Witches of Salem

http://www.ruf-soft.com/gr15/index.htm

It seems to follow the Slave Bazaar formula.

Quite interesting, don’t you think?

Hmm, I don’t know… I’ve seen some of this new game at Ruf’s homepage and G-collections. But I don’t know… the story may be okay, but most of the characters is alittle lilicon ^^;. The style feels a little too cute too. But besides that, how does this game follow the Slave Bazaar formula?

(Oh, and don’t you think that Amkatori, the indian girl, is pretty? ^___^)

quote:
Originally posted by Spectator Beholder:
(Oh, and don't you think that Amkatori, the indian girl, is pretty? ^___^)

She reminds me of one of the girls from Neo Ranga.

Yes, but will it be historically correct? Or does that matter in a bishoujo game?

Made in DNA

it looks very interesting, i love the artwork…

but honestly, i would be happy enough if PeaPri would just release Slave Bazaar ::sob::

quote:
Originally posted by Seishin:
She reminds me of one of the girls from Neo Ranga.

Hmm? Neo Ranga?

quote:
Originally posted by Made in DNA:
Yes, but will it be historically correct? Or does that matter in a bishoujo game?

Both yes and no. I like histoical fiction, and since it's a "yes and no" mix, I like it.

quote:
but honestly, i would be happy enough if PeaPri would just release Slave Bazaar ::sob::

*Spectator & Lemons comforts the goddess* Then, then, We'll be able to see slave bazaar sooner or later, so don''t cry, okay? [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

You forgot to change the name in the last quote, Spec. I didn’t say that.

Heh, that would be a bit confusing…

Hmm, looks interesting. Wish I could understand more of what’s on that site though…

Considering that many of the people on the Witches of Salem production team also worked on Slave Bazaar, it’s rather understandable why the two games resemble each other.

(I can see the marketing now: “From the creators of Slave Bazaar…”)

quote:
Originally posted by Jeffrey:
Considering that many of the people on the Witches of Salem production team also worked on Slave Bazaar, it's rather understandable why the two games resemble each other.

(I can see the marketing now: "From the creators of Slave Bazaar...")

For some dumb reason you just made me think of the moviefone guy trying to sell a new bishoujo game (instead of a new movie)

"from the makers of slave bazaar comes a new adventure, in a differnt time... in a differnt place, somewhere far away.
Starring Meg, Julia and many others, brace your self this spring, comes SALEM WITCHCRAFT!"

nope i dont see that working that well.... specially being the same week matix comes out... heh

[This message has been edited by Gambit (edited 05-08-2003).]

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gambit:
[B]
For some dumb reason you just made me think of the moviefone guy trying to sell a new bishoujo game (instead of a new movie)

"from the makers of slave bazaar comes a new adventure, in a differnt time… in a differnt place, somewhere far away.
Starring Meg, Julia and many others, brace your self this spring, comes SALEM WITCHCRAFT!"

nope i dont see that working that well…

quote:
You forgot to change the name in the last quote, Spec. I didn't say that.

[img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/redface.gif[/img]

AAHH! I'msorryI'msorryI'msorryI'msorry!! *begs the Goddess to forgive him*

I really like the look of the characters, although I agree they are a bit loliconish (if that’s even a word). Would like to see PeaPri translate it, but we still have to get through the Will games backlog to even get to it, though.

quote:
Originally posted by Doug:
I really like the look of the characters, although I agree they are a bit loliconish (if that's even a word). Would like to see PeaPri translate it, but we still have to get through the Will games backlog to even get to it, though.

That's true. I really do want them to get through their backlog and get the titles they've announce out. Heck, I even want Gibo now since I finally saw the anime based on it. (Mainly to be finally able to say that I played a game and seen the anime based on it, I'm so easy to please... )

The last page of the May 2003 Charara newsletter contains a short interview with Witches of Salem artist Yuryou and scenario writers Maasuu and Suginuma.

The following may not be an entirely accurate translation (as my Japanese isn’t THAT good), but I believe that the gist of it shines through. (Please, though, do forgive whatever mistakes I might have committed.)

Q: To ask about Witches of Salem, I came all the way here to Nagoya. laughs This may be sudden, but how did this story come about?

Maasuu: The scenario for this game came about with the idea of “witch-hunting.” After researching history, it was discovered that witch-hunting had remarkable reasons behind it. For example, those targeted were normal people. These people were having unordinary lives when they suddenly became targets of witch-hunts. We wanted to try writing a story about "what would you do then?"
Suginuma: But the main character cannot do anything to change the fact about witch-hunting [that it is happening]. This is the same as Slave Bazaar. Cassius [the main character in SB], of course, and everyone else could not change what was history. In that time, how would you live? In Witches of Salem, we used that concept as a basis for an ordinary citizen to write the scenario.

Q: The artwork, like Slave Bazaar, is done by Yuryou-san. Shoukuzai(?) (Guiltless–I assume it was an earlier game drawn by Yuryou) was also a historical piece, so isn’t drawing these games a chore?

Yuryou: Ah, but I like drawing medieval western characters. Their clothes are also cute, but these time the instructions for the weapons were very detailed. laughs
Suginuma: We gave very precise instructions on the muskets and other weapons. We thought we could convey a realistic feeling of the world if they were made as detailed and accurate as possible.
Maasuu: Suginuma-san’s knowledge and ideas were fully realized, weren’t they?
Suginuma: My mind completely empty when we were through. laughs Even ideas originally reserved for Slave Bazaar 2 were used, so I have to fill [my mind] up again.

Q: From the theme, one would get the impression that it is a dark game, but the sample CGs on the website were all cheery and bright.

Maasuu: They are all scenes from the unordinary lives of normal people, and because [that idea] is very important in the story, those CGs were all given a cheerful quality.
Suginuma: There are more scenes about daily life [in Witches of Salem] than in Slave Bazaar. The heroines’ normal lives are changed when they become targets of witch-hunts. The sudden transformation is the theme of this game.
Yuryou: However, sometimes I get instructions for spectacular gag scenes. “Is there a scene like this?” I sometimes wonder. laughs It did give me a good change of mood, though. laughs

Q: There are many characters this time too.

Suginuma: There are a lot. And they’re all old men. I feel sorry for Yuryou-san.
Yuryou: No, I don’t dislike drawing old men. But because there are too many of them, sometimes I want to draw cute boys. laughs
Maasuu: There was a character whose personality is just like mine, and the face is just like mine too. laughs Anyhow, because it is a very full story, people with bad personalities at first may undergo changes later. Of course, as a whole, we hope that you will see [such evolving] human relationships in the story.

Q: There seems to be a lot to look forward to.

Suginuma: The CG quality is very high, and the music contains good dramatic themes. Of course, we are fully confident in the story, so please play it. Additionally, Witches of Salem is set 80 years later in the same world as Slave Bazaar, so one character from Slave Bazaar will make an appearance.
Maasuu: Additional games for Ruf’s historical series will take place in the same world, so please look forward to it.

quote:
Originally posted by Jeffrey:
Maasuu: Suginuma-san's knowledge and ideas were fully realized, weren't they?
Suginuma: My mind completely empty when we were through. *laughs* Even ideas originally reserved for Slave Bazaar 2 were used, so I have to fill [my mind] up again.

"Slave Bazaar 2"?

Alright, gimme a few minutes and I can get the unholy ninjas geared up...

quote:
Originally posted by Nandemonai:
"Slave Bazaar 2"?

Alright, gimme a few minutes and I can get the unholy ninjas geared up...

I did tell you that I heard about a Slave Bazaar 2 before, didn't I? [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/tongue.gif[/img]. Still, this rumor seems be confirmed now, and we know that Ruf is now woeking on a Slave Bazaar 2 :3.

Still, now when we know a little more about Witches of Salem, it seems like a more interesting game than we first throught that it was [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img].

[This message has been edited by Spectator Beholder (edited 05-15-2003).]

I’m thinking about starting a petition topic for this game, but like I said, we still have to get through the Will backlog before even thinking about this game.

Right, but hey, that’s at least a good idea what to do with our picket-line after Slave Bazaar (1) has been finally released…

quote:
Originally posted by Unicorn:
Right, but hey, that's at least a good idea what to do with our picket-line after Slave Bazaar (1) has been finally released... [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

Hey! Isn't that one to be used for Slave Bazaar 2? [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/tongue.gif[/img].