C-G's Virtual-Mate?

quote:
Originally posted by Nameless Mofo:
Like I said, I don't want to debate you. This is my position and I'm not changing it. But I felt that you were painting all us anti-VM folks with the same brush, and I want to clarify for everyone on this board and elsewhere exactly what MY position is, and the reasoning I have for taking that position.

Perhaps I was. With each new post, I tend to leave out more and more details, and start generalizing more and more instead.

I don't have a problem with people not liking the system. That I can understand, even if I don't mind it myself. It's the way these reactions sometimes surface I can't understand. When people who disagree on principle (not because of actual inconvinience) scream stuff like "betrayal, spyware, G-Collections should die" and such, I feel that they've gone too far. G-Collections is trying to survive, and are implementing this system to that end, not to piss people off or make life difficult for them.

G-Collections know they leave some of their already few customers behind by making their games require internet, so I can't imagine that this is a decision they've made lightly. Their apparent lack of knowledge of the V-Mate system, and lack of forethought when it comes to how this will be used by them, seems to suggest that this is something they haven't really entered wholeheartedly. I'd like to hear the full story from G-Collections, but I seriously doubt they will tell us.

Anyway, my reaction is mostly towards the lack of civil behaviour towards the G-Collections staff, not towards disliking the system. I'm an "if it ain't broken..." person, but I'm hoping that the V-Mate system will offer something making it worth the trouble, other than $10 off, which is money I'm sure G-Collections need more than me.

[This message has been edited by AG3 (edited 10-21-2004).]

quote:
Originally posted by AG3:
It's the way these reactions sometimes surface I can't understand. When people who disagree on principle (not because of actual inconvinience) scream stuff like "betrayal, spyware, G-Collections should die" and such, I feel that they've gone too far. G-Collections is trying to survive, and are implementing this system to that end, not to piss people off or make life difficult for them.

(This is also not to start a debate)

Though joining this discussion late after finally getting time away from my thesis, I think the point (at least from my view) is in part G-Collections has not acted in 'good faith' toward their customers.

They gave little information at first and since have continually seem to provide misinformation (i.e. patch one year after release suddenly becomes one year after the final game is sold), that does not sound like something that is made to please customers or keep them happy without pissing them off, nor something that is done in the 'good faith' concept of business.

Though even if you are right, and they are trying to survive with this system they are really going about it the wrong way, angering customers, providing misinformation, not clarifying, giving responses that say nothing more then "give it a try" rather then addressing concerns raised and when they do address concerns it is not new information or is information taken back the next hour.

To top it off they now announce another 'new' game they plan to release in the future, which kind of shoots the idea of their going out of business anytime soon since I doubt they would announce a new game today if they thought there was a chance they would be out of business tomorrow.

[edit=spelling mistakes]

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 10-21-2004).]

Perhaps you are right, I don’t know; I don’t have any more answers than you do. But I still believe in behaving like a civilized being when criticising, at least until you have proof you’re being maliciously screwed over.

quote:
Perhaps you are right, I don't know; I don't have any more answers than you do. But I still believe in behaving like a civilized being when criticising, at least until you have proof you're being maliciously screwed over.
The real problem is, and I don't disagree with you it might be better to argue points (behave) in a civilized manner, but by the time you can prove you are being maliciously screwed over it's too late as you already have been maliciously screwed over. It's better I think to try and prevent those moments from happening before they do, or at least as many of them as possible, and it gets easier to see when they might happen the more times it has happened.
quote:
Originally posted by Dark_Shiki:
That particular summer, I housesitted for my grandparents while they were away. For two weeks, I was completely alone (and without broadband for downloading), so I passed the time reading the message board here at Peach Princess. In particular, I read the "discussion" members here had with Virgofenix, and I got to thinking. Maybe I shouldn't pirate these games after all? It wasn't a solid conviction at that point, but I was bored, and I wanted something new to play. What the hell? I purchased Kana and Day of Love, thinking that would be a good mix: one game I really wanted, and one I could play when my grandparents got back without fear of discovery (plus it was cheap). I played Kana and I was wowed. Even Crescendo couldn't compare with this masterpiece. Finally, a title that I felt was worth the $45 they charged for these games.

Since then I've been a convert. I don't buy many b-games, admittedly, but I don't pirate them anymore either. I'm finally getting Private Nurse, which as I said I've been interested in for a while, despite being a little put-off by the CG. I've also ordered Hourglass of Summer, which people here seem to rate highly for its story. I'm looking forward to Little My Maid and Gun Shield Warrior Sakigake, and Let's Meow Meow! or Hitomi, My Stepsister sometime in the forseeable future.

And...that's my story. I hope in time that B-games will become popular enough that the variety and quality of translated games will rise, and I can buy them as often as I buy regular RPG's.

o_O
This means that the crusade I started against Virgofenix wasn't in vain after all! Woohoo! [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]
I'm glad that I've been a part in this. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img]
quote:
Originally posted by SCDawg:
The real problem is, and I don't disagree with you it might be better to argue points (behave) in a civilized manner, but by the time you can prove you are being maliciously screwed over it's too late as you already have been maliciously screwed over. It's better I think to try and prevent those moments from happening before they do, or at least as many of them as possible, and it gets easier to see when they might happen the more times it has happened.

Well, if that happens, at least it will be the last thing G-Collections do before being boycotted by most of their customers. And with the reduced profit margins the V-Mate system will bring them, I'm not so sure they won't go under anyway.

quote:
Well, if that happens, at least it will be the last thing G-Collections do before being boycotted by most of their customers. And with the reduced profit margins the V-Mate system will bring them, I'm not so sure they won't go under anyway.
I would really like to know more about G-Collection's "man behind the curtain", who is there backer if they have one. They have this system announced, they hear the backlash to it, and yet they do not hesitate to announce a new future game, which to me means they don't think even with this backlash they will be hit hard enough to threaten them as a company.

True it might just be a sign of hope, but if it is a hope, wouldn't they hold back on the new title at least for another 5 days to see how first day sales of the first game with V-Mate differ from previous first day sales to see if they have a reason to be worried?

quote:
Originally posted by SCDawg:
True it might just be a sign of hope, but if it is a hope, wouldn't they hold back on the new title at least for another 5 days to see how first day sales of the first game with V-Mate differ from previous first day sales to see if they have a reason to be worried?

I guess they could always abandon the V-Mate system if it doesn't work out for them. A simple patch can remove the need for the server/hardware check, so there's no reason for them to stop translating games. But your right, it does imply that they are confident the system will work like planned.

I guess we'll have an answer near the end of October. I'm curious as to how the "silent majority" of the customers will react to this...

quote:
But your right, it does imply that they are confident the system will work like planned.

I guess we'll have an answer near the end of October. I'm curious as to how the "silent majority" of the customers will react to this...

That or they have enough knowledge of a much larger number that will buy then those here that said they would not buy, G-Collections can afford not to worry if their system will work or if this whole thing is a colossal blunder that will be jettisoned after this game. Yet it is also possible they have some backer that will bail them out just this once so sink or swim they can afford to be a little cocky and announce a new game even with a system they think might fail three games before that new game is to be released.

I am interested in that too, and wonder how long it will take to see, or if we will even know, when the "results are in". Given how they announced the system it might be a few weeks before the next game is released that we learn if the system stays or is no longer being used.

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 10-21-2004).]

quote:
Perhaps you are right, I don't know; I don't have any more answers than you do. But I still believe in behaving like a civilized being when criticising, at least until you have proof you're being maliciously screwed over.

From what they said, i'm out of the game. Don't play the italian with me AG3 because i'm more italian then you. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

"Non lo freghi il santaro".

The thing that bothers me the most is the blanket condemnation of us all. I wish that they had gone with a system that remains passive until someone tries to crack the code, rather than constantly monitoring legitmate users and invading thier privacy.

That way, only the pirates themselves get hurt.

[This message has been edited by kmusky (edited 10-21-2004).]

quote:
Originally posted by kmusky:
The thing that bothers me the most is the blanket condemnation of us all. I wish that they had gone with a system that remains passive until someone tries to crack the code, rather than constantly monitoring legitmate users and invading thier privacy.

That way, only the pirates themselves get hurt.

[This message has been edited by kmusky (edited 10-21-2004).]

Starforce 3 caused problems not only when passive, kmusky. That's why many games that used that S3 are cracked. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/frown.gif[/img]

I was just thinking…

We have argued with Virgofenix a lot, and heard how he thinks piracy is a good thing in the end, that it will make the companies think and make better decisions, lower their price, etc.

How wrong he was.

quote:
Originally posted by Italicus:
Don't play the italian with me AG3 because i'm more italian then you. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

Errr.. ok?

quote:

Pardon?

wow, 400 posts on this issue in a week (combining the posts on the other similar thread about gc’s decision change), this is impressive (although most of the posts are generated within the first few days) :stuck_out_tongue:

quote:

Pardon?

Do not try to sell water to a fish, kid.

[This message has been edited by Italicus (edited 10-21-2004).]

quote:
Originally posted by Lamuness:
wow, 400 posts on this issue in a week (combining the posts on the other similar thread about gc's decision change), this is impressive (although most of the posts are generated within the first few days) :P

What? not enough work for you in these boards? :P

quote:

Do not try to sell water to a fish, kid.

Let's stop the hostilies (again), please? [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

It would be interesting to see how long it'll be before an unauthorized patch to circumvent VM will come out. Anyone wanna take bets? [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

The problem is, the “silent majority” probably don’t have access to the same information as us. They’ll buy the game, find out that they’ve been “had” only after the fact, and will never buy G-collections games again (or maybe any B-games for that matter). Thus initial sales might not even be affected. They might even go up due to the price drop, which is more apparent to the consumer than anything related to V-mate. We might not know the market’s true reaction to V-mate for several months, and by that time there’s no turning back. If customers react like most of us have, G-collections will already have lost the majority of its regular customers for good by the time the sales figures starting taking a hit. That’s why I’m puzzled G-collections is still going ahead with this at full steam. They’re either very confident (because they know something we don’t), or very foolish. For their own sake, it better be the former.

[This message has been edited by Dark_Shiki (edited 10-21-2004).]

quote:
Originally posted by Dark_Shiki:
They're either very confident (because they know something we don't), or very foolish. For their own sake, it better be the former.

La seconda che hai detto. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/frown.gif[/img]

IInd one for me.