Anime recommendations

I don’t know about Naruto, since I never really had the time for it… but Saiyuki.

Here’s the thing about Saiyuki. First, I’m more then familiar worth the whole Journey to the West storyline, and the story seemed liked a postmodernist attempt at telling it. Secondly, I know its faults, and they;re glaring; plot gaps, lazy author who can’t be arsed to finish the damn thing (she moves so slow, and she keeps putting in filler in the manga, and the TV series catches up with her manga too fast so they put in even more filler), not to mention that it seems to be tailor-made for the fujoshi market (and I’m neither a girl nor am I gay)

BUT… I do like Saiyuki for Genjo Sanzo alone. Out of every other character I’ve seen, Genjo Sanzo was the closest to a presentation of Nietzsche’s Ubermensch. Well, there is Haruhi Suzumiya, but Sanzo’s interpretation is a unique one.

Sanzo is the epitome of Bertrand RUssell’s Buddha versus Nietzsche argument:

http://www.sscnet.ucla.edu/classes/cluster21/wiki/index.pl?NietzscheVsBuddhaByBertrandRussell

Sanzo, though an atheist, and an ethical egoist at that (but self-spiritual, like a Nietzschean as opposed to an objectivist), still has the Buddhistic theachings of compassion for others, which he feels in his bonding with his followers, especially with child-like SOn Goku.

Lastly, Sanzo’s continuous mantra" Kill the Buddha as you meet him’, is an obscure, but actual, Buddhist teaching; one may eventually have to overcome Buddha in order to attain Enlightenment.

Of course, that was a while back, but, if Minekura ever finishes Saiyuki in full, and if I have the time, I’m willing to go through the entire thing just to see the few golden moments where Sanzo shifts between strength and weakness.

~

There are exceptions, but they depend on when I saw them, their extended length, and how familair I am with them. Fushigi Yuugi is one, as it had a reverse harem (with sex, though its never really shown) and it’s relatively old, and, furthermore, it has only 52 episodes, with a limited number of OVA episodes (though I’m not keen on the OVA as, judging from a preview of it, it looks more like some fanfic)

Higurashi isd estined to become another, but, unless 7th expansions decides to be complete buggers and pull another 4 acrs on us, and DEEN decide to animate those as well, I can forsee a 52 limit for them, and Higurahsi wasn’t that bad either.

Another candidate is Kiddy Grade. Iw as kinda shocked when AYa Hirano mentioned theyw ere doing a second season, as Kiddy Grade already ended very well, but, Gonzo beign Gonzo, I have my faith in them.

~

All that being said, I personally wish more shows went out of their 13 episode rut, and were given an additional 13 episodes, with a proper ending. For instance, Hiabane Renmei deserved more episodes (I sre as hell would like to see more male Haibane, in their cool pseudo-ganster lifetsyle) Then there’s Elfen Lied, who everyone knows about that ending.

[ 12-14-2006, 11:44 AM: Message edited by: Phineas Lucis ]

INMA SEIDEN~Series

~
Just want to add…

Hmm…well, it says it is an officially licensed copy at any rate. Looks very well done (other than a few subtitle language sanfu’s, like framing and “Engrish” translations.

Then again, perhaps? Always has been a legit dealer to me in the past but I have no reference point on this (least for checking REC license from here.) :confused:

It’s okay in the english translated manga. Mostly just the ususal gripes. The US dubbing makes pokemon look unedited by comparison and laregly destroys the plot.

It is really the anime that drives this series more than the manga, even in Japan (which is unusual). The fansubs are so much better. People who say One Piece sucks have almost never seen the raw or fansubbed anime (not the HK subs).

[ 12-14-2006, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: Jinnai ]

While I really wish there had been more Haibane Renmei as well, the show is over. At the end of the series, they’ve finished the main story – leaving only the mysteries behind the world they’ve built. And the show is much better off for NOT explaining those mysteries. Explaining everything would cheapen it somehow, I think; set aside the fact that we’re supposed to be following characters (the Haibane themselves) who are also kept in the dark, so having everything be explained wouldn’t really mesh well.

Besides, I’m pretty sure the creator was making it up as he went along. You can only keep that up for so long.

(Note: nothing I’ve said is intended to be a criticism of the show; it’s easily one of my Top Ten favorite anime. I just think that the show’s done what it set out to do, and adding more episodes would probably hurt it more than help it.)

Anything can proclaim to be officially licensed. :wink:

The easy way to see if it’s a bootleg is if there’s more than 4 or 5 episodes on one DVD, and Chinese subtitles.

Though if the English is mostly okay, it probably isn’t a bootleg.

The Chinese subtitles are generally the key here since many companies put some of their less popular series on fewer disks with as many as 7 episodes.

Well, it matches on part of that. The series is only 8 episodes long and is only on one disk. This might make sense considering how short it (the series) is.

The quality of the anime is great; only the subtitles occasionally being off (out of frame on two scenes) and the odd translation to English (grammar and sentence structure) make me wonder. Considering the fact I’ve seen such things even out of ADV films in the past (and they are the biggest legitimate anime translation/production company in the US)…well, I’m up in the air on it.

It does have Chinese subtitles in the subtitle menu. Again, hmm…

I’ve seen licensed anime for the Chinese market before that was legitimate. In that case it was because the licensee felt there was more of a market for that title in China than in the US. Again, since it is making me wonder, I will try to locate any information over the REC title.

Well… possibly. And I’dd add that he was relying a lot on Haruhki Murakami.

And yet, I ahve to note that aBe did express a wish in doign another series. Afetr all, onyl one side of the city was shown, and I’m not really all that interested in putting too much detail into creating another milleu (unless aBe is actyually taking the time to make his world look good), but, an alternate storyline, maybe unrelated to that of Rakka and Reki, that focuses on male relationships, as oppsoed to female relationships, would be an interesting thought.

This might be a little late. But…

I sincerely recommend… He Is My Master or… Kore ga Watashi no Goshujin-sama?..

View previews HERE … :o

Now… I’ll just sit back…and let the links do all the talking… :wink:

He Is my Master looks good, I Don’t know if i should import it or wait till it comes out here (can take a long time).

I have too many Anime’s (we’ll Manga’s, Anime’s and B-Games are my Hobby :slight_smile: ) but my favourites are:

-Noir
-Slayers (+Next, +Try and the Movies)
-Ghost in the Shell (+part 2, SAC and 2nd GIC, don’t see see Solid State Society yet)
-Onegai Teacher
-Elfen Lied
-Yukikaze
-La Blue Girl (+ Returns and Lady Blue)
-Steamboy
-Vampire Hunter D (+Bloodlust)
-Betterman
-Azumanga Daioh
and all other :stuck_out_tongue:

I like only SUB’s. Because the most German DUB’s are horrible, same as the English plus the Japanese DUB’s gives a better Atmosphere.

Inukami!- if you love doggirls, and twin doggirls. Oh, yeah, also kitsune.

Ghost Hunt- suspect shoujo anime, it is really very good.

Soukou no Strain- it reminded of female Gundam Wings. Sara seeked to have revenge against her own brother. Her brother murdered her best friends with his robot.

Sumomo mo momo mo- I love it!!! It is really better than Ranma 1/2.

Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge- it is really very good. You might know it as Tokyopop’s The Wallflower. points avatar

Good Animes:

Kenshin aka samurai X trust and betryal
Kenshin / Samurai X reflections
Kare Kano (his and her circumstance)
Black Lagoon
Elfen lied
Zone of the Enders Dolores i / Idolo
Macross
Macross plus
Macross Zero
Mobile Suit Gundam
Zeta Gundam
Chars counter attack
I’'s
Rumbling Hearts / Kimi ga nozume eien
GTO
Crest of the Stars
Banner of the stars
Argento Soma
Evangelion
Rahxephon
Blue Gender
captain Taylor
Nadesico
Kanon 2006
Air
To Heart
to list goes on.

[ 01-28-2007, 12:12 AM: Message edited by: Idofgrahf ]

And another one…

Tyukuyomi MOON PHASE

I’ve only gone halfway thru the series and I must say… This one’s going to go great in anyone’s collection.

I’m controlling the urge to add any spoilers…so, just see it for yourself/yourselves…! :slight_smile:

Saiunkoku Monogatari (I’m not good at explaining it, but, I recommend it very much. Shoujo Anime at it’s finest. Even the manga is great.Bishounens And wait it’s got a plot, too. XDD)

Love Hina (I liked it more than Ai yori whatever. I guess cause it was more funnier.)

Trigun (I hate to say this, but I liked it more than Cowboy bebop. 0_o Sry to ones who like Cowboy bebop, nothing bad against it, or anything, I just prfer Trigun.)

Revoluntionary Girl: Utena (I have to admit, I liked Utena, even if it is Shoujo-ai.and I don’t like yuri at all. Utena is an exception. Guess it counts as older anime now??)

Yu Yu Hakusho (Kurama. Really that’s why I love the series, because of Kurama.The end.)

Rurouni Kenshin (Kenshin, the end, no wait, Aoshi, no, Sanosake, GAH! it’s good.)

Peacemaker (Shinsengumi, the end. I’m a sucker for Shinsengumi guys. XXDDDD)

Please keep in mind that I am a woman, and I like Bishounens.XXXDDDDDDD’

Here’s ones I am planning to watch, if you have seen them please say if it’s good or not.

Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto (S-S-Shinsengumi!!! XD)

Black Blood Brothers (Vampires! XDD)

Damekko Doubutsu

Gakuen Heaven (I know it’s shounen-ai.)

Ghost Hunt

Gintama

Honey & Clover

Hunter X Hunter (By the same guy that made Kurama, I mean Yu Yu hakusho! XD)

Kiba

Legend of Basara

Nana

Night Head Genesis

Red Garden

Shounen Onmyouji

St.Luminous Mission High School

Sugar Sugar Rune

Sumomomo Momomo

Tenshi na Konamaiki (Cheeky Angel)

Violinist of Hamelin

Thanks!

I loved Tenshi na Konamaiki because Megumi Hayashibara used her voice for Megumi (main character).

Ghost Hunt (updating)- “Doll House” file made me scary. “Silent Christmas” file made me sad. “Prohibited Game” made me confused. “Blood-soaked maze” made me scared, and confused.

Tokimeki Memorial Only Love- It is sort of harem anime. It made me laugh. Tough chick, I mean baby chicken… was too tough bastard. It had very good story.

Kanon (2006) - it was really very good and running 24 episodes. It was emotional. Ayu was funny and using her voice like young boy (often “boku” than “atashi”). Nayuki was too cute. Makoto was too cute. Shiori was quiet and nice. Mai was quiet and talked short.

Karin- it is licensed by Geneon. It is vampire and human romance comedy drama. It was pretty good. I bet that you will love it. You may know it as manga released to America. It retitled- Chibi Vampire because it avoided confusing another manga: Kamichama Karin.

EDIT-

Nodame Cantabile- musical comedy drama. It was really good. Nodame was really slob because she did not know how to cook and clean. Nodame’s VA is popular- Ayako Kawasumi. Nodame is madly fall in love to Shinichi. She plays piano so well.

[ 03-05-2007, 12:38 AM: Message edited by: RonXE ]

I would love to see Karin, when it gets released, if it is already. I forgot to add it. I haven’t read the manga yet. I thought it would be cute to watch the anime, vampire girl in love with human boy, and she has a bleeding problem. LoL I really want it 0_0

I basicaly want to see all of the ones I listed, and more I haven’t thought to list yet. ^_^v

Geneon announced it licensed Karin/Chibi Vampire Anime, two weeks ago (Feb 16). It may release this summer or next year. I will check more updating news at animenewsnetwork.com.

well, I recommend Initial D
just watch the first 3 episodes
and you’ll be hooked :slight_smile:

I am currently on My Hime, funny, thanks for all that sugested it. I now have enough to watch for the next ten years, few have noticed that I have been short on time so I haven’t been around as lately. but I do apprechiate all your feedback. Thanks