as well. We are nowhere near the level of being able to either 1) pick and choose only the games with big breasts, or 2) go to the Japanese creators and say “more big breasts!”. So it must be a Japanese preference (although selective localization could PARTIALLY account for this, it certainly doesn’t explain why all the flat-chested girls all seem to have WonderBras of Holding).

The huge breast phenomenon is something I don’t quite get either. There is one character in Horny Bunnies 2 that I’m not even going to bother completing the game with, such is the repulsion I feel about a certain aspect of her character design. I felt the graphics of Private Nurse were somewhat spoilt because of this too.

Casual Romance Club may be more to your taste and Tottemo Pheromone has a girl with an almost flat-chest (with the rest of the characters slightly more realistically proportioned than in some other games).

[This message has been edited by Darc (edited 06-28-2004).]

i have nothing against boobs as many of you know very well…but then from a neutral perspective, maybe part of the reason why there are so much boobs is that japanese and asian girls tend to have smaller breasts which leads to a demand for big boobs from japanese people

but then we have the other side of the spectrum with lolicons so i personally think that it’s rather balanced overall

hrm, but we dont get enough lolicon in the translated games
its always one character among 5 or 6 giant breasted ones, we dont ever get the purely lolicon games… any chance of getting some?

Probably not. Well, not from the bigger named places anyway. And probably not from the smaller ones either, for a mighty good few years at least. There’s the whole issue of questionable underaged characters. You can draw someone who looks like a ten-year-old and claim they’re eighteen, but it’s near impossible to prove. And should a right-winged mother find their underaged son in possession of such a product, then there’s gonna be a big ass battle of the bulge with giant legal words. Spooky. And sure, it’ll put bishoujo games in the public eye, but at what cost?

------------------
精神 の 神

Lolicon games also tend to have characters that are too lolicon.

Little my Maid’s girls have little breasts, though personally I find their breasts to be ugly.

I think Lamuness-san probably hits pretty close to the mark. I mean, even some of the immigrant girls I know seem to have this odd fixation on large breasts. Not that I’ve had all that much opportunity to work in the subject of breasts in the conversations…

I think there’s also some visual design aspects to the whole thing. Sometimes it’s hard to define the smaller breast sizes without causing the image to look decidedly odd. And when it’s a nude image, without the benefit of shape and shadow lines given by clothing, the problem just gets compounded.

shrug Just one of my odd opinions. It came up when I took a physical attraction test and the results said that I prefer women with large breasts when I know I really don’t (I like petite girls…). But going over the images, I realized that I was choosing the images with a better visual definition between the breasts and the torso as more attractive. (Not that the images were all that flattering in the first place.) I guess visually, I like to know exactly where the breast begins and ends…

quote:
Originally posted by Lamuness:
i have nothing against boobs as many of you know very well.....but then from a neutral perspective, maybe part of the reason why there are so much boobs is that japanese and asian girls tend to have smaller breasts which leads to a demand for big boobs from japanese people

but then we have the other side of the spectrum with lolicons so i personally think that it's rather balanced overall

Well, the problem with lolicons is that they're often drawn with no breasts to speak of, which I find equally unattractive.

It may be easier to draw large breasts, but it's not impossible to do a good job on smaller ones... I've seen them in a couple of my games (yes, Casual Romance Club was the exception to my rule of recently released games having large-breasted women... but it came directly from Japan, and not from the English market), and Bishounen_blue was kind enough to send me some screen caps from a couple of his games which had some excellent artwork depicting smaller breasts (and, believe me, the artwork from Utawareru Mono was superb, just for its quality).

I've already noted, however, that Japanese men have a fixation for larger breasts--probably, as Lamuness noted, because many Japanese women don't have them... but I still can't figure out why, with the games available in Japan that don't feature J-cups, that's what we're getting in America? (Apologies to those of you who do like large breasts... I just figure everyone should get a fair shake [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img] )

Okay, I’m going to throw a vampire lemon for that joke at the end, intentional or not…

Well, it sort of depends on the which Japanese companies are willing to do business with the American ones and which games from their library they allow to be translated. It’s still a limited subset of each, so we get only the smallest sampling.

Actually, now that I think about it, I’m sort of wondering how much the Japanese perception of American interests is coloring what they think will do well here and what they are willing to let be translated. After all, it does seem that one of the first major, er, “upgrades” American starlets (adult or otherwise) do is a breast enhancement. (Okay, maybe I’m just looking for an excuse to be thinking about breasts all day… )

i dont think that breasts r getting any bigger, part of the reason being that in some games the breasts r so big that any larger would destroy the Laws of Physics(even in computer simulated world)!
lol.

anyway, on the subject is it just me or are Takuya’s breasts shrinking as the X-change series progresses?

the same goes for big dicks… its probably because Japenese ppl don’t really have big tits or dicks so anime is where they put there dreams and wishes. They wish they were the guy with that HUGE COCK and doing a really hot girl with HUGE BREAST

Actually, that’s a universal guy thing.

------------------
精神 の 神

sorry for being slightly off-topic but a here’s a quick 2-second japanese tutorial because i think it’s our previous admin who screw the terms up, among many other things, so let’s try saying it the right way especially from the bishoujo context:

loli = the girls
lolicon = the people who are crazy about loli

please dont mix the 2 up, or your stuff are not going to make any sense

I kinda wondered… the term lolicon didn’t quite make sense to me in the context that it was being used, and I kept wanting to use the term loli, but figured, “Hey, I’m new, what do I know?” From now on, I’ll make it a point to use the correct terminology

At any rate… the theory about Japanese perceptions about the American sex scene may not be so off the mark. I have noticed that large breasts are the in thing. I dated a Japanese girl who decided to become an “exotic dancer.” After we eventually broke up, one of the first things she did was run out and get a breast enlargement. In fact, almost all the girls in that scene had either had one, or were saving up money to get one. The point being: there is a general perception that American men like big breasts. Ironically, I haven’t met too many men that do (I have met a few), but that’s the perception. Perhaps that’s why the Japanese market is feeding us games with large-breasted women…

quote:
Originally posted by Wolfson:
The point being: there is a general perception that American men like big breasts. Ironically, I haven't met too many men that do (I have met a few), but that's the perception. Perhaps that's why the Japanese market is feeding us games with large-breasted women...

Yet would that explain why they make the games to start with that have those characters? It might explain in part why those games are brought over, but does it explain why they are made that way in the first place? If it does, does that mean the general perceptions are held as universal to all men of all countries and not just those from the U.S.?

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 06-29-2004).]

one thing i have to point out…although it is mentioned by a few people already

the japanese companiese NEVER make the games for us (english market people), their first priority is their local japanese audiences, and so you should think from their perspective

as for what games are bring brought over, even i dunno how they are decided, but like a few people said, anything with lolis are discouraged because of underage-looking issues; keep in mind the cultural differences, the japanese tend to be more open to these kinda things than people here, many of whom are religious fundamentalists and play a huge and powerful role in society (that includes money), so sometimes even if you want a loli game to be brought over, it’s really hard on the company because we have to deal possible consequences