Which game have you found to be difficult?

I think I know another reason why I hate starting topics, I never know how to phrase the subject line…

I’ve been talking on GameFAQs to someone about a review they wrote on Snow Drop and we talked a little about how he felt that the game was too difficult and complex for him to really enjoy the game. So I started wondering, of the games that have been translated to English, which have you found was the most “difficult” to complete?

1.) GLORIA (too many variations, no SKIP-function)
2.) Dividead (some deciding actions were very well hidden)
3.) Kana (still searching for endings 1 and 6 and resisting the urge to use the walkthrough)
4.) Tokimeki CheckIn (Ume-San-ending)
5.) Snow Drop (Path into the real endings)

EDT: I restricted my answers to story-based games. I think, arcade-games like “Kotobuki” are not really comparable, but may be difficult to complete too (for example, the Sicile/Liza-level in the GLORIA - section of “Kotobuki” kept me busy for quite some time).

[This message has been edited by Unicorn (edited 01-28-2003).]

GloRiA still takes the crown for the most difficult Bishoujo game I have ever played. I think it’s designed to be more like a simulation RPG, that’s why there are so many branches, but when you want to get 100% CG, that’s very annoying. Too many branches, too many endings (around 40 I hear).

1. Gloria (pretty hard)
    2) Kana
    3) Divi Dead
    4) Private Nurse (still not finish)
    5) Tokimeki Check In/ Snow Drop

Hmm, I have not played as many games as some people here, so… I’d vote for Snow Drop, actually. I’ve fought with that game for a long time, and found all the endings, but not all CG’s, so I’d say that Snow Drop is the hardest oen ever. Tokimeki Check-In was not too hard; after playing for some time every evening for two weeks, I found the first ending, and by then, I had learned enough of the other character’s paths to find the rest of the endings rather quickly. Th eUme-san ending and the Yuki happy ending avoided me for some time, through… Kana is more or less the same, I’d say; hard, but not as hard as Snow Drop is…

Snow Drop was the most difficult game for me so far. It’s difficulty was that you had to think like Minoru.

Gloria was a real pain in the butt. Just trying to follow every path, then get all the CG’s in the slot game was an exercise in frustration.

Snow drop was probably the hardest game to figure out the path to the endings. Took me forever to get the right sequence of events to get me to the last days. Adam the double factor was just plain frustrating in the beginning figuring out what I needed to click to advance past meeting that one girl. I should try and play Kana again to try and get a good ending but I don’t think I’m ready to see her die again if I fail.

Hmm, interesting responses so far. Not much in the way of unexpected responses, but still an interesting selection.

Actually, I think Snow Drop ended up being a bit more difficult for “veteran” players because we’re mostly used to focusing on the invidiual girls to get the related endings. A lot of the newer players I talked to didn’t seem to have as much trouble shifting their focus to Minoru within the storyline.

1. Tokimeki Check-In- Really tiresome having to go through all that text for the H-scenes, especially on the last day with the Terrible Trio.

2. Cobra Mission- Waaaay too many battles, and the final maze was a pain in the ass.

3. Spellcasting 201- Never could figure out the final puzzles in the Board of Regents scenario.

Transfer Student. I usually play by the depth-first-search method, and Transfer Student offers tons of choices that don’t seem to do anything.

That, and the fact that I didn’t like the game, easily make it the hardest Bishoujo game I’ve ever played.

quote:
Originally posted by ZEN:
3. Spellcasting 201- Never could figure out the final puzzles in the Board of Regents scenario.

Hmm, I don't think I've heard of this game. What was it about?

Spellcasting rocks =)
Steve Meretzki is (togheter with Al Lowe ofcourse) the most hillarious computer game maker on earth ^___^

I especially loved the Rpg nerds in Spellcasting 101

1: Snowdrop
2: Gloria
3: Sensei 2
4: Check’in
5: Dividead

the only reason snowdrop is above gloria is because while its hard to get all the gloria endings, it is unlikely u’ll ever get the same ending twice, unlike snowdrop which u get the same ending all the time.

woot! im back!

Hmm
1. Kana (still cant draw my self to try for that “kana” ending)
2 Snow drop (since u had to do EXACTLY 1 thing to even remotly have a chance at the “not vacation ending”)
3 Divi Dead (this prolly belongs lower on the list, but i cant draw my self to play it again for another ending)
4 Gloria (Well it wasnt hard to finish, but it was hard to get the ending you wanted.)
5. Tokimiki Check In (only because you had to concentrate on 1 girls without straying once, not that thats bad, i like like being a player (like in True love you could have absolutly every girl in the game 1 time through) hehe)
6. Pia Carrot 3 (only because i didnt understand a single word so i had to remember certaint things… got 96% cg) woot!

[This message has been edited by Gambit (edited 02-04-2003).]

As for me, right now it’s most definitely SNOW DROP!!! I bought this game more than 2 years ago. Played it many times but only got the same ending. Only able to get the easy H-Scenes with Keiko (I hope that’s her name… it’s a while since I’ve tried playing it.) Anyways, I’ve put the game away for a year and a half now… lost all confidence to play it… still trying to build up my determination and thinking if I will be able to have enough courage to win the game and get all 100% CG. Sorry, I will not use walkthroughs, it’s my personal policy not to use them. This was actually the first bishoujo game that I bought too! I should be able to win this game if I try hard enough, but after too many unsuccessful attempts, it better to just let it be… with that same ending just for now.

I’m laughing at myself… heeheehee… so as to releave myself of the stress from just thinking about the game. -[-

quote:
Originally posted by eejeejee:
Sorry, I will not use walkthroughs, it's my personal policy not to use them.

That's an odd thing to apologize for. I've been pretty good about avoiding walkthroughs. Usually, I've been able to figure out each game's "logic" enough that I didn't need them. Except for Gloria. Too many nitpicky endings for it.

quote:

I should be able to win this game if I try hard enough, but after too many unsuccessful attempts, it better to just let it be... with that same ending just for now.

It's up to you. Snow Drop is still my favorite game and I think it's extremely worthwhile to finish. But if you ever want to try and give it another go, we can usually help guide you. Or you can go over whatever threads where we discuss it over in the help session. Heaven knows we've gone over it quite a few times.

quote:
Originally posted by ekylo:
It's up to you. Snow Drop is still my favorite game and I think it's extremely worthwhile to finish. But if you ever want to try and give it another go, we can usually help guide you. Or you can go over whatever threads where we discuss it over in the help session. Heaven knows we've gone over it quite a few times.

True. Well, wouldn't that prove that Snow Drop is the msot difficult game here? It's, after all, the game thast people ask questions about the most. Gah, just remembered that there still is a scene in Snow Drop I haven't been able to find...

[This message has been edited by Spectator Beholder (edited 02-11-2003).]

its only because you have to be at a specific place at a specific time, and to get everything you have to follow a specific track… unlike other games where you can still get the scenes another way, so long as you have so many points built up with many many characters
(and yes i know this rant has been said before but… not from me, so i feel it is my obligation to say it on behalf of the not speakers) or something to that matter.

quote:
Originally posted by Spectator Beholder:
True. Well, wouldn't that prove that Snow Drop is the msot difficult game here? It's, after all, the game thast people ask questions about the most. Gah, just remembered that there still is a scene in Snow Drop I haven't been able to find...

*shrugs* Possibly. Most of the questions I tend to answer concern either Snow Drop, TCI or the latest title to come out. (I'm sure I'll be hearing a few on Tsuki by the end of next week.) I still think it's a mindset thing, since the game logic was a bit different than what most people were used to.

Hmm, now I'm debating opening another thread topic concerning another thing that's been bothering me recently concerning FAQs and walkthroughs. Way too much thinking this early in the morning...

quote:
Originally posted by ekylo:
*shrugs* Possibly. Most of the questions I tend to answer concern either Snow Drop, TCI or the latest title to come out. (I'm sure I'll be hearing a few on Tsuki by the end of next week.) I still think it's a mindset thing, since the game logic was a bit different than what most people were used to.

I suppose so. The people here didn't seem to share the storyauthor's opinion of how a "hopeless romantic" should be like, and think, and how certain events would be related to it.