Yaoi question

I know I may be asking the wrong crowd, but we’re trying to see what might be good in the way of a yaoi game to translate, what kinds of themes you (or anyone you know) might want to play, and so on? The truth of the matter is, there is no company that makes bishoujo games and yaoi games, so it means we have to rustle up some new contacts from scratch. But if you have any input (or links) we’d love to hear them.

I think at this point seeing any yaoi (boys love) game in English would stir interest.
The market for yaoi anything (anime, games, manga) overseas is still very scarce.

http://animenation.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=132459

Try asking people in the Yaoi/Yuri forum at AN, i’m sure you will get a good idea after that.
Themes that yaoi fans are into vary, just like any bishoujo gamer, so it’s hard to say what is wanted by the majority.

Unlike games that focus on nonconsensual acts, yaoi games wouldn’t pose any ethical problems. I have no interest in the subject matter, myself. How many of the buy-anything-to-promote-the-industry advocates would purchase more titles they don’t enjoy playing?

Perhaps PP could rustle up some new contacts with Japanese companies that offer yuri games as well. I bet they would appeal to many of us straight males. If PP is ready to open discussion with other developers, how about talking to some of the other b-game companies, too? Key has some very interesting products in their catalog.

Alice Soft makes both yaoi and bishoujo. I actually know very little about them, but I noticed that they had games in both genres.

I have no interrest in yaoi personally, now yuri, that i would buy.

Ohh yeah if you get some contacts in alice soft then you can bring over some of their rpgs too. Like square of the moon I already bought the japanese version but am more than willing to buy an english localized version

As for Yaoi, sorry but I think I gotta draw the line somewhere on what I’ll purchase for the genre

I am inclined to agree with most of the other thoughts already voiced, I would be interested in any yuri you might be able to bring across, but no interest at all in yaoi.

I’d be interested in either Yaoi and Yuri, I don’t discriminate, probably they would even be educational.

I would make myself play a yaoi game that had a decent story. Something like Kango, but yaoi - I don’t think I’d go near it with a ten-foot pole for my other ten-foot pole. But something like Snow Drop, or (so I hear) Crescendo - but a yaoi game? I’ll play it. The yaoi material would be discomforting, but I would put up with it.

This is because I have no problem with yuri, and therefore have an equal opportunity policy. I have nothing against yaoi; I have something against bad yaoi. I’ve heard good things about Fake for instance, but have never been brave enough to actually read any.

quote:
Originally posted by Peter Payne:
I know I may be asking the wrong crowd, but we're trying to see what might be good in the way of a yaoi game to translate, what kinds of themes you (or anyone you know) might want to play, and so on? The truth of the matter is, there is no company that makes bishoujo games and yaoi games, so it means we have to rustle up some new contacts from scratch. But if you have any input (or links) we'd love to hear them.

No company that makes both b-games and yaoi-games? What about that label of Will, Langmaor, then? They've done 2 yaoi-games so far if I remember correctly, they're a part of Will, so it might be easier to catch their interest and if I remember correctly, Yura-sensei does quite a bit of their artwork...

As for what my opinion on PP releasign Yaoi-gameswould be.. Well, that would depend on. Having watched a bit of both Yami no Matsuei and Gravitation and finding that I liek those, I know that the subject isn't a replusive one (or whatever you'd call it) to me. But I'm unsure of what kind of themes I'd like to see...

Hmm, why not try and release a game like Dual colors? After all, fromw at I've heard it is a game that has both Yaoi, Yuri and normal bishoujo, depending on how you play...

quote:
Originally posted by perigee:
How many of the buy-anything-to-promote-the-industry advocates would purchase more titles they don't enjoy playing?

Considering how I am, I probably would. After all, I've dragged myself through Sensei 2, Tsuki and Shukketsubo. Neither did I shy away from Water Closet. I'd play it out of a) sheer curiostiy and b) my partial psychosis with these games. Does't mean I'd play it often though...

But considering yaoi isn't one of my main focuses, I don't even know of any yaoi games. Heck, look at the problem I had trying to figure out a yaoi anime title to give to my friends... [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/tongue.gif[/img]

It would certainly be a good idea to explore an as yet relatively untapped market. Knowing our luck the games would sell millions and spell the end for bishojo

As for myself, I wouldn’t want to play yaoi games. However I don’t see how that could possibly constitute any form of “discrimination”, it’s simply a preference; akin to steering clear of material with an overabundance of rape, S&M or any other fetish that appeals to me none.

Mrm. I’d have some interest, but I don’t know much about the japanese yaoi market.

I read a good deal of m/m fanfic (almost always written by women, and laughed at by actual gay men) and I find it quite sexy and romantic.

But when I’ve looked at yaoi artwork, I tend to snicker. It’s hard to find a good middle ground between everyone having ridiculously long hair and pastels and flower petals flying everywhere, and somewhat-icky hardcore sex.

A good gay romance needs a subtle touch to work for me. And it has to be a romance - gay SEX does nothing for me. Boys kissing, boys touching, that’s nice. Anal rampage, ew.

There has to be emotion. There has to be a little bit of angst - the fear of the Forbidden Love.

(If you have a LOT of spare time on your hands and are actually interested in what I like in slashfic, check out The Pride of Lions at http://www.mindspring.com/~bluecham/ - It’s very long. It’s a novel. She has short stories too, I’ve only read the Trek ones.)

The level of writing and focus on the visuals of h-games makes me wary of yaoi titles. Similarly, I find futanari scenes in fiction very very hot. Graphically, it’s not that interesting.

I don:t do yaoi sorry. I thikn youshould concentrate on the current market… I doubt you will find half the market tha you guys have with b-games

Sorry, I won’t buy or play Yaoi games. I have to draw the line somewhere, and this is it.

I didn’t mean I was against having gay sex in the game, just that the sex scenes would not be where my interest was, so I’d be disappointed if the focus were all on sex and not on angsty romantic buildup to sex.

(I’m actually a little like that with straight sex as well - much more interested in characters and erotic half-nude pictures than in the hardcore bits. I bought Critical Point censored both because it was cheap and because I really don’t care much about the hardcore parts.)

quote:
Originally posted by ekylo:
Considering how I am, I probably would. After all, I've dragged myself through Sensei 2, Tsuki and Shukketsubo. Neither did I shy away from Water Closet. I'd play it out of a) sheer curiostiy and b) my partial psychosis with these games. Does't mean I'd play it often though...

But considering yaoi isn't one of my main focuses, I don't even know of any yaoi games. Heck, look at the problem I had trying to figure out a yaoi anime title to give to my friends... [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/tongue.gif[/img]

I'm like Ekylo. I'm more than willing to buy one just to try it out.

And slightly off-topic, did anyone see the Deep End (was on theaters 2 years back)? There was a fairly explicit gay scene. First time I ever encountered it on the big screen, but highly entertaining nonetheless. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

quote:
Originally posted by papillon:
A good gay romance needs a subtle touch to work for me. And it has to be a romance - gay SEX does nothing for me. Boys kissing, boys touching, that's nice. Anal rampage, ew.

There has to be emotion. There has to be a little bit of angst - the fear of the Forbidden Love.

Amen. I'd happily buy and play something romantic, even if the romance was m/m. (Or girls-side straight romance, where it's the bishounen who get the on-screen time and the CGs, in the way I understand TokiMemo Girls Side works.) I'd skip past any actual sex on high-speed, though.

I'd be interested to play something Crescendo-like, or even a comedy, the equivalent of Gravitation which I enjoyed. Maybe something like Tokimeki Check-In... I don't really know what the yaoi/bishounen games market is like, though, beyond having glanced at the "Boys" section on Himeya.

I already don't go near anything where the emphasis is on non-consensual; anything where the emphasis is on yaoi *sex* (not romance) would have me steering clear too.

Well, I think that answers the question about interest. It’s not often I see several new people sign up to apparantly chime in on a specific thread like this. Although Payne-sama was apparantly right about most of the regulars here probably being the wrong crowd to ask. (Just my opinion based on the responses, don’t make an issue of it…)

And now I’m just curious. I need to look up that Gakuen Heaven that several people mentioned…

Hey I’m all for PP expanding, as long as they don’t resources away from the games they are already working on. And that idea of making a new label for the Yaoi games is probably a good idea as you might scare the Yaoi phobic crowd from your normal bishoujo games by mixing them together.

I personally shudder at the though of yaoi and yuri, because IMO, it just isn’t right…